Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Fabric supply? on: April 22, 2014, 08:05:10 AM
adsfhlka

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:05:10 AM »

Hi,

I'm getting started on a new bikepacking kit.
I made an older one from 1000d cordura, but it was a learning process.

I'm planning on using white xpac tx07 for the panels and dyneema gridstop for the places that it rubs against the bike.
What do you think of these fabrics? Should I use a different model of xpac? Is there a better fabric to use to rub against the bike?
I want to make something completely waterproof, but I think gridstop is just water-resistant, and the coating is likely to wear off as it rubs against my bike. Could i just use a stronger xpac for the places that it rubs, like vx21? I'd like to hear your advice.

Where do you buy your fabrics? I'd like to order it all from 1 place to save on shipping, but haven't been able to find a good website. I'm located in the US.

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:23 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »

http://www.rockywoods.com/

or Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics:

http://www.owfinc.com/

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:38 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »

For your durability questions, there is a thread I started just below this one that addresses some of those things.

For fabric supply,

http://rockywoods.com/ has a difficult-to-use website but good selection. Also, if you live in CO, shipping is super fast

http://diygearsupply.com/ has an awesomely easy website

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:57 AM
12wheels

Bolder Bikepacking Gear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »

The light Dimension Polyant fabrics like TX07 are for OK for people who baby their gear or racers who want light weight but are too fragile for general use.  If you ride a lot and want your gear to last use vx21 or heavier vx fabric for the main panals and cover the sections which contact the frame with 1000 denier cordura or ballistic nylon.  

http://questoutfitters.com/ is another good source for fabric and hardware.

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:28 AM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »

So I've put a wee bit of money towards all the places mentioned so far in this thread in the last couple of months.  Here's my quick review:

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics is my go-to, with the best prices for just about everything.  They are a really friendly mom-and-pop business.  But they don't have Xpac.  If they had itI might not order from anyone else again.

Rockywoods has Xpac and pretty much everything, decent prices and pretty fast shipping (although I'm only two states over).  If you want everything for a framebag from a single outfitter, they are the only game in town that I'm aware of.

Quest is super friendly and another mom-and-pop outfitter.  I tend to use them more for lightweight backpacking gear, as opposed to bikepacking gear - you won't find big zippers on here, for instance.  But they do have Xpac as well now.  And they have Jr. Ballistic Nylon, which I like to use where bags contact the bike frame.  And if the shipping costs less than what they charged you, they'll refund you the difference - not a lot of places will do that.

DIY Gear Supply is a great place for thread.  They have Gutermann Mara, which is a great all-purpose thread, and Gutermann Tera, which is a really strong black thread, good for bikepacking gear.  All of their threads beat the pants out of anything you'll find at Joann's, they cost 3-4 bucks for a large spool, and the shipping is cheap.

And I would also advise VX21 instead of VX07.  The difference in weight is negligible, but the difference in durability isn't.  VX07 weighs 4.8oz per square yard, VX21 weighs 6.0oz.  Most framebags use between half and two thirds of a square yard.  Either way, definitely less than one ounce difference.  Maybe 10-15 grams heavier for VX21.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:48 PM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

Rockywoods is the official retail outlet for Xpac Stateside and even I order from them, shipping to Switzerland. I wanted to mention the 07 vs. 21 thing and that Dyneema, while strong is pretty floppy, hard to cut (dulls scissors in an instant) but is good for things where you don't need structure.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:42:25 PM
ROADHOG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:42:25 PM »

Seattle Fabrics online.

Thrift stores.

The area of the bags is so small, savings in fabric weight are minimal. Reliability would seem more important than ultra light. There is strong disagreement on that.

Take weight/area for your bag in a Seattle Fabs vinyl - for waterproofness - vs weight area for a light water resistant nylon. The vinyl glued with vinyl glue is indestructible.
But too heavy.

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:52 PM
ROADHOG

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »

BTW, Seattle Fabrics sells quality hand needles and quality threads in spools. Call n ask for advice on the thread.

Topic Name: Fabric supply? Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 07:51:26 AM
jaymtb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »

Hi,
Have had good service from Rocky Woods in CO. 

Also, would recommend using Mil-Spec  velcro.  I have had other stuff  break down from use.   

Jay
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: