Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:08 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »

So I finally had some time to work on bags for myself again, and replace my perfectly functional, but not very pretty framebag.  Working on bags for myself usually means some R&D time too, and this was no exception.  I decided to try something new and go two-tone on this one, and add a pocket with a window for business cards.

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out, and it wasn't too difficult, really.  It took a little longer than a regular framebag, and sewing the clear vinyl is always a bit tricky (you can't sew the same spot on it more than once or the vinyl will rip, so you really can't make many mistakes with it).  But all in all, not too bad.  I did the two-tone thing by cutting the pieces a little larger than they needed to be, sewing them together with a flat felled seam, and then cutting my framebag shape out of the combined piece.

I did a couple of other new things - one was making the straps for the seatpost come out of the center of the bag rather than the seams.  I think it looks better, because the seatpost is such a small diameter.  The other is that there's a daisy chain on the bottom to hook things onto the framebag, and I'm making a small toolbag to fit under the downtube and attach there.  I've been trying to figure out how to make a bag that wouldn't slide down into the chainrings, and the daisy chain is the solution.

* IMGP4811.JPG-800.jpg (173.42 KB, 800x600 - viewed 705 times.)

* IMGP4808.JPG-800.jpg (172.62 KB, 800x600 - viewed 703 times.)

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:23 PM
ImAFred

Big B

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »

Nice... I like the daisy chain idea.. easy to secure a extra bottle cage as well.

I dig dirt!

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:43:52 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »

As promised, here are pictures of the downtube bag.  I didn't want to post until I'd ridden it on singletrack.  I was a little concerned about it shifting during rough riding, but that wasn't a problem at all.  I did an overnighter this week with about 30 miles of singletrack and I never once noticed it shift or rub on anything.  The compression strap is key.  The bottom is reinforced in case I ever hit it with the front wheel, but I don't think that will happen.

My next one will be slightly thinner (I was a bit limited in thickness by my zipper placement, but i could go at least half an inch thinner).  This one was 4 inches.  I also won't round it near the top I don't think.  And I have a sample of Rhinotek fabric coming in the mail; when i get a chance I'll put that on the velcro straps for added friction.

The interior pockets I made are ok; they could've been pleated more for extra volume.  It's hard to fit stuff in them. But I have some rarely-accessed items in there like a derailleur hanger, chain breaker, etc.  One thing I did that I'm pretty happy with is put velcro on the top to hold wrenches.  Seems to work ok.  But hopefully I'll just update my wheelset soon and won't need to take a 15mm plus cone wrenches with me anymore.

All said, super happy with the design.  It's a great location to store tools.  Packed full, this thing is heavy.

The first picture is it compressed with tools and a single tube inside.  The end of the compression strap is on a loop lock, so it can be dragged over to the other side so it doesn't catch on something.  The tension holds it in place.  The last picture is it fully packed with fully packed with no compression strap.

* IMGP4877.JPG-1000.jpg (209.36 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 611 times.)

* IMGP4875.JPG-1000.jpg (283.42 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 620 times.)

* 0515141653a.jpg-1000.jpg (319.96 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 620 times.)

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »

I like it, any idea on what price will be for one of these?

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:50:57 AM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »

Not sure just yet - I'm currently finishing up my orders so I can take a break for the summer, during which I plan to do a lot of riding and some R&D.  So I'll be selling again in late August with an updated product line.  But it would depend on whether it had interior dividers or not.  I can send you a PM when I have a better idea.

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:30:29 PM
juanesunpescado

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »

curious if there is any benefit of the two tone. Absent any benefit, it would appear to be a bad idea as it introduces needle holes through which water may penetrate and another seam to fail.

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:41:36 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »

The benefit is that it looks cool, and nothing else.  In the past I haven't really cared about how my gear looks, but now that I sell it I want a flashy, conversation-starting kit.  So two-tone it was.

As for the seam failing, I would be amazed if that ever happened.  It's a flat-felled seam in Xpac sewn with bonded nylon thread, so it should last the life of the bag.  As for water ingress . . . I agree it's an issue.  But I don't think it's any worse than what you get from having a zipper on there and velcro attachments anyway.  Framebags are a very hard thing to make fully waterproof, even using Xpac, with or without the extra seam.  My philosophy is that framebags and seatbags should be water-resistant, and panniers and handlebar rolls should attempt full waterproofness.

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:02:12 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »

I saw a half frame bag from bedrock bags that looked like the CO flag. I've never really thought about how my bags looked but I instantly wanted one.

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:07:01 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »

Racingguy04:  That sounds *rad*.  I want to find someone who wants a stripe through their framebag...  It could pass through the framebag *and* the downtube bag, and maybe a seatbag too.  I think that would be really cool.  The math would get complicated doing it on the seatbag, but in a fun sort of way.

Topic Name: Two-tone Framebag Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 06:15:53 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 06:15:53 AM »

Yeah it was really sweet looking. Here's a link to a pic of it. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=723642111026134&substory_index=0&id=516115401778807
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: