Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Handlebar Harness and partial framebag on: April 24, 2014, 12:37:14 AM
Tanglefist

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:37:14 AM »

I figured I'd share a couple of MYOG projects here.  I made a handlebar harness, or 'barness' as I like to call it.

I salvaged the majority of the material from a suitcase. The main body is a piece of relatively flexible plastic. I reckon the degree of flexibility is an important consideration - too flexible and it won't provide support - the bag will flop around the place. However, if it's too stiff it won't conform to the load well when it's cinched tight. Additionally, it could fatigue and break.

The harness is kept held away from the bars, preventing rubbing against the brakes by removable spacers.  Rubber from inner tubes is sewn onto the surface which makes contact with the bar itself, increasing the grip.

The whole thing is braced from beneath using a modified 'Crud Fast Fender'.  A strap with velcro attaches the Barness to the fender.  I'm still concerned this might fatigue and snap over time, but we'll see.

I also made a framebag, from a different suitcase.  I prefer a partial framebag, allowing easy hauling of the bike, and retaining the water bottle in their normal positions.

Tools in place.

I'm still jiggling things around.  I haven't tested the waterproofness, fingers are crossed.

Slightly more information is available here; http://cyclocaust.blogspot.co.nz

Topic Name: Handlebar Harness and partial framebag Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:47 PM
Hadfield

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »

Nice job. I like how you recycled material. Good use of resources and keeping items out of the landfill. Well done. Hadfield

Topic Name: Handlebar Harness and partial framebag Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:21 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »

I like the clamshell design of the frame bag, and the organization straps!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: