Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: DIY Shires tarp tent on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:39 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:39 AM »

I spent some of this weekend making this 1-person tarp tent, instructions here:
https://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html
I thought I'd give my perspective on the project as a novice sewer:
  • Compared to a frame bag or something with a complex shape, a tent is much easier to sew. There is much more sewing to be done than a frame bag, but everything is easier to see and access. The silnylon is also much easier to sew than heavier things like xpac or cordura.
  • The instructions on the website are very good and there were not really any confusing parts.
  • One mistake I made was sewing a little too much. When I folded the edges over on the raw pieces at the very start of the project, I sewed two lines because that's what I've done for my other projects. But on this tent, you reinforce each edge when you sew the netting on, so the extra line at the start was just wasteful.
  • I also chose to sew on a small patch on the exposed side of the pullouts to protect the stitching from the elements. Unnecessary? Probably. But it made my OCD feel better
  • Current weight (before seam-sealing) is 15.2 oz.
  • I plan to add a removable floor and a beak and will update this with the new weight
  • Overall, I'm very impressed with how simple this was to put together (although it took a long time). It is very easy to pitch and you can adjust how you pitch it pretty easily
  • Cost of materials was around $70

Topic Name: DIY Shires tarp tent Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:11 AM
Gabriel Amadeus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »

Nice! I've been scheming about sewing my own flip top tent camper shell.

Topic Name: DIY Shires tarp tent Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:20:23 PM
bekologist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »

looks great! i've done similar by stitching some no-see-um netting to an old golite tarp i had laying around. i calculated about two feet of vertical sidewall and included an 18" mesh skirt to take up terrain irregularities and to tuck under a groundcloth.

* homeadetarptent.jpg (216.29 KB, 700x525 - viewed 1822 times.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:52:52 PM by bekologist » Logged

Take the other way.

Topic Name: DIY Shires tarp tent Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:24:26 AM
Wildmtnchild

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »

I'm so on this. I just ordered the Golite poncho tarp, which I plan to use on the CT this summer. I've got some bug netting and will make a removable insert complete with zipper. I mostly plan on pitching the poncho a-line style. I'll post a pic when I get it done. Looks great!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: