Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:25 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »

OK folks, I've got one for you. I have a very bright headlight that does not have an off switch. My style of biking demands that I sleep in often very tight, discoverable locations-- bushes, ruts, security-guard's-flashlight-swinging-over-your-bivvy-tight locations. I needed a headlight because I'm doing over-night rides and things.

This thing can't be turned off. I don't want to pull the plug out of it because I don't want an exposed cable end in the rain all night. Can any of you folks imagine a light-proof cover, lens-cover, something that is completely light-tight so that I can cover it as I roll into location and climb into my bedroll? It needs to be able to blockout the standlight for the 10 or so minutes it would be running. The more quickly it can be activated/the less fiddly it is, the better!

Ideas, people!

Thank you!!

icon_biggrin

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:38:13 PM
Bluechip

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »

OK!!?!?!-- How big is your headlight?  Will it fit in an empty soup can or similar?  Interesting problem!

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:04:28 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »

The front lens, including the housing, is about 2 inches wide, and circular.

I think it's a pretty cool problem too, so I figured I'd share it with people who love to fiddle with junk. Definitely not your average gear tweak!! I'm stuck on two thoughts, which I don't think are adequate:

First and simplest solution:  a thick fabric bag that I just slip over the top and cinch down.
Problems: Maybe not light-tight at the cinch area, would have to be non-absorbant, may be easily lost or hard to find (I'd have to stuff it somewhere, right?) and might be a bit of a trick to stop and put on in a jam.

Second solution: Maybe I can cut a piece of metal in a circle, attach something magnet (the housing on the light is metal), cover that with fabric so that when you place it over the lens it holds itself on and is light-tight because the fabric acts a buffer. It could maybe be attached to the side of the light or somewhere else on it in the mean time with a magnet and a lanyard back-up. It could possibly be hinged, and I could attach a hinge with JB Weld, and it might actually be decently elegant.
Problems: I have no idea if a magnet would mess with the internals. It could, very well.

Bluechip-- a soup can is not a bad idea. I'll have a look in the grocery store for something close to 2" in diameter-- maybe some kind of baby food or condensed soup or something. I'd still need something to create a light-proof seal so it doesn't glow.

3 cheers for stealth!  headbang I'm so far 1 and 1 for evading security and being woken up by the police!! At least those were times that I was aware of it!!

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:54 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »

what light is it? how is it powered? is this a stand light on a dyno driven light?

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:40:17 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »

Dynolight, stand light needs to be blocked. Secret brand, because to hell with free advertising!!

Edit: OKOK it's an Exposure Revo
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:58:32 AM by roadpacker » Logged

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:40 PM
12wheels

Bolder Bikepacking Gear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »

An extra small neoprene drawstring pouch for a camera lens might block out the light if you slip it over the body and tighten it down. 
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Drawstring-Neoprene-Panasonic-Fastening/dp/B008XTZBKO/ref=pd_sim_p_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=18BW2KCE5EZ65MXARJAC

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:09 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »

So it sounds like there is a cable correct? If so, what about installing an inline switch?

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:11:29 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »

There is indeed a line from the dynamo to the light. I'll do some googling to see if I couldn't solder something up and make it waterproof. I figure there are enough rubberized/waterproof switches out there, the trick would be to ensure that when I split the wire, I make sure that puppy is shrinkwrapped, taped, silicone'd and anything else to make sure there's no water ingress. Good thinking.

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:38 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:38 PM »

if we knew what light it was we'd have a better chance of solving the problem.

with all dyno lights i've used that have a stand light - adding a switch inline won't help - the stand light battery is in the light head... not in the dyno.

so, you could turn the light off 10-15 minutes early, and the stand light battery will eventually power down.
this assumes that you have a switch on your light (as all the lights i've used have had 'senso', on, and off settings.

but, like i said, without knowing the light, its kind of silly to speculate round and round and round about switches and stuff.

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 05:52:25 PM
Vt_Brian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »

Remove the light bulb?

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:48:13 AM
gnpais

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:48:13 AM »

I have the same problem. But i think that you can block the light wuth one of your gloves! I can!
Good luck

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:08 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

Sew up a piece of elastic around the edge of a circle of blackout fabric from your local fabric store?  Carry it in your back pocket or clip it to something handy.  Slip it over the front of the light as needed.  Be careful not to set anything on fire covering a hot light...

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:21 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:21 AM »

I'm talking with my friend who is an electrical engineer. Designing a switch seems like the most versatile solution-- and would help with switching the juice between GPS and the light.

Here are some interesting things I found in doing some R+D:

http://www.bike2power.com/lightcharge-bicycle-hub-usb-charger.html This is like a cheap version of The Plug

Here is a list of chargers somebody compiled from 2011:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3802.5;wap2

In the interest of science, I'll reveal that it's an Exposure Revo. For some reason I was under the impression that popping the cord out would disable the standlight, but I guess not? I'm awaiting a wheelbuild for the dynamo so I can't test it myself!!

Edit: Looks like it'll have to be back to a light cover of some kind...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:59:07 AM by roadpacker » Logged

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 04:12:21 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »

I'd say a hunk of blackout cloth from a theater shop with a drawstring sewn into it.

Topic Name: How can I cover my front light so I don't get caught? Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 02:00:48 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »

Just make a little shroud out of gorilla tape. Slip it over and attach with a rubber band, small bungee or velcro strap. Make sure it sits tight up against the lens housing.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: