Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:37 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »

I keep hearing how there is much more abrasion in a frame bag than you would think.Would it be worthwhile to use a heavier fabric on the surfaces that will see the most contact with the frame? (The surfaces with the yellow lines in the picture).
Currently I was thinking about using xpac (VX-21) for most of the bag and something heavier like 1000 Denier Cordura for the high-wear areas.
  • Is this needlessly complicated?
  • Is VX-07 better suited for this use or should I stick with VX-21?

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:57:38 AM
paulmissoula

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »

I think many folks making bags are using ballistics or a heavier cordura nylon for the panels in touch with tubes. On the bags I make, I use VX21 on the main panels and 1000D Cordura for the panels that are in contact with the tubing. It's worked well for me.

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:20 AM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

I use VX21 for my framebags, with Jr Ballistic reinforcements along the downtube and seat tube (Jr Ballistic is 840 denier).  On those panels, in between the Xpac and Ballistic, I slip in a piece of 1/8" foam before I do the last seam.

This is the foam I use:
http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=92&categoryId=3

I get my ballistics from Quest:
http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#BALLISTICS

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:11:44 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »

I haven't put tons of miles on my frame bags, but I've just used vx-21, It might wear out someday, but I don't get out enough to make that happen or justify the extra expense/complication of using cordura for the frame parts.

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:16:40 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »

In my experience...

For a partial frame pack that has a bottom section not in contact with a down tube you can get away with using a lighter material, top tube sections the same. I only use heavier/reinforced or padded sections where the pack sits against the frame on seat and down tubes only.

Where padded sections, reinforcement and heavier more abrasion resistant materials are particularly useful are for full frame packs with the bottom and back sections that sit against the down tube and seat tube. This is where you'll get the highest abrasion as your gear, more than likely heavier stuff, works its way down and settles from road/trail vibration, it begins rubbing, knocking, and you risk wearing through your frame bag or worse your frame.

My last full frame bag used a heavy VX as the outer, was padded with ccf and used VX07 for the inside. A 2000km dirt road ride through Chile the frame bag was fine although there are a few spots on my down tube and seat tube wore through the paint and to the steel. A carbon frame for that particular trip would've likely been junked.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:27:00 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies. My order from rockywoods should be here today and I'll give this a go this weekend.

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:05 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:05 AM »

I am going to experiment with 1.5" webbing on certain wear spots on mine; namely where the old bolts for the bottle cages were, and where my frame pump connecting gizmo is.

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Frame bag reinforcement and questions Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:10:23 AM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »

I'm with Paul... my bags are generally X21 like him and 1000D Cordura on the tube side. One other thing I do is to add some vinyl reinforced poly fabric at the bottle mount and cable stop locations. It works well for me thus far and no one has ever come back claiming their bags have worn through.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: