Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #80 on: October 23, 2010, 07:53:36 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2010, 07:53:36 AM »

I made a frame bag for the Pugsley, in order to make it ready for some overnighters. It took me about seven hours to make, and while the craftsmanship probably is far from that on the commercial alternatives, the result seems quite good. I used 1000D Cordura, which is pretty strong. Spectra would probably be both stronger and lighter, but the finished bag still weighed only 300g, so I think the Cordura is a good alternative. As I understand Spectra is both hard to find and more difficult to use.

The design is basically the same as on the one I made for the Fargo. which has worked great. The bag is divided into two compartments by a velcro divider, which make it possible to adjust the width also in the middle of the bag. Two zippers give access to the compartments. The frame bag was loaded with some camera equipment, bike gear and a down jacket (no compression bag) to really fill it up for the test ride.

I added a map pocket to the left side panel. Might come in handy.

The Pugsley frame bag is a lot wider. On the Fargo I made the panels that go against the tubes 6 cm wide and on the Pugsley 9 cm wide. The Pugsley has a wider BB than the Fargo and the frame triangle is lower, which should allow for more width. A three hour test ride revealed no problem, but I would not go much wider. The velcro fastening system does make it possible to tighten it more, thus making it more narrow if necessary. It worked great as it was, though.

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #81 on: October 23, 2010, 12:45:58 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »

Thought I would share this with the group. this is the third version and after using it this past winter spring and summer I am pleased with the results.  I think it has the best of both worlds (rack and seatbag).

Most of  the components I already had on hand, straps from old backpacks, heim ends from my racing days, pump up spray jug...etc.  With this system I can change volume capacity simply by using different size S2S eVent dry bags- from xsmall 6 lt. to med 14 lt (occasional leg rub on med depending on terrain).

It weighs a little over 16oz without the 2 bottle cages, which is about the same as most seat post bags with a dry bag added.

A plus for those that do not sew, no needle and thread were harmed in the making of this project.     

?'s fire away.    Single Speed T

Additional pix can be found here     http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/pro_out/         

* bikepack2.jpg (168.87 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2633 times.)

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 02:28:17 AM
DoctorRad

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 02:28:17 AM »

Thought I would share this with the group. this is the third version and after using it this past winter spring and summer I am pleased with the results.  I think it has the best of both worlds (rack and seatbag) ... A plus for those that do not sew, no needle and thread were harmed in the making of this project.

I like the No-Sew approach, it's where I'll start with my gear, but will probably buy a sewing machine at some point.

I can see how most of your rack is made, but what's the main 'cradle' part made out of? And where do you get the side-loading bottle cages from?

Cheers,

Dr. Matt...

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:53 AM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:53 AM »

what's the main 'cradle' part made out of?

Added another pic to photobucket, not clear as to "cradle", but hope this helps.

Cages  http://cgi.ebay.com/Alloy-Water-Bottle-Cage-Holder-Side-Load-Silver-Black-/290489413037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a284adad

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 02:15:09 PM
DoctorRad

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »

Added another pic to photobucket, not clear as to "cradle", but hope this helps.

Just checked the first photo: what I was referring to as the cradle is the part made from the pump up sprayer jug. I'll have to keep my eyes open for something similar in the UK.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #85 on: November 23, 2010, 07:49:29 AM
thelocust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »

i've been lurking on this thread for a few weeks and i finally got the bits to make some gear, and i've got to say whatever eric charges isnt enough! man this was the most fiddly sewing project ever, although i think it came out OK in the end. i'd do some things differently next time and i'm sure the 2nd one would go much faster but here is my first bit of gear, a Gas Tank.  it's about 3.5x4.5x8. the whole thing is lined with closed cell foam and seems pretty sturdy. but seriously sewing all these tiny bits together was a PITA. i'm making the frame bag tonight and i think its going to seem like a piece of cake after this tiny thing.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #86 on: November 23, 2010, 08:54:29 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2010, 08:54:29 AM »

I'm making the frame bag tonight and i think its going to seem like a piece of cake after this tiny thing.

Please make sure to let us know how it went, with pictures if possible. I'm going to have to start making my own framebag soon. What fabric are you using?
Have fun!! Smiley

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #87 on: November 23, 2010, 09:14:35 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2010, 09:14:35 AM »

Most of  the components I already had on hand, straps from old backpacks, heim ends from my racing days, pump up spray jug...etc.  With this system I can change volume capacity simply by using different size S2S eVent dry bags- from xsmall 6 lt. to med 14 lt (occasional leg rub on med depending on terrain).

I love the ability to use a different size dry bag.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #88 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:28 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

but seriously sewing all these tiny bits together was a PITA.

Smiley
once everything goes numb it gets easier.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #89 on: November 24, 2010, 07:24:34 AM
thelocust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2010, 07:24:34 AM »

i totally got into the zone last night and busted through the frame bag and a seatbag. the seatbag turned out really great and i guess so did the frame bag, im really happy how it all turned out although my ocd might get the better of me and cause me to make another gas tank bag but that can wait for the time being while i test these out. ill snap some better pics of the gear off the bike tonight but here are a few picws i grabbed while i was walking out the door thismorning.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #90 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:50 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »

That is some really nice looking bags. I'm especially impressed with the gas tank bag, it looks like it would be more difficult to make than the frame bag.

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #91 on: November 24, 2010, 07:53:10 AM
thelocust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »

ha you are right, the frame bag was a relative piece of cake compared to that little thing.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #92 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:13 PM
rperks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »

Frame bag No1 is done. 

Thank you to everyone here who has ever posted what and how they did it.  My bag is a bit untraditional for this forum, I went with 16 oz canvas for the sides, and jr. balistics for the parimeter to avoid abraision issues.  I was so excited to finish in time for a group ride today that I forgot to weigh it.  Dimensions are roughly 6x2x21 inches.  I worked flawlessly today for a 2l platypus, Gorilapod tripod, windbreaker and knee warmers with room to spare.  I am already thinking of No. 2 based on what I learned from this one.

My biggest revelation to share, staples!  Better than the pins that were useless and the sail maker's double stick tape.  You can sew over them, and pull them out after the stitching is done.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #93 on: December 12, 2010, 04:02:24 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »

that bag looks great, Rob!

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #94 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:06 PM
jimfab

Are those new slacks?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »

I got myself a new frame last week since my wife decided she wanted my old one. The new one is same as my old one a Hei Hei 2-9 this is is just a 20" , my old one was 19". I got it just after having a wisdom tooth out, i was still numb and happy at the bike store. My tooth turned into dry socket witch is very very painful, and forced me to put off my build and miss the Mcdowell 60 last weekend. But i did have a few moments to make a new frame bag, well 2 in fact. I made one just like my other bike, then another more fancy. Both turned out good. they keep getting better. This one has straps for my pump and a small bag on the big compartment side to hold my patch kit, multi tool, chain links, and tire iron. You know, all the stuff that eats holes in the bottom of your bag or spare tube that you can never find when you need it...  I already have ideas for the next one i want to build as soon as i can get more #5 bulk zipper. Anyway, Looks like everybody else is really pushing things on bag development, Real nice work out there! Keep up the good work. Here is a picture of all my new toys.

Cheers-JF

* konaframebag1.jpg (155.74 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2121 times.)

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #95 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:16 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »

Bumping this thread after moving over here to DIY.  Lots of good info here.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #96 on: December 07, 2011, 08:35:46 PM
mtnbud

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »

I'm new to the Forum.  Joined after learning of bikepacking.  I've been touring for over 20 years and would like to try a tour by single track and dirt roads.  After seeing all your MYOG, I decided I should try and put something together.   Rather than buying new material, I went rummaging through the local Goodwill to see what I might use to pirate material.  I found a smallish guitar case made of cordura for $3.  After looking at it, I decided to see what would happen if I used the initial structure and just cut off the stem.  This is what became of it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/118426596341481498917/SeatPackForMountainBikeFromGuitarCase#slideshow/5681015035638855954

Do you guys have any thought or suggestions for me?  I've tried the pack out and it rides just fine.  I have to cinch it up real tight to keep it from swaying.  It doesn't interfere with my legs and holds tight and secure.  I'm not sure about the size - I'm guessing it's probably on the small side for a seat bag?  I want to figure out how to make a sling next to carry my sleeping system next.  I'm hoping I can get packs and gear figured out by next summer so I can try some off road touring!

Topic Name: Home made bike bag Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 01:29:24 AM
TaitettaVille

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »

Hi, I am first time writer, but I have been reading forums for a long time. I have found great tips for DIY-gear. Thank you very much!

I made few frame bags. For Treks framebag I  used one strip of fabric for spine. In second ant third frame bag I used 4 or 5 strips of fabrics for spine. I found using multiple pieces of fabric easier than one piece spine. Is there any downsides for using multiple strips?

Framebag and Gastank for Trek Fuel Ex 8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/villeparkkinen/sets/72157629620075215/

IMG_1679 by ville.parkkinen, on Flickr

Framebags for our tandem
http://www.flickr.com/photos/villeparkkinen/sets/72157629620279893/

IMG_1696 by ville.parkkinen, on Flickr

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: