Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Anyone else not like riding with a Gas tank? on: February 21, 2014, 06:16:16 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »

So I've only tried one gas tank, the timbuk2 goody bento box, but it drives me nuts! It hits my knees when I'm pedaling out of the saddle and it seems like it doesn't really carry that much. I'm thinking about making my own that is skinnier and longer, but I dunno,  I think I might just not be a gas tank kind of rider. Am I the only one who doesn't like having a bag there? any body found solutions for similar struggles?

Topic Name: Anyone else not like riding with a Gas tank? Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:42 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »

I've made a couple longer ones for my bikes. The good thing is you can add more straps along the top tube to help hold it in place. Not too tall either.

I found it helpful to really crank down the hook and loop straps to help keep them from shifting around as much especially when pedaling out of the saddle as you've mentioned. The tighter and closer I've gotten the bag to the head tube/steer tube/stem the less it moves around, this is key for me.

They're probably one of the least efficient bags in terms of volume:weight:amount of work to make. But they are handy for small things like glasses, p&s camera, quick snack etc. more of a 'junk drawer' than anything else.
I have run two at the same time, one with tools/pump near to the seatpost side and the 'junk drawer' to the steer side. This allowed for maximum space in the frame bag for food/water as my frame size is just under 18", so not huge.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Anyone else not like riding with a Gas tank? Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:36:53 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »

Yep, I only use my gas tank on my snowbike, hate it on other bikes for the same reason of hitting knees.

I use a super slim X-Lab Stealth Pocket 100 in place of the gastank for my fargo and lynskey. Perfect racer size for my stuff. But I also run a bottle cage on my top tube, along with a jerrycan or other toptube bag on top for the extra storage (mainly camera)

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Anyone else not like riding with a Gas tank? Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:54 AM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »

Creative water bottle placement!  What's that orange and blue thing under your seat?

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Anyone else not like riding with a Gas tank? Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 03:42:47 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »

Rubber ball. The ball prevents the saddle sagging in the centre. Good saddle, but getting on a bit, the ball keeps it in service.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Anyone else not like riding with a Gas tank? Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:39:02 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »

I like it. I made a jerry can it's a bit wide, but the design is promising. I like that water bottle placement. I can see maybe a super thin gas tank, but I dunno, I don't really need the space, especially with a jerry can.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: