Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1260 on: July 25, 2014, 10:07:17 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: July 25, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »

This was posted on FB earlier:

"Apparently CLM has just been airlifted to Calgary via STARS after serious accident "

No details but some kind of accident on the Trans-Canada Hwy. Please keep Crazy Larry in your thoughts!

Eyewitness with some comments on highway speed in a national park (!!):
Crazy Larry Banff Accident Send Loving Thoughts

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1261 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:15 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1261 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Update from John Thiessen on FB:

"**UPDATE*
He is being moved to ICU. They were worried about his breathing but it had stabilized. He has a big gash on his head and his eyes are black and swollen shut. He is currently unconscious and intubated. Otherwise his body seems alright aside from a possible elbow fracture... BUT... he is still with us"

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1262 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:36 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »

Okay, I just got off the phone with the fine staff in the Intensive Care Services at Foothills Hospital and they say he's stabilized and holding his own -- ie there are no concerns at the moment. He's currently sedated and asleep (on a ventilator) but they wake him up every once in awhile to check his vital signs. When I asked about any broken bones, the answer was "broken ribs", no broken legs or arms. They'll assess him again in the morning and he may be transferred to the Trauma Unit in the next day or three depending on his condition improving.

Larry is a tough 'un!! But it wouldn't hurt to add a prayer for him over the next few days.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1263 on: July 26, 2014, 06:09:42 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1263 on: July 26, 2014, 06:09:42 AM »

Okay, I just got off the phone with the fine staff in the Intensive Care Services at Foothills Hospital and they say he's stabilized and holding his own -- ie there are no concerns at the moment. He's currently sedated and asleep (on a ventilator) but they wake him up every once in awhile to check his vital signs. When I asked about any broken bones, the answer was "broken ribs", no broken legs or arms. They'll assess him again in the morning and he may be transferred to the Trauma Unit in the next day or three depending on his condition improving.

Larry is a tough 'un!! But it wouldn't hurt to add a prayer for him over the next few days.

Thanks for the update!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1264 on: July 26, 2014, 07:51:18 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1264 on: July 26, 2014, 07:51:18 AM »

Jason Snell here. Just wondering what happened to the starter list. it seems to have disappeared. I would love to be able to contact some of you Tour Dividers I might have ridden with. What happened to Shane?? It would have been cool to hang out with you longer. What happened to Ryan Lee? I didn't see you during the race you were too fast. And big congrats to Calvin whom I met in O hare airport and rode on the shuttle to Banff with. Great job!! One other thing I lost a Primal Quest Buff somewhere after Holland Lake lodge. If anybody found it, I would love to have it back sentimental value and all. I think Jeff from New Zealand but now from North or South Carolina was behind us. Maybe you found it I don't know. Please let me know if you did.

Thanks

Hi All,

I've pasted in a backup that I took a few weeks ago to:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnV6xT65HkPRdE5WZ2c4S0pyZnd5Tk51cko1ZzJneFE&usp=sharing#gid=28

If anyone has time and can tidy it up I'd be grateful.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1265 on: July 26, 2014, 02:10:05 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 26, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »

Get well soon Larry. I enjoyed meeting you in Banff.

* tour divide 2014 051.JPG (140.06 KB, 640x480 - viewed 629 times.)

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1266 on: July 26, 2014, 03:12:24 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1266 on: July 26, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »

Update:
"A friend just saw CrazyLarry and said he is in great spirits considering what has happened. He has a 4" gash on his head, a small skull fracture and a collapsed lung. He we be at the Foothills hospital for at least three more days and after that the road to recovery really begins."

http://www.gofundme.com/c4ozdc

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1267 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:13 PM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1267 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »

Larry!!!  Heal up speedily!
Thanks for getting the photo up JP.  Good that Larry is off the ventilator and maintaining some of his "craziness".

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1268 on: July 27, 2014, 07:15:27 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1268 on: July 27, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »

Another update Lisa Rosvold via GoFundMe:
"I had a chance to visit CrazyLarry today. He is doing pretty good, was being discharged from the ICU to the trauma floor and he was thankful for that. When I told CrazyLarry about all the love coming his way he couldn't believe it, with a tear in his eye he said you have no idea how much this is going to help me. He asked me to THANK ALL OF YOU for your donations and kind words. He asked me to print out all the comments from this page and get it to him, there was no wi-fi at the hospital so I couldn't read them all to him, but each note made him smile bigger, so I wished I could have. He can't wait to tie each one if you the craziest best balloon animal EVER!!"

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1269 on: July 28, 2014, 01:34:42 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1269 on: July 28, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »

Rob Murray with Mountain FM posted some audio up on the station’s site:

I was pleasantly surprised to get Crazy Larry on the line almost immediately when I called the Foothills Hospital this morning. It’s obvious from his voice that he’s been through some pretty major trauma – his usual over-the-top exuberance was much more subdued. Nevertheless, he was candid about the accident, emotional when talking about the amount of money people have donated to his recovery and what he plans to do with some of it, and genuine when professing his profound thanks to the community he calls his extended family.

So good to hear him speak and know he’s going to be okay! There had been speculation that he was hit but it sounds like that he just lost control pulling a Bob trailer.

Check it out! http://www.mountainfm.ca/2014/07/28/crazy-larry-speaks/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1270 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:13 PM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »

That post is two weeks old.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1271 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:12 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »

Rob Murray with Mountain FM posted some audio up on the station’s site:

I was pleasantly surprised to get Crazy Larry on the line almost immediately when I called the Foothills Hospital this morning. It’s obvious from his voice that he’s been through some pretty major trauma – his usual over-the-top exuberance was much more subdued. Nevertheless, he was candid about the accident, emotional when talking about the amount of money people have donated to his recovery and what he plans to do with some of it, and genuine when professing his profound thanks to the community he calls his extended family.

So good to hear him speak and know he’s going to be okay! There had been speculation that he was hit but it sounds like that he just lost control pulling a Bob trailer.

Check it out! http://www.mountainfm.ca/2014/07/28/crazy-larry-speaks/

Local news feature here with some more details: http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1109876/bow-valley-rallies-behind-banffs-crazy-larry-seriously-injured-in-bicycle-crash/

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1272 on: July 28, 2014, 10:42:28 PM
Walkurtalk

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 28, 2014, 10:42:28 PM »

Needed to disappear for a while to reset, refocus, reflect and rebuild (not the hub, the whole wheel is done and destined to be hung on my wall. I would say its earned its retirement: Two AZT 750's, a CTR, two CTR attempts, an AZT 300 attempt, 2500 miles on the TD and more XC races and training miles than I can count) after a very disappointing end to my TD run.....I would not trade one second or one moment out there even if I had known how it would all end when I was pedaling away from Antelope Wells. Physically easier than both the AZT 750 and the CTR in my opinion, the TD is the greatest mental challenge of the three. The length alone is huge. Energy and attitude levels peak and plunge daily, sometimes hourly when you are tired. The highs are some of the most amazing feelings I believe humans are capable of experiencing and the lows are tricky mind puzzles that one must learn to master as the race goes on. The people I met along this journey, I will never forget. And the questions, oh the questions were priceless.

The most common recurring ones:

Did you see a grizzly? No (dammit)
Do you have a gun? No
Do you carry bear spray/mace? No
Are you scared to be alone/of bears/of wackos/of the dark/of crashing? No
Where is the rest of your gear? Uhhhh, you are looking at it.
Do you ever push your bike? Sometimes.
What do you do out there all day while you are on your bike? (This one left me speechless as I decided to shelve my humorous but sarcastic answer)

Dabbling into the blog just a bit for now and taking a very different approach this time:

http://allthingsepicwithjill.blogspot.com/2014/07/delving-into-tour-divide.html

Oh, and am I doing the CTR? Yes.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1273 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:03 PM
dascheel

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »

I didn't get to follow the later finishers because I started my own trip on GDMBR.  I just want to congratulate all of the finishers and everyone with courage to even start the Tour Divide.  We are in whitefish now after 10 days on the route. We are on a totally different pace than you awesome racers. Our plan is 100days or so to Antelope Wells.

Angler -- if you are still following this thread I will be in Ovando on Monday 8/4 and planning on spending the night.  Be happy to buy you a beer or 3 for all you do for the racers and for us blue dot watchers.

If anyone is interested, here is the link to my Journal
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Geezerride2014

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1274 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:39 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »

Get well soon Larry. I enjoyed meeting you in Banff.

Mark, I dropped the Geronimo Pain Cream that you dragged up to Banff for me onto Crazy Larry today during a visit at Foothills Hospital. I figured he needed it far more than I do at the moment. Larry is doing relatively okay except he had a spell of major chest pain this morning and was having trouble getting his breath. The pain was so intense -- and the panic for some air so bad -- that he admitted to crying a spell afterwards. (Now that doesn't sound like the Crazy Larry we all know, does it?) Apparently, one of the broken ribs punctured his lung which is why it collapsed. He's also got a facial fracture and lightning bolt headaches suddenly hit without warning. So he's recovering, but very slowly. His right arm is also buggered and he has a tough time moving it. Regardless, Foothills is trying to shunt him out the door so if anyone in Banff can lend him a hand on his arrival, it would be beyond wonderful. Larry is hoping to get transferred to a Banff medical facility for rehab and recovery but that isn't firm yet -- and may not happen. The Crazy Larry Fund will definitely be needed upon his return to Banff: http://www.gofundme.com/c4ozdc .

http://apacheherbs.1freecart.com/i/224964/geronimo-pain-cream.htm
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:18:36 PM by ABfolder » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1275 on: July 30, 2014, 03:20:39 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: July 30, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »

Mark, I dropped the Geronimo Pain Cream that you dragged up to Banff for me onto Crazy Larry today during a visit at Foothills Hospital. I figured he needed it far more than I do at the moment! Larry is doing relatively okay except he had a spell of major chest pain this morning and was having trouble getting his breathe. Apparently, one of the broken ribs punctured his lung which is why it collapsed. He's also got a facial fracture and lightning bolt headaches suddenly hit without warning. So he's recovering, but very slowly. His right arm is also buggered and he has a tough time moving it. Regardless, Foothills is trying to shunt him out the door so if anyone in Banff can lend him a hand on his arrival, it would be beyond wonderful. Larry is hoping to get transferred to a Banff medical facility for rehab and recovery but that isn't firm yet -- and may not happen. The Crazy Larry Fund will definitely be needed upon his return to Banff: http://www.gofundme.com/c4ozdc .

http://apacheherbs.1freecart.com/i/224964/geronimo-pain-cream.htm

Is there a PayPal account set up for donations as well? GoFundMe will only take credit cards.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1276 on: July 30, 2014, 03:24:11 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 30, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »

Bob, I'd contact Lisa Rosvold directly through the Fund and ask her if you can make a donation that way.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1277 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:54 PM
vmjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1277 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »

Update:
"A friend just saw CrazyLarry and said he is in great spirits considering what has happened. He has a 4" gash on his head, a small skull fracture and a collapsed lung. He we be at the Foothills hospital for at least three more days and after that the road to recovery really begins."

http://www.gofundme.com/c4ozdc

Lets all return some love to Crazy Larry so we'll all see him back at the Tour Divide 2015 start line to give us a big GO!  Please donate to help Larry recover.  Jim   

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1278 on: July 30, 2014, 10:40:37 PM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 30, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »

Anyone get any word on where to post for the Cordillera for 2014?

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1279 on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:54 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1279 on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:54 AM »

Anyone get any word on where to post for the Cordillera for 2014?

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=10540.msg65978#msg65978

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/
  Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: