Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Maroon Bells Loop - Colorado on: August 21, 2010, 07:30:15 PM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »

So, I'll be taking 10 or so days thru Colorado just after Labor Day.
Still working on things for 5 days in the Durango-Silverton-Telluride area.
But, I'm also hitting the Crested Butte area after seeing the ride reports from Dave, Lynda and Scott.

For my time there, I came up with this:  The Maroon Bells Loop - 140 miles.
The route navigates around the Maroon Bells Wilderness area and takes you to Crested Butte, Aspen, Snowmass, Carbondale and Marble.  Goes to 12,300 between CB and Aspen.

The GPX file and way I'm riding it go clockwise with a Marble-Carbondale-Snowmass-Aspen-Crested Butte-Marble routing. 3 or 3 1/2 days for me.  Could end up playin and stayin somewhere and adding a day.

Get the GPX file
https://sites.google.com/site/dirtypursuits/trackfiles/randomdirt/MaroonBellsLoop140miles.gpx?attredirects=0&d=1

View route in Google Maps
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=39.120472,-107.013702&spn=0.510336,0.88028&t=h&z=10&msid=118334963713813823566.00048e7284e177af4fd6a
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:25:42 PM by DesertDog » Logged

Topic Name: Maroon Bells Loop - Colorado Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:23 PM
vaporjourney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »

Are you talking about biking the 4 Pass Loop?  If so, that's definitely out of the question because it lies within the Maroon Bells Wilderness Area, hence no bikes.   If you are talking about hiking it, then hell yea!  Absolutely one of the best hikes (on trails) in the country.

Topic Name: Maroon Bells Loop - Colorado Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:38:49 PM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »

No, everything is legal and outside the boundries of the Bells, as well as the Raggeds and the Collegiates.
Check the map again, I added on the Bells wilderness boundary to the map.

Topic Name: Maroon Bells Loop - Colorado Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:25 AM
vaporjourney

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:25 AM »

oops, now I"m looking at the map.  The route looks like a good one.  A large majority of dirt roads.  The road from Mt CB to Marble is really awesome.   You go up and over Schofield Pass, then down "Devils Punchbowl", which is a really sketchy section for jeepers, and just a fun and rocky shelf for mtb'ers.  There is a rails to trails (snore) system to connect Carbondale to Aspen, which is way better than the BUSY highway.  From Aspen back to CB, don't know much else. 

Good luck if you do this.  It's starting to get cold and occassionally snow up high around here...

Topic Name: Maroon Bells Loop - Colorado Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25:30 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »

Star Pass/400 is fantastic.  It was one of my favorite descents while there in July.  Don't forget your suspension Wink

Topic Name: Maroon Bells Loop - Colorado Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:48 PM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »

oops, now I"m looking at the map.  The route looks like a good one.  A large majority of dirt roads.  The road from Mt CB to Marble is really awesome.   You go up and over Schofield Pass, then down "Devils Punchbowl", which is a really sketchy section for jeepers, and just a fun and rocky shelf for mtb'ers.  There is a rails to trails (snore) system to connect Carbondale to Aspen, which is way better than the BUSY highway.  From Aspen back to CB, don't know much else. 

Good luck if you do this.  It's starting to get cold and occassionally snow up high around here...

While I was out at Pinetop this past week, started thinking about the next month and I think I'm going to skip the BP routes in CO (have another route to go from Silverton to Telluride to the CT and back to Silverton).  Just takes up too much of the time I'll have there and I'd rather just take in long trail rides and enjoy the areas.  I think for the CB area, I'll check out Aspen and Snowmass, do something of a backpacking trek into the Bells, then spend a couple days riding out of CB.

Leaving for your Salt Lake City later this week.  Ride up there for 5 or 6, then  to CO for 10 - 12, home to Vegas for a couple, then back across AZ for the Apache.  So now I need to start ironing out the plan for October!  Just let the weather stay nice until Halloween!

Talk to you soon on other matters.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: