Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: $1 Grosgrain Ribbon Guide on: April 09, 2014, 06:05:55 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »

So first I should say that this isn't my original idea, I first heard about it here, and they have a few more pictures and instructions.  But I wanted to share it with this forum now that I've tried it.

This is a guide to feed grosgrain ribbon into a machine, folded in half, to use to finish edges.  No more uneven finishing, and it goes *way* faster.  I finished four pannier seams and made back all the time I spent making this (about 10 minutes).

The plastic is from a box of spinach ($1 because it was a manager's special), and the tape I already had, so I'm not counting it in the cost.  The original thread on hammock forums mentions a specific brand of double-sided tape, but I used what came with my Frost King window film package - I bought it to use the film as a ground cover, so I had an entire roll of the tape left over.  It worked just fine and came off with very little residue.

I use 3/4" grosgrain, and I started out with a 2" wide piece of plastic, but that was far too big - I kept re-creasing it and cutting it down.  The final dimensions came out 7/8" wide, with the two folded-over sections 1/4" wide.  So I ended up using a 1 3/8" piece of plastic total.

I'm making enough gear now that I'll probably still buy the professional version, made of metal.  But I thought this would be a cool thing to try out, and it works great!

* 0409141741a.jpg (147.45 KB, 800x600 - viewed 482 times.)

* 0409141743a.jpg (136.34 KB, 800x600 - viewed 474 times.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:09:28 PM by Smo » Logged

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: