Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:43:09 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »

Thanks for the replys.  Sorry for they long delay.   This has been a very busy fall for me.  

The day before starting I was told they would be 3 others doing the route, but that they were starting in Green River.   It was exciting to know others were out there in front of me, and was looking forward to following their tracks.   About an hour from Green River I meet the 3 people, but they were going backwards on the route (not suggested) since they needed to make it to Moab for repairs.  I have not heard from them since?

Here is a short recap of my ride.  

Day 1

Had a great ride to Hanksville the first day , although it was hot, with temps around 93 degrees.   Left Moab at 6:15 am.  Arrived in Green River around 1:00?.  Filled up water at the grocery store and got back on the road.  Stopped  a few hours latter at the San Rafael for a dip in the creek, and to hide in the shade for a bit under the bridge.  Arrived in Hanksville around 10:00.  Had a bad crash on the fast dirt downhill towards town in the dark, but didn't really injure myself.  I Slept a few miles outside of Hanksville.

Day2.  

Had a little rain in the night.  Started riding around 5:00 am.   Was hit by a rainstorm around 7,000 feet. I was stopped by mud before the campground.  I think this was the worst mud situation I've ever had.   I would clean off my tires, only to make it half a revaluation before it would stop from being clogged with mud again.   I may have made it about an 1/8 of a mile before I realized this would not work.   Could not push my bike, and could not carry it since I would just slide back down the hill.    I decided to just set up my tarp and sleep for a few hours.  

The rain woke me up.  It rained much harder and longer then it had before.  It seemed I might be stuck here for a day or more, or turn around?    I fell back asleep and awoke to a vehicle coming to a stop up the road from me.   They were having problems with the mud also and where unloading there ATVs off the trailer.   I had a short conversation with them and they informed me that the road was passable a mile or so up by the campground where it became more rocky.  So I cleaned my bike as best as possible and started pushing it though the trees on the side of the road.   I made it to the campground without to many issues and was able to wash off my bicycle under the faucet.    Summited Mt. Ellen  around 5:30 or so.   Great timing for some killer views.    Flew down the mountain post summit, and I was at the highway before dark.   Poison Springs Road was navigated in the dark. Which made finding Wall Spring tricky , but I did find it , right after I gave up hope.   Crossed over the Dirty Devil  around Midnight.   I was happy to have a shallow crossing, since I made it before it water rose in the early morning.   Camped for the night just above the Dirty.

Day 3.  
 Started riding around 4:45.   The road in bad shape for driving from all the recent rain.  Big washouts in places.  But the firm sand made it the best conditions for riding that I've had.  Its still a long hard climb though.  Made it over Sunset Pass around 12:00.  From here its a pretty fast ride to Hite, and I arrived there around 3:30.   Had some drinks and took a short nap in the shade.   Bought some Cashews , but otherwise had all the food I needed.  Left around 5:30 when it felt slightly cooler and began the long climb to Elk Ridge.   I really felt that I needed to make some miles and starting really hitting the caffeine and thinking of riding late into the night.   Around Midnight  I convinced myself that some sleep would do me good and laid down for two hours.   Got back on the bike started to try and make some mile.   Rode for a couple of hours and felt I needed to sleep for a few more hours.  

Day 4
Back on the bike, when its just getting light.  I was really was not feeling good.   Just no go power.  Caffeine just was not doing much anymore.   I started to to the math, and realized there was no way I was going to be able to finish the route in time to make it back to work.     I decided to bail off the route at the first good place I had cell phone reception and could drop down to a road easily.   Called for a ride from the Bears Ear's and dropped down to the Highway.

In summary,  I am of coarse bummed that I didn't finish the would loop.   But I did have a great time out there,  and was glad to get to push my limits for a few days.  I was amazed at how few people and vehicles I saw out there. Other then the towns I think I ran across 4 people the whole time.

I'm sure I will try it again someday.   Next time I will not carry all of my food for 4-5 days, and will give myself 6 days to complete it.  But still hope for 5.  

Photos.  

Day 1
https://plus.google.com/photos/106493272336166205789/albums/6070560678479827313?authkey=CJWWlfHA__fs0gE

Day 2
https://plus.google.com/photos/106493272336166205789/albums/6070565907854076881?authkey=CNqPr9mc1eesiQE

Day 3
https://plus.google.com/photos/106493272336166205789/albums/6070628289469594161?authkey=CO2G9oWrh-qZew
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:42:26 AM by DeanHill » Logged

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 10:57:12 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »

Thanks for that recap, Dean. Nice push out there! It sounds like the rain/mud really provided an unneeded challenge. Oof. At least you got up onto Elk Ridge. On a tour across Utah last summer, I rode Hite => Elk Ridge => Abajo Peak => Robertson Pasture  => Indian Creek  => Lockhart Basin  => Moab, and it was one of my favorite sections of the entire route. That's some amazing country. Thanks for piecing together this loop!

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:09 AM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »

Thanks for posting. What a great loop. Awesome photos. That mud!!

Your day 3 pic link goes to day 2 photos.

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 09:43:10 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »

Thanks!  Day 3 link is fixed.   Thanks for the heads up. 

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 10:06:15 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »

Cool route Randy.

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 05:15:01 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 05:15:01 AM »

On a tour across Utah last summer, I rode Hite => Elk Ridge => Abajo Peak => Robertson Pasture  => Indian Creek  => Lockhart Basin  => Moab, and it was one of my favorite sections of the entire route. That's some amazing country. Thanks for piecing together this loop!

Yeah Krefs,   I actually used your GPS file from that ride for the section from Hite to Roberstsons Pasture.   It saved me some track work , so thanks for that.  Fred was kind enough to get it to me.   I actually meet you on that ride.  I was the guy at Poison Spider who helped you with a tire.  What a great ride.  

MikeC,  Thanks man.  I think next time I might take my packraft and cut some miles.  Strong work in the Grand Canyon.  Your killing it in the videos.  

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 07:37:26 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »

Hey that reminds me, Kurt, I'd still love a copy of that GPX...

Nice ambition Randy.  Love it when something turns out to be a bit too much to chew.  Next time.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 05:51:29 AM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »

Some fantastic photos, Dean! Great push. Very inspiring.

Cheers, Michael

michaelackerman.org

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 09:12:16 AM
ayayron

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »

Any word on a date yet this year? Route looks fantastic, would love to do it.

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 12:53:17 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »

I can't seem to find a gps track for this route.

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 12:18:48 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »

I can't seem to find a gps track for this route.

First page attached to Reply #13.

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 12:05:37 PM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 12:05:37 PM »

Not sure if Dean is still watching this thread. Planning a spring run on the route. Cannot find Wall Spring in Poison spring Cyn. on any map or online resource. Does anyone know where it is located?? Thanks, bd

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 08:14:32 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »

This file show a waypoint for Wall Springs.  Are you planning on doing the whole loop?  It would be to snowy on the high elevations spots, but you could work around those.   

* waypointsdump9-29.gpx (4.13 KB - downloaded 219 times.)

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 06:53:04 PM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 06:53:04 PM »

Thanks Dean. That is about where I thought Wall was based on a fix I found on a backpacker blog the other night. The plan as of now is to ride Hanksville to Moab in late May into early June. Hot down low. Likely some snow up high. But it is when I/we can fit it in. My plan is to finish via Lockhart Basin to the River to Moab. Seems the section from La Sal to Moab by your route through the La Sals is likely to be quite snowed in at that time- you think? Not sure how much snow to expect in the Henry's and Abajo's in early June. Guess I will just see what the snowpack does this winter and sort it out come spring. The Hanksville to Newspaper Rock section of your route looks so stellar. Really hope to pull it off. I will likely hit you with other questions here as the plan evolves if that is ok with you. Best, bd

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 03:35:58 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 03:35:58 AM »

Sounds great.   Its easy to adjust how high you go in the Henrys.  If it was really bad you would have to ride some pavement.  The Abajos are harder to work around.   Elk ridge road does dry out fairly fast, I dont think it goes above 8,000 feet.  Hopefully you could ride that, then drop to beef basin and ride though Needles to Lockhart.  Yeah the pass in the La Sals at 10,200 feet will likely be very snowy still.   If the Abajos are snowed in you could get forced down to Blanding and have to ride Pavement to Monticello. 

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 09:06:07 PM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »

Dean: rode Hite to Moab last week- finished thru Lockhart Basin rather than the La Sal's due to snow. Saw a lot of snow on the north faces in the Abajo's and getting from 11k to Robertson Pasture was... stimulating. In case anyone has wondered, you can actually glissade in cleated riding shoes while carrying a fully loaded bike. The piece of your route we rode- Hite to Indian Creek- was really beautiful and fun. Anyone riding this section would be wise to do their homework re water. Wish I knew how to load photos here, as the one of my brothers holding Platypus bags of cow pond water pretending they were colostomy bags is pretty funny- the water looked like diarrhea. We drank it- no option. Not my route, so I will not divulge any of its' mysteries here; but do your homework... and we rode in the spring. Autumn has to be really dry? We hid a cache along Indian Creek, rode to that, then took the Lockhart Basin route back to Moab. The contrast of steep side-hill snow at 11k one morning and 101 degrees in the Colorado River canyon country the next was something. We really wanted to ride the Henrysville to Hite section as well, but responsibilities and life interceded time-wise. Our reverse shuttle took us that way, and the Henry Mountains and the Dirty Devil River and Sunset Pass area looks stellar- we will be back for that for sure. Thanks for putting the route together. My brothers and I had a blast. Very grateful. And thanks for the route beta you gave me. Wish I could sort out the photo thing on this site- some of them are pretty great. Peace. bd

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 08:08:28 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »

BD,   Thanks for the trip report.  I guess I missed it.  It is amazing how hard it is to find water around Elk ridge. The key for me has been the pump at the Rangers Cabin.  Although I hear they plan to, or have shut it off.  There are some other options off trail also.  Do you have a link to any of you photos?

Topic Name: Moab Mountain Mashup , New ultra route in Moab Utah Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:10 AM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »

The pump was there for us, and thank goodness. We did not know it existed pre-ride, and really needed it. I am not a blog kind of person, so no link to pics. Great country!
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: