Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals on: October 09, 2013, 06:28:45 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »

Ok so maybe I am obsessing a bit
would love to get a sense of what went wrong with people's bikes and why it broke?
I actually only broke a water bottle cage, mounted on my fork. Broke on the first day, somehow it managed to hold up till the last morning, then somehow got pulled into my front wheel. It broke two spokes and pierced my rim tape giving me a flat. Then I got another flat as I was riding on a tube and ran over goat heads.
Would love to hear some stories, tales, info
Thanks Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:34 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »

I'd be prepared for broken derailleurs and/or bent derailleur hangers, especially with the mud that can show up on course. Errant rocks or sticks can take out a derailleur as well.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:54:20 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »

I have a good feeling for the whole broken derailleur thing, I want personal examples of what broke and when and how.....

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:58:29 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »

So sorry, likely no help... but in 2 runs I only had a flat tire and crappy shifting. Crappy shifting was remedied by getting a shop on route to affix full housing from the shifter to rear der to keep the crud out.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:29:34 PM
Notsofastfreddy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »

If it can be broken, I am your guy, I have broken every part of a mountain bike, multiple times. headbang

Last year, the bottle cages mounted on the fork both broke, solved that by purchasing the Lezyne Power Cage and they worked flawlessly the whole way this year.  Bottle cages typically break at the weld so either something like this cage or a single wire will probably be best.

Bottom Bracket - This year the bottom bracket started creaking on day two, had it replaced in Whitefish. I am not sure why that happened, it was a brand new XTR installed just before the start.  Last year I did the same thing and rode that bottom bracket up until I replaced it for this year's race.  I rode through some water this year but I don't think it was up to the bottom bracket so I don't think it was that.

Jockey pulley - jammed the rear derauiller full of mud on the Bannack Rd.  Kept cleaning the tires and drivetrain until i got to a point I could ride.  Rode for a mile or so with the bike making all sorts of noises but I assumed it was just the mud on the frame hitting the tires or chain.  I finally stopped to see what all of the noise was but it was too late for the jockey pulley.  A stone had gotten wedged in the pully so it wouldn't rotate.  The chain wore the teeth total flat on the one side of the pulley in that very short distance.  Luckily I carry a spare, stopped by a stream washed the whole bike and replaced the pulley. Cleaned and lubed the chain and went on my way.

Other than that, I can tell you all about flat tires (11 this year), worn chains and chain rings, and if torn bib shorts count as a mechanical failure I had that happen this year also.

I don't fault the parts for most of my problems.  They are typically self-induced failure or caused by my xxl size and weight.  Things a smaller rider can get away with just don't hold up under my 250#'s Wink Wink

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:29:34 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

Oh, I take it back... i broke a fork mounted cage too; cracked at the weld. Fixed it with JB Weld in Del Norte!

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:32 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »

On a tour of half the route this year, both bikes in the group of four with fork mount water bottles on front shock housings (sorry - don't know brands) suffered numerous (> 8 total) bottle ejections, mounts fell off, and in one case mount rotated, partly loose, and could easily have jammed in the spokes.

ANY front fork shock mount = BAD design

The gentle reader can do the engineering analysis of 750 grams H2O, being subjected to near instantaneous acceleration of up to several inches, upon wheel impact with rocks, ruts, etc..

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:05 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »

funny lots of broken fork mounted H2O cages....it was my only failure that lead to two flats...maybe gonna try to avoid them this year...
Thanks Everyone, keep em coming!
Jefe

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:50:11 PM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »

Jefe, interesting story, something not so serious like a broken cage leading to something much worse like a damaged wheel and multiple flats.
I generally think of myself as being easy on equipment and in my experience the divide isn't all that hard on equipment. But things can go downhill quickly.
In 2012, I had a chain link crack between Basin and Butte. I noticed it quickly and stopped peddling before the chain came apart. I removed the broken link and fixed my 10 speed XT chain with a Sram 10 speed power link, which works fine by the way. Ten miles down the route I replaced the chain in Butte. Over a week later my XTR 980 peddle died just before Jay's bar outside of Grants. That led to 14 hours sourcing a replacement on a Friday afternoon and evening.
As far a I made it this year I only had one puncture. After descending Fleecer ridge, I was enjoying myself a bit too much. Probably riding faster than necessary on the double track at the bottom and suffered a puncture just before the gravel starts. I fixed it with a tubeless tire plug. http://weldtite.co.uk/products/detail/cycle-tubeless-tyre-outside-repair-kit
Then later that evening in Russ Kipp's garage at the Montana High Country lodge I patched the inside of the tire. I carry tubeless tire patches and glue for automotive tires, works great. I didn't lose a noticeable amount of sealant during either repair.
Craig.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:19 AM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:19 AM »

wookieone, I ran the exact same stock set-up on my bike that it originally came with from the factory - that primarily being Shimano Deore, with the rear cassette and derailleurs being XT. Pretty much low-end I would say but with some quality. I did swap out my Hayes hydraulic disc brakes in lue of Avid BB7's for the TOUR. I replaced each item and did a complete overall the week before the race. I personally didn't suffer any drivetrain mechanicals during the entire race - largely in part to proper shifting throughout I believe. I ran the same chain for the entire race, just kept on top of it with cleaning & lube. Paying attention to ones bike, and general TLC provided onto it each day goes pretty far. I think that was pretty damn good for having a total package weight [bike & rider] of somewhere around 260 lbs. I ran tubeless the entire time, and did not flat even once. I did though, blow a seal on my front fork the day before I finished - clearly resulting from that thick GILA NATIONAL FOREST FUDGE! I did see many riders who suffered from those mounted front fork water bottle holders. Saw a few of them left broken off on some rocky downhill's.  

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:47 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »

Thanks...
I am formulating my set up for this coming TD and very much appreciate everyone's input
Curious what tires did you run Stappy?
I ran pretty heavy tires and had no issues till I ruptured my rim tape(broken spokes from broken fork mounted cage), put in a tube(NO), then wandered off the road and got another flat. The funny thing is I was maybe 40 miles from Antelope Wells and my ride home drove by on the way to the border and asked if I needed any help...I was so mad, and so close to being done that I growled at them "go away". Apparently I was not very nice about it and folks really do not get the whole self supported thing unless they have done it!
anyways love the input and the stories
Jefe 

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:03:15 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »

Jefe, I know this doesn't help you, but for others reading this thread I will 2nd the recommendation for full housing on the shifters.  After going that route on the TD I now run full housing on all my mtbs. 

Also for those ejecting bottles from their fork mounted cages, ummm didn't you experiment with this before taking on the GDR?  Of course the bottles get launched.  You've got to give them some extra support, I used ski straps.  My King cages survived no problem, but maybe I just got lucky.  In fact, I *know* I got lucky.

I ran the same chain and drivetrain for the entire route (and then continued to use and abuse them once I got back).  No mechanicals what so ever.  XT drivetrain.  For tires I ran the non-tubless version geax saguarro.  No flats, just added sealant in steamboat and salida. 

Keep the stories coming,  good stuff. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:43 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:43 AM »

Thanks Aaron,
actually is wasn't the bottles, but the cage. It broke on the first day! I just strapped it down, duct taped it and had no problem till the last morning, then all hell broke loose. It could have been prevented I suppose, it was a 6 year old King SS cage, I should have started with all new but I was broke and barely made it to Banff as it was. I am thinking of not running the fork mounted cages next year....
I agree with full length housing...
I ran a TNT Saguaro on front and a full UST Crossmark on the back, it was not light...on flow rims none the less!
I am going with gears this year for sure and appreciate your input!
Jefe

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:39:10 AM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:39:10 AM »

Jefe, I ran the lightest tires that I thought would be reliable. Specialized 1.95 s-works renegade for the front, 460 grams. Specialized 2.0 s-works fast track for the rear, 500 grams. The renegade is a great tire and I haven't felt anything faster. I ran the fast track on the rear only for the deeper tread so it would last long enough. The puncture was on the rear. Specialized tubeless ready tires have fantastic beads. Easy to mount without tire irons and they air up so easily, I can get the bead to seat with just my mini pump on the trail side. I changed both tires in Steamboat but they still had good tread and may have been able to go the distance.
What tire pressures is everyone running? I was around 22 psi.
Craig.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:42:37 AM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »

I'd also agree that the Saguaro and UST crossmark are bomber, I just wanted to be lighter. It's a tough ask for a tire, Light fast, durable and reliable.
A little off topic but what tires do you run at CTR Jefe?
Craig.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

"...Russ Kipp's garage at the Montana High Country lodge..." Harrrr!

Like Stappy I had a tubeless flat (mine = sidewall cut), but on the Red Lake-Whitefish descent. Tubed it until "Russ's Garage" - gotta love it! Also patched the inside, Karen picked up extra sealant for me in Helena (she was already shopping there), and I fixed it along with routine replacing a set of brake pads that I brought along. Tires were Conti Race Kings. Too many sidewall slit stories for next time, but they rolled great. Other than that no mechanicals. Geartrain SRAM X7 front/X9 rear. 10 speed, 12-36 cluster, 3 ring front, new chain before ride.

Russ/Karen run a nice place, doesn't get much better than there - stop by!  thumbsup

Glen

PS Adventure Cycle has 'em several miles north of Polaris, They are one mile north. Montana High Country lodge  website: mhct dot com

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 01:20:25 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »

Ran 2.35 Icon front and a Crossmark UST, rear, 29er, for the CTR, no issues, solid as Sears
Again, big thanks everyone!

pedaling is my prozac...

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 12:29:00 PM
Prometheus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

On day six (northbound) my rear hub failed.  It would engage and disengage randomly, ultimately forcing me to abandon the race.  I was really disappointed and surprised a new for the season hub made by a quality manufacturer based in Oregon failed.  Got home and rebuilt the hub and it was fine.  Next year, I will bring a cassette tool and hope to be able to borrow a wrench and fabricate a chain whip if needed.  Of course, many flats in southern NM.  Non-mechanical and funny story was hitting a broken bottle with my front tire and sending it into my leg with a cut down to the bone.  Glad I had a first aid kit.  I have a great scar to tell stories now.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
drews256

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »

I had a rear derailleur pulley wheel seize in the Gila. This meant that my rear derailleur was worthless in the Gila. But I eventually jerry rigged it together to work. In fact maybe I should actually fix it... I also had a worn out middle chain ring and spent way, way to long in Breckinridge trying to find one. I threw it on backwards and rode to Salida where they not only had the chain ring but were so much more helpful than the annoying people in Breck. I am pretty sure I knew more about bikes than most of the "mechanics" I talked to in Breckinridge. I replaced my chain twice and my cassette twice as well. I blew a sidewall outside of Butte and had the pleasure of buying a new tire at the Outdoorsman. I also only had one flat right before the highway that leads into Atlantic City until the last day where I got 3 flats on my way into Antelope Wells I was running tubes.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Mechanicals Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 06:47:25 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 06:47:25 AM »

Broke 4 1st gen everything cages in 2012 (the new versions is way stouter been playing with carrying growlers with them) , 2 chains, got to butte on 2 panaracer driver 29er tires setup toobless.... being fixed haven't had too much go wrong for me other then body and outside events =)
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: