Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 01:40:15 PM
prkoski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »

It has been persistently cool this spring here in the West End and I suspect the snow is still lingering high up not only on the Uncompahghre but in the la Sals as well. I've had a few inquirers about conditions for late spring rides coming through Nucla on the PT. My advise, don't wait for the long sought after reroute, just do it. Either come through Nucla on the "official" trail for supplies or take the old route which is still there, your choice. 

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 08:39:34 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »

The course is the course is the course! Ahem.  An infinite number of routes in the region could be combined to create something new, but there is only one Grand Loop Wink It is full of magic even though it gets glossed over for newer purpose-built routes. It's an adventure...nice to see folks talking about it again!

Krefs nailed the timing FYI. I tried it one year when the columbine snotel hit zero and was met with 4' of snow up top. 2 weeks later it was mostly dry.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 10:19:24 PM
DizzyDave

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »

Hi guys.  I went up to scout the higher portions of the route on the Uncompahgre on 5/10 and 5/11.  It was still too snowy and muddy IMO, although I suspect it is getting ride-able now. 

In any case, I plan to start riding on Friday 5/23 or Saturday 5/24. It would be cool to have company if anyone is interested.  Shoot me a note via this forum or email if you are interested in joining.  daviduga@hotmail.com.      -Dave 

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 08:26:02 AM
bgiro

Location: On a long a low elevation rail trail, East of Omaha..

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »

Bump up the list.

I was thinking of attacking the TD this coming May, but maybe I should diversify my routes/challenges a bit.  Its a little early, but I'm thinking of a early June start.  Hopefully, the winter/spring weather will cooperate to allow for a group start in June.

I need to determine where the good water sources are.  I imagine in June there should be lots good water along the route.

Bruce

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 02:46:55 PM
dusfou

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »

Bump again.  I was thinking of riding this Memorial day weekend if anyone is interested.  Looks like this is one of the first dry weeks of the year for the past few according to the Columbine Pass snotel.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 06:01:43 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 06:01:43 AM »

Anyone else considering a grand loop ride this spring?  The columbine snowtel now reads zero so trails should nearly be ready??  I've never done this loop before and am a bit confused about the best route, especially in the paradox/bedrock/nucla region. 

I am wondering if it is worth it to follow the race route and go through bedrock?  It seems like the only reason the race went through Bedrock was to allow for resupply, and now it's questionable if the bedrock store is even open?  So I am considering not dropping into the paradox valley and instead staying up on carpenter ridge and then taking the radium trail through red canyon to hwy 141.  Or taking the parallel trail above red canyon that stays up on carpenter flats to 141?  Once at 141 I was thinking of taking the hwy to uravan and the rejoining the route at the spring creek truck trail.  Anyone that knows this area have any thoughts?

I also have route questions around Nucla.  Seems like I'm going to need a resupply somewhere so Nucla might be my best bet.  I have a gpx track that shows a route through Nucla.  Is this the "new" paradox trail created to avoid private property issues?  If I go through Nucla am I missing some "good" trail?  I could drop into Nucla and then return to the old trail at the point I exited as to not miss any of the old trail if that would be worth it. 

I've read the old threads on this loop and I'm still totally confused on this part of the paradox trail.  Also the route description on this site mentions something called the Koski traverse?  I've searched but can't find anything?  It that something I should know about?  Perhaps some alternates could be added to the page for this route.  It sounds like that was the intention but it never happened. 

Finally it seems like it would be cool to finish with some singletrack at the lunch loops in GJ.  Does anyone have a gpx track or a suggestion of how to end this loop on singletrack.?  I've only been to lunch loops once and found it somewhat confusing.  I'd like to ride singletrack there but don't want to do too much routefinding as I'm sure I'll be totally brain dead by then. 

Sorry for the rambling post.  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 10:03:30 AM
Rorr

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »

What is the route of the Grand Loop? I'm looking for some new stuff for next year.

Robert Orr

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 10:13:50 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »

Kokapelli, paradox, and tabaguache trails. See the routes page on this website.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 02:34:24 PM
BryanK

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »

Hey Aaron.  I've been tentatively planning a grand loop this spring.   I was hoping to go for a really early attempt but the weather hasnt been cooperating of late.  Looks like the columbine snotel site got 8" snow about 3 weeks ago, and we just got some heavy rains in the area.  The precip gauge went up a whole inch in one day.  So I'm thinking it's still maybe a little soggy up there, but it's got to be close.

As for your route questions.  Theres some good info on the Nucla stuff here if you havent seen it. http://www.paradoxtrail.org/  The Koski traverse is the Upper Spring Creek Mesa to South Fork Mesa Creek section.  If your planning to resuply in Nucla, I'd just stick with the main Paradox trail (No Bedrock), but after crossing tabeguache creek stay on the main rd. into town.  You can then reconect with the paradox trail at Glencoe Bench.  Which I believe is the suggested route now.  I was planning to just stick with the old private property route unless a problem a rises.

As for the ST into GJ.  There's a lot of options.  The tabeguache is the fastest route to beer though!   When you planing to start? 

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:15 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

Hey Bryan thanks for the info.  I think I'm starting to wrap my head around a route.  At the moment I'm thinking of deviating from the race route provided on this site and skipping Bedrock and instead doing carpenter ridge/red canyon/S fork mesa ck/koski traverse.  Then likely a Nucla resupply.  Tentative plans right now are to start May 20 unless I find out there's too much snow.  Perhaps May 27 as a backup.  Contemplating a westwater start as to stack the end of the ride with services (GJ, fruita).  If anyone sees a problem with my route or timing with snow melt please let me know!

Where is the issue with private property on the old route?  Is it on the part of the trail that going into Nucla bypasses?  If you do a loop are you thinking no resupply?

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 07:35:19 AM
BryanK

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 07:35:19 AM »

Yeah the private property is north of Nucla, you'd miss it going into town.  I would think by the 20th the snow should be long gone, but if we keep getting this rain it might  still be muddy.  If there is snow or mud, the divide rd. should still be passable.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 08:41:05 PM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »

On target with everything you've proposed below....Nucla is your resupply, not Bedrock. Wasn't there a river that used to run through there?  crybaby2

There was snow again above 8,000 ft this weekend down in these parts- it'll again dry quick, but we're stuck in some weird storm Nino cycle for sure in SWCO. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-108.20393&lat=38.22204#.VVlft8ZXqYk
Amazing to have snow and dirt rides on the CT, all in the same week!

Hey Bryan thanks for the info.  I think I'm starting to wrap my head around a route.  At the moment I'm thinking of deviating from the race route provided on this site and skipping Bedrock and instead doing carpenter ridge/red canyon/S fork mesa ck/koski traverse.  Then likely a Nucla resupply.  Tentative plans right now are to start May 20 unless I find out there's too much snow.  Perhaps May 27 as a backup.  Contemplating a westwater start as to stack the end of the ride with services (GJ, fruita).  If anyone sees a problem with my route or timing with snow melt please let me know!

Where is the issue with private property on the old route?  Is it on the part of the trail that going into Nucla bypasses?  If you do a loop are you thinking no resupply?

michaelackerman.org

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 07:02:57 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 07:02:57 AM »

Still looking a bit moist up on the plateau at this point, does anyone have this on their radar?  If I give it another go my target start date is June 5th, but as always I'll move that around a bit due to weather and/or course conditions.  Hopefully things dry out a bit over the next two weeks...

The latest update from the FS (5/20) still says Divide Road is closed.  Cite: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gmug/home (click Spring Road Conditions under Quick Links on the right hand side of the page and then find the Uncompahgre reports in the list.)

Depending on your disposition, NOAA has a fairly good link for their snow analysis: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16:42 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16:42 AM »

This is on my radar...  I was hoping to start this wednesday but it seems like that may be jumping the gun a bit.  Never done the loop before but it sounds hard enough without fighting snow/mud.  Guess I should probably give it another week or so....?

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 03:22:25 PM
gbach

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »

aaron, greg bachman here.  I'm planning on heading out to the west end once school's out, and if the weather is not wet.  Um... not planning to do the GL as of yet, and I might be starting June 2nd or 3rd.  Really depends on the conditions so I may end up on pavement, more or less.  To give you any beta might be too late, but I could try to call you from say, Nucla.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 09:55:27 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »

Hey guys, again this thread pops up, what are your thoughts on a fall Pedal?

Does anyone have the new GPX with updated re-routes.

Thanks,
Neil

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 05:21:36 AM
prkoski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 05:21:36 AM »

The new 17 mile reroute has been completed and signed although a map and gpx track will be handy for this and the entire PT. Data can be downloaded from our new site :  westendtrails.org. You can contact me for more specific info if you wish.  pdkoski@gmail.com

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 09:14:47 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 09:14:47 AM »

The new 17 mile reroute has been completed and signed although a map and gpx track will be handy for this and the entire PT. Data can be downloaded from our new site :  westendtrails.org. You can contact me for more specific info if you wish.  pdkoski@gmail.com

That's great news, congrats on completing it, Paul!  How much of the new reroute is singltrack?

I found the GPX for the full Paradox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znvvmeg0tzbcp5q/Paradox%20Trail%20-%20All%20Segments%20gpx.gpx?dl=0

Thinking a little about a fall tour of the GL, and the reroute does make it more tempting...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:13 AM
prkoski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »

Of the 17 mile reroute, about 4 1/2 miles are single track. That being said, the rest rides alot like singletrack typical of PT trail conditions. Oh, did I mention there are also two hike a bikes in there as well? Enjoy! icon_biggrin

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 11:03:29 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »

Of the 17 mile reroute, about 4 1/2 miles are single track. That being said, the rest rides alot like singletrack typical of PT trail conditions.

Right.

Oh, did I mention there are also two hike a bikes in there as well? Enjoy! icon_biggrin

I would expect nothing less!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: