Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best Bag Company on: January 20, 2013, 07:41:58 PM
Scatman

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking to get some simply responses on who makes the best custom bike packing bags. (I know many have had issue with CDW and others.  I'm looking for quick answers.  We'll leave the rants for some other time)

I'm curious about:

Quality
Durability
Turn Around
Communication

This is the current list from the MTBR forum:

-Revelate Designs LLC
-Cleaveland Mountaineering
-Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket
-Wildcat Gear, in the UK
-Phantom Pack Systems
-Bike Pack, from Poland
-Bed Rock Bags
-F3 Designs
-Bike-Bag, another outfit outta the UK!
-Bolder Bikepacking Gear (12Wheels) Saddlebags and bikepacking gear
-Becker Sewing and Design https://www.facebook.com/beckerdesign
-Savvy Sewing Custom Gear https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003513366918
-J.PAKS_Adventure Cycling Frame Bags
-Barking Bear Bagworks, jsnsnll@gmail.com
-Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks
-OVEJA NEGRA threadworks
-Lone Mountain Innovations LLC
-Shift Bikepacking
-Alpkit

-Carousel Design Works

I didn't find a post about this but if there is one please direct me there.  Thank you.

Scatman

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:51:20 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »

Bolder Bikepacking now has a site, with some nice shots of his gear:

http://bolderbikepacking.wordpress.com/

Greg does an incredible job with both turn-around and communication. More than thrilled to use his gear for 2 Tour Divides.

I have a handlebar harness/bag from Cleaveland Mountaineering which I'm pretty happy with. A fairly useful piece of kit!

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:27 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »

Most of my bags are by Revelate. The best. Period. Cleveland mountaineering and Porcelain Rocket are a close second. I have bags by all three and others. So first hand experience is speaking.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:04:58 PM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:04:58 PM »

i got a frame bag from greg.  i would say the communication with him was really good;  we talked on the phone about what i was looking for and he had some good suggestions.  the turn around was fine;  i would say if you are looking to get set up for this summer you should order now.  the frame bag he made is very nice;  the seams re as good as i've seen.  the design is simple; which is great by me;  but if you are looking for some complex different pockets and stuff you might want to look at some of the other guys.

the rest of my kit is cdw; as far as i can tell i was one of the last people to actually get something from jeff.  the stuff is impecable;  but so many other people are out making stuff now that any minor differences is negligible.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:19 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »

Without a doubt the greatest craftsman in the game........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/porcelainrocket/
http://www.porcelainrocket.com/
Just email Scott, you'll be happy you did.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:29:28 AM
cavscout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »

Hamilton Threadworks did my seat bags and Sara was great to work with on my custom design.

http://hamiltonthreadworks.blogspot.com/

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks has also done a real nice top tube bag for me.

I plan to do business with both again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:52:12 AM by cavscout » Logged

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:44 AM
Duff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:44 AM »

Another vote for Boulder Bikepacking
I have seat bag, and in design process with Greg for custom frame bag
Greg is really quick in response to email and quality seems great

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:57 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »

I have a revelate sling & pocket and gas tank.  They are excellent quality and the owner was quick to respond to questions and when I noticed a problem with the gas tank (the velcro was too short to go around my top tube), he offered to send me a fix (btw, I believe he changed the velcro length on all gas tanks now to make them longer).

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:07:43 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »

+1 for Scotty the hottie, mastermind at Porcelain Rocket. All my bags, save for the backpack are of his prowess. Nary a problem with the bags, unless it was from my own foolery, and even then he offered to replace it. He's a super cool dude, even though he's Canadian. Wink For the longest time, I thought the only great things to come out of Canada were comedians, hockey players, some select supermodels, and maple syrup. Here's to Scott rounding out a classy, upper-echelon of Canada, and opening my eyes to the great north.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:14 PM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »

I don't know if it's the best but my Revelate bags are awsome

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:32:05 PM
n5385067

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »

Another recommendation for both Porcelain Rocket and Revelate Designs. I have a mixture of both products on my bike, (custom from Porcelain Rocket, non-custom from Revelate Designs) and both Scott and Eric respectively were excellent to detail with and; both products of high quality. I ordered from Australia without issue and all items from both suppliers shipped to Australia without incident. As my frame-bag was a custom design, I ordered this through Scott at Porcelain Rocket, so naturally there was a need for me to communicate more with Scott than with Eric, as Eric's products are stock items. Scott's attention to detail and responses to my email questions were first class. Eric responded rapidly to the only email question I had regarding his products. Highly recommend both products.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 07:26:08 AM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »

Bolder Bikepacking now has a site, with some nice shots of his gear:

http://bolderbikepacking.wordpress.com/

Greg does an incredible job with both turn-around and communication. More than thrilled to use his gear for 2 Tour Divides.

I have a handlebar harness/bag from Cleaveland Mountaineering which I'm pretty happy with. A fairly useful piece of kit!

Heh, the site's not much to look at but I have a frame pack and two smaller frame/seatpost bags from him and it's all great stuff, though I haven't put it through Tour-Divide level beatings yet. He's great to work with but as someone else has said, he seems to be quite busy so you probably want to put in your orders sooner rather than later if you need them by a certain time!

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:58:47 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »

Another thumbs up for Greg at Bolder Bikepacking. He custom made a handlebar harness with pouch, oversized gas tank, frame bag, and skinny seat bag for low tire clearance for me last spring. I also have a Revelate seat bag and gas tanks. His stuff is comparable to Revelate, the gold standard. Greg worked with me on the frame bag through a couple different iterations until we got it dialed (though the first one was completely fine, I'm just picky). For his friendliness, outstanding customer support, and high quality product, I won't hesitate to use him again. Only downside is that he is busy and you need to give him plenty of lead time. If you don't have time, grab something stock from Revelate. I do like Revelate's gas tanks better though.
I've taken the gear across Scotland and on several weekend trips in Colorado. The frame bag lived on my bike all summer and fall. No complaints, and if I think of something to tweak, he'll work with me to get it dialed.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:47 AM
Chunt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »

I use a combination of Revelate and Carousel Design bags. Both are awesome quality and fit. Not sure you can't get Carousel's any longer, or just at this time. I would have no problem going with and recommending a full Revelate setup if I didn't have the Carou's already.

Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:45 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »

I currently use a mix of Bedrock Bags and Revelate gear.  Obviously Eric @ Revelate no longer does custom work, but his stock bags are really nice.  Andrew @ Bedrock makes full custom bags and I have a couple bar bags, some small feedbags, and a couple custom frame bags.  I'm waiting on a full custom seat bag right now.  Highly recommended, especially the handlebar bags - there are a lot of sweet little features found nowhere else.  Any time I have a little custom idea I just give my bags back to Andrew and he turns it into reality... sweet!

Both Andrew and Eric are great to work with, and Bedrock's wait time is virtually nil compared to some others.  Best of all (for me anyway) Bedrock is local!  Check it here - www.bedrockbags.com .

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:55 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »

Glad to hear Greg's been busy Wink He'll still be the first I'd contact concerning a new frame bag. It helps that I can pedal to his house!

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:54 PM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »

Another one not on the list that gets my "thumbs-up" is Rob Roberts from Burbank, CA, GOOD STUFF!

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:25 PM
Scatman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »

Do you have a link for him Coyote?

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 12:10:49 AM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 12:10:49 AM »

so glad someone asked this question. I've been debating between Porcelain Rocket and Revelate, but the price point seems to be driving me to Revelate. Is the extra money worth it to go PR?

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Best Bag Company Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:58 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:58 AM »

Glad to hear Greg's been busy Wink He'll still be the first I'd contact concerning a new frame bag. It helps that I can pedal to his house!

I'm having Greg make me a frame bag and one of the main reasons I went with him was that I could bring my bike and we could go through exactly what I wanted. I was there two hours on Monday.

woody
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: