Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 02:15:20 PM
J-No

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »

Chris, that would be awesome.  I cannot find anything around here.  If you happen to see one in the next couple weeks, great, otherwise I will just order one. 

I really appreciate it.

-J-No
jpatricknovak at gmail dot com

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 08:21:38 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »

I will call them tomorrow and see if they still have it. It's not too far to go downtown and pick it up this weekend sometime. Otherwise I'll pass any other links I find along. I posted an ad for a simmerlite and picked one up at half price with extras in a couple days with multiple people having one for sale.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 10:35:41 AM
JMeiser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »

J-No,  You might want to play a bit with alcohol stoves as well.  There's a few out there that are cheap and light.  Still not as good as White Gas, but it depends on what you want/need it for.  Are you using it to satisfy Arrowhead requirements and not planning on using it?  Are you using it for a multi-day excursion? 

Plesko's right though, don't bother buying new.  A co-worker sold a Whisperlite for 5- this week at work.  It was a year old and used once.

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:17 PM
J-No

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:17 PM »

Joe,

I followed your lead on the windscreen and the varga stove.  The base was unsteady so I adhered the stove to an upside down tuna can.  It works well in nice weather, just not so well in the cold.

The planner in me has me thinking I better have something that I can rely on for Arrowhead.

I work in surgery and have been trained to be prepared for many things that rarely happen.  When they do and S##t hits the fan, having things set up and ready is a lifesaver (literally).

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:53 PM
J-No

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »

I found a Whisperlite International for $50.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 04:36:12 PM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »

Commenting on a one year old thread. Fun. Smiley

I love alcohol for 3-seasons out of the year and use it in winter, but only for very short trips where I don't need to melt snow or boil water.   I have also used it in combination with a wood stove in winter using the wood stove for nightly chores like melting snow, heating and boiling water while using the alcohol for quick morning duties, i.e. grits and coffee. My favorite alcohol stove btw is the super-cat stove. I found jetted models to fickle in the winter. The supercat is drop dead stupid simple.

I'm planning on doing a December attempt at the Blue Ridge Parkway and will be taking my MSR Dragonfly "solo-ized".  Basically I just removed all the legs and made legs out of two spokes.  Dropped 3 ounces. But more importantly it can now fit in my Evernew 700 pot. Since the pot is small I may add a heat exchanger.  I like that the dragonfly does Diesel or unleaded without skipping a beat. 25 cents of fuel will literally last you a week and you can get that anywhere. Nothing hotter and you can get it anywhere.  Of course I prefer whitegas because it burns clean, but I'll opt for the simplicity and deal with the tiny bit of soot.  Besides my pot comes right off the flame and goes into a reflectix cozy. Soot is a non-issue.

I also have taken to carrying an extremely minimal wood stove. It's a simple 8" high, 4" across cylinder with ample holes for airflow. It works great as a backup and as a windscreen, but my primary purpose for carrying it are light, heat and the simple joys of a campfire without having to gather a lot of wood or scorhing the earth. When I'm done with a site you can't even tell I'm there. I highly value the leave no trace principals.

BTW, ISO Butane can work for your sub-zero tempt if you can turn the cartridge upsidedown. (Something about the fuel not vaporizing properly in extreme cold.) It's a good option if you have the right stove for short trips where speed and weight are key, i.e. 48 hour snow races.

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:59 AM
bivysack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:59 AM »

Stick with the whsiperlite mate, it might be little heavier but compared to to an alchol stove it's bliss. Personally, I switched from a Trangia to a dragonfly (burns almost anything) and I wouldn't swap back for a weekend with Claudia Schiffer! Well to be honest I might but she'd have to be very nice to me  thumbsup

Dave.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:30:21 AM by bivysack » Logged

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 10:42:20 AM
Schwizzle

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »

I've had the MSR Pocket Rocket for 3 years and used it bikepacking and hiking. It's light, efficient, compact and $35 brand new. 

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:48 PM
ridebikeme

Chase Cyclery

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »

I have a Jetboil, and have had great luck with it! Although I will admit that I haven't used it in the temps that many of you are talking about. Has anyone else tried one in colder temps?

Thanks for the info!

where the wheels are always moving...

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:30 PM
WWOOF

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »

This is what i'll be using in the future.

Mini Stove

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 04:35:40 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »

I made one of these.  It works great and wieghs nothing.  You can get that yellow Heet at almost any gas station.  I used Heineken cans cause I drink the hell out of beer.

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 05:02:22 PM
WWOOF

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »

Sweet dude, but where do you get a small quantity of fiberglass like that? home depot?  I think I'll be using Busch light or Natty because I only drink the highest quality cheap beer...

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 05:06:31 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »

No fiberglass.  I copied this stove:

http://www.bikepacking.net/individual_setups/penny-stove/

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 10:51:24 PM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »

After an enjoyable 30 day trip 1500+ miles down the eastern divide last january in which I had campfires 90% of the time I've vowed to attempt to go all wood this summer.

With no fuel necessary to carry it's the ultra in ultralight stoves.

I simply love wood. Love the smells, the joys of a campfire in the evening. Natural anti-bug qualities.  The superb heat / cook times and extended multi-course cooking.... i.e. setting the coffee/tea mug/pot back on the edge of the fire between sips.

To that end my kit has reached a new level of UL craziness.

ultralight cook kit, 2oz stove, 2.3oz pot, .6oz mug/bowl by mmeiser2, on Flickr

So, while my Supercat alcohol stove is .25 oz that does not include fuel which weighs atleast 5-8 ounces and usually 12 with container. Oh, and the need for a windscreen.

Besides, my wood stove can double as a windscreen if you want to use it in combination with an alcohol stove for versatility. At the very least it makes a great backup.

One might use alcohol in the morning or for a hot lunch and wood in the evening for extended length meals and the joys of a campfire.

Meanwhile in comparison to the alcohol, my wood one will probably weigh well less then 2oz when I'm finally finished with it. I need to perfect the joint and trim a lot of excess material.

Did I mention it can boil two cups of water in 2-2.5 minutes?  Crazy, but that's pretty consistent.  It's because the pot sits down inside the burner and the fire is all around it.  This also btw turns the wide bottom pot vs. narrow bottom pot argument on it's head.  Suddenly a narrow bottom pot becomes more effective then wide bottom, and narrow bottom pack way better too.

This configuration also works superbly with a trademark 700ml evernew or snowpeak pot. I like the high handles on my evernew 700.

As seen in the picture I'm experimenting with the venom energy drink bottle boiler because it and the stove fit easily in a standard water bottle cage and can be used during the day for water as well.  Regular weight Fosters / Heineken beer or pop can pots melt even with water in them in this stove. It's too hot.

I guess I find the venom bottle a little small for real use as a water bottle during the day so the ideal pot for me would be a wide mouth 24oz kleen kanteen... if I could find one lighter made out of aluminum instead of stainless steel. Having multiple uses for things like a pot as a water bottle is one of the best ways to cut weight and packing size. Indeed even a stainless steel kleen kanteen probably weighs less then the lightest titanium pot and a traditional water bottle combined. Not to mention it's one less thing to fit in the pack.

Wire twine handle... rules. Simple enough, stays cool, easy grabing off the fire, ultralight, easily moveable from an old pot to a new pot.

Soot... stove rolls up around sooted pot.  You can also use a small cloth kozy if you like but this is a complete non-issue for me, but others admitedly may be more soot obsessive.

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:13 PM
blesnar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »

I am most comfortable working with Whisperlite and though there are a lot lighter ones you can bring and choose from, I would still prefer to go with something I am really comfortable with.  I also helps that you are familiar with it already rather than try something out only to find out that they are not going to work when you get there. Just not an option if you ask me.

Topic Name: Small Efficient Stoves Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:06 AM
ImAFred

Big B

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »

With esbits couldnt you just burn two tabs at the same time for more heat?
I know for extra burn time I just slide a new one in before the other burns out and it works fine.

I dig dirt!
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: