Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Making 3/4 rain pants out of existing rain pants on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:30 PM
wbcmaelstrom

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

I have full length nice Endura rain pants that are more for commuting to keep 100% dry. For summer bikepacking trips, I'd really like some 3/4 rain pants that many seem to carry just to keep my shorts dry and to save some space.

I have some old rain pants that I no longer use that I'd like to just cut the bottom legs off. However, if I do this, will I need to do something to keep them from thready fraying (I'm not sure the word to explain this). Could I use something like a clothing iron to 'melt' the material at the ends?

I've seen guys pack lists with lots of homemade 3/4 length rain pants, but never seen any specific pictures or explanation.

Topic Name: Making 3/4 rain pants out of existing rain pants Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:27 PM
bumbler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »

Yes, the material will likely fray if you simply cut it and leave it unfinished. Personally, I wouldn't try ironing/melting it - too easy to ruin it.

If you can't/don't want to hem it yourself, I'd recommend finding a local seamstress/alterations shop who can alter it for you. Hemming pants is a pretty quick & easy job; shouldn't cost much.

Topic Name: Making 3/4 rain pants out of existing rain pants Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:57:55 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »

Get them hemmed. Shouldn't cost any more than $10 and well worth it. Just make sure you mark exactly where you want them cut/finished and communicate to the person doing the job. Nothing worse than bringing something in and not getting what you were expecting.

I modded some rain pants to make them 3/4 length, added some thin shock cord and a couple of tiny eyelets with micro toggles so I could seal em up just under the knee. Perfect bikepacking rainpant set up for me.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Making 3/4 rain pants out of existing rain pants Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:39:05 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »

Double hem it yourself, not that hard. Use a needle and dental floss. Cut it about an inch beyond where you want it to ultimately fall. Turn the pants inside out. Fold about a half to a quarter inch straight upwards, sew. Fold it over again, sew again. One row of running stitches, two if you want it hyper strong. From there let it be. This is how I made my riding shorts-- cut to capris so no sunburn above the knees. The material covers my knee when my leg is fully retracted at the top of the pedal stroke.

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: