Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: MYOG hub generator USB charge system on: March 29, 2014, 03:16:10 PM
ais99

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

There's starting to be lots of good info out there, but I opted for a balance of MYOG/Off the shelf.  I think I'm ~$10-$15 into this project, so WAY cheaper than any of the off-the-shelf USB charge systems referenced here.  I'll keep this short on details because there are a few good articles you can read elsewhere on the theories involved.  Plus my EE skills are quite limited.

I bought a $3 regulator module from ebay.  The only required items remaining were 1x bridge rectifier, 1x capacitor.  I thought it would be nice to leave all my connections alone to limit wear and tear (connections are always where your failures begin!) so invested in a small switch, where I can toggle back and forth between

• AC headlight/taillight
  • OFF
  • Regulated USB

Skip this if you want a simpler system.  Just means you'll have to switch your wires when you go between illumination and charge modes.

I went quick and dirty and after shielding the leads, just jammed the Bridge Rectifier and Capacitor into the input leads of the prefab China Buck regulator module.  Seems to work from prelim testing.  Voltmeter says i get 5.08V = Perfect.   I intend to get a few images that give a sense of output current after some more testing.

The case turned out a bit hasty/janky.  I may redo it soon, but from discussion on the web it seems the actual USB port is likely to be one of your main failure points in waterproofing.  I would argue that no matter how tight your case/wiring is, USB charge device just plain isn't waterproof, so keep it in your Hbar bag and call it a day.   

Topic Name: MYOG hub generator USB charge system Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:46:26 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »

Damn good mod. Here is something on housing that may be of use to you:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829603

Various store-bought and DIY housing options. I esp. like the pill-bottle style with a screw cap, seems very secure. Maybe you could lodge the internals inside one of those for protection.

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: MYOG hub generator USB charge system Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:57 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »

Have you thought about sealing the whole thing in hot glue or some kind of dielectric silicone in order to deal with moisture ingress in general, even if it isn't direct rain

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: MYOG hub generator USB charge system Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:33:24 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »

What light are you running with this system?

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: