Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How do you make hard edges for a roll-and-clip stuff sack? on: February 24, 2014, 06:19:58 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »

I just discovered that I have a stuff sack that fits my bedroll perfectly. However I want to install a long, hard bit of material to pinch together to aid in rolling it down and cinching it closed-- the kind of hard material they use on dry bags and seatbags. It's like two 1" pieces of _something_. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is that I can sew into a hem to do this, or if maybe there is a tutorial out there. On a Viscacha is appears to be a 3/4" length of something (fiberglass?) that mates with the other half of the bag (no stiffener) to roll down and clip.

Thanks for the advice!!

headbang

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: How do you make hard edges for a roll-and-clip stuff sack? Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:22:21 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »

Two options I can think of right now:

1) If you're using Xpac by any chance (more for future reference of folks reading, since you're modifying an existing sack), it's quite stiff by itself.  On a recent pack I made I just hemmed the Xpac (by folding over twice, so that's three layers thick) and sewed webbing onto the end that the buckles attach to.  That was enough stiffening for me.

2) thin strips of flexible cutting boards or other thin plastic (zip ties also work for small applications).  I have some plastic place mats that I got at a thrift store and occasionally use for stiffening things.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: How do you make hard edges for a roll-and-clip stuff sack? Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:57:02 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

In this case I'm using (I know...) some gore-tex from an old military bivvy sack. Fairly floppy fabric. It turns out that you can fit my bedroll right into the toebox perfectly, so I'm making the rolling-edge on the widest part. I don't have any plastic... do you suppose coroplast would work? Perhaps too thick. It needs to be about 2 feet wide. I have some fairly stiff 1" webbing, which might do the trick... I'll see what materials I have in the old fabric box.

bom

Topic Name: How do you make hard edges for a roll-and-clip stuff sack? Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:11:57 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:11:57 AM »

I don't know if it'll be large enough for you, but I've used pieces of those thin plastic cutting boards to stiffen things up.

Topic Name: How do you make hard edges for a roll-and-clip stuff sack? Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:34:32 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »

Just so everyone knows--- I ended up sewing two lengths of normal semi-stiff 1" black webbing into the two sides of the roll closure. It is stiff enough to roll down a bag that is over 2" wide.

Topic Name: How do you make hard edges for a roll-and-clip stuff sack? Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:33:46 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »

0.06 HDPE plastic - Look in your town for a plastics fabricator and buy a scrap piece.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: