Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 04:19:12 PM
Eastman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

Here you go, CCB; I got out of town for you!

Full report here: http://theslowbiker.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/hawk-hills-2/

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:47 PM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »

Now that was worth taking off work for.
Hawk Hills looks like a wonderful place to gather ones thoughts. Love the toasty toes photo
Thank you so much for posting. The blog photos even tell more of the story.

They say when you die your life's events flash before your eyes.
Wouldn't it suck if all one saw was his desk, computer, and cubicle during that playback.
Bravo to you for taking that Friday.

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 05:17:01 PM
Eastman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

You're my inspiration, proving there is life after retirement! 

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 06:36:13 PM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »

CCB those mountain sheep pictures are incredible...

Anyway, I just went bikepacking in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey this past weekend. Not the most scenic place on earth, but in mid-fall, it's pretty beautiful. I'll post a few pics here and leave the album link for your perusal...

The Troll is partway to a rackless bikepacking setup. As long as I have my current bulky sleeping bag (North Face Cat's Meow; it has served me well) I'll keep the rear rack around for it to sit on. Meanwhile the hammock, poncho-tarp and pot/stove plus extra clothes go in the handlebar roll (Revelate Designs) and a solid helping of Clif bars go in the pocket on top of that (also Revelate). The Frame bag is from Greg Wheelwright in Boulder, CO (12wheels on bikepacking.net forums - he makes a good bag, check him out!) It holds my water and the rest of the food, plus tools and maps and odds/ends in the smaller pocket. Since I don't have an underquilt for my hammock, I put my rolled-up sleeping pad in a backpack (REI Flash 18...weighs 10oz and rolls up tiny) and rode that way.

Google Maps took me on some very nice backroads into Wharton State Forest. I don't have a car, so I have to get places the hard way - biked to downtown Philly (on bike lanes the entire 3.5 mile way), took the train to Lindenwold, NJ and then rode 17 miles into the woods where the road turned into sand.

The full setup is visible here, complete with awkward backpack...an underquilt is next on my list of purchases for sure.

Camp in the morning

About to cross an old railroad bridge.

And here goes the album...many splendid fall foliage pictures lie within!

Photo Album - Imgur

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 01:00:33 AM
Eastman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 01:00:33 AM »

Great write up jb, and great colours!  I hope those Pine Barrens were as peaceful as they look.  Thanks for sharing.

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:47 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

Great stuff and amazing colors - especially in the link! I have fond memories of hiking and subsequently getting lost in the Pine Barrens as a youth. Also, I covet your saddle...

Ride on thumbsup

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 04:22:24 PM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

WOW WOW WOW jbphilly those fall colors are to die for and I love the troll, looks like the perfect bike for this kind of trip.
I never could understand why the peeps in Colorado get so excited about the Aspen trees changing.
I guess they've never seen the North East in the fall.

Thank you so much for posting your trip this bikepacking thread is really starting to look respectable.

Oh, one last comment. When I was looking at your photos in the link you provided
I was thinking man I could just sit down in the middle of the trail and look around a bit.
Then dam if I didn't see you do the very thing. We think alike my friend. Thanks again.

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:42 PM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

Haha yeah, the fall out west (or really anywhere) just can't match up to the sublime beauty of October on the east coast...even though I'd like to give western life a shot, I don't know if I can stay away from "real" fall forever.

And sitting down to take in nature is the best part...there's many upsides to biking rather than backpacking but the speed of movement means you don't get as much chance to take in the scenery. You got to make sure to stop and sit down and admire how neat nature is!

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:44 AM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »

Glenwood Canyon Colorado, Bike Path Overnighter.
Monday and Tuesday's weekend trek.
It's about a 2 hour drive West, over the continental divide, from my house to Dotsero, CO
the entrance to Glenwood Canyon.
I did this trail as an out and back with a hang in there some where along the way.
Riding from Dotsero to Glenwood Springs then back to the car the following morning.

A highlight which I did not get any pictures of was at the end of this trail, Glenwood Springs CO  
has one of the largest outdoor Hot Springs Pool in the state.
An hour soak took all the pain away and I was ready to go find
two trees for the night.

Addtional info on this Rails to Trails path

http://www.traillink.com/trail/glenwood-canyon-bike-and-pedestrian-path.aspx

This is the Dotsero TH parking lot.

Filtered water for the trip about 3 qts. It's 7am and 46F. The high for the day got to 65F.

Didn't take long for this beautiful canyon to blow my mind and I had the place to myself.

Coffee Break

Time to start looking for 2 trees my legs are tired and I am ready to eat.

This will have to do, can you spot the hammock and quilt?

The view from the hammock

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:26:25 PM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 01:15:35 PM
Eastman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »

Great looking trip, CCB!  Thanks for posting.

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 02:20:03 PM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »

Great looking trip, CCB!  Thanks for posting.
Glad you like the pictures. Hopefully they took your mind off work for a few minutes.
I was looking at my camera's self timer, darn it, the longest time is only 10 seconds.
There is no way I can get those cool actions shoots like you guys are posting.
I need to find away around my 10 second limit...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:23:54 PM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 02:25:04 PM
Eastman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

I need to find away around my 10 second limit...

Learn to run faster.   Wink

Have a look and see if your camera allows for a "custom timer" option.  Mine does and it allows me to choose the time and number of shots.  I usually set it to 30 seconds and take ten shots and then choose the best one.  Your preset options may only max out at ten seconds.

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 03:34:48 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »

finally did, with my wife no less!

Trip report is under trip reports ;-)

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:56 AM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »

CCB those mountain sheep pictures are incredible...

Thank you jbphilly, hunting Big Horn Sheep with a big lens (500mm) is one of my favorite things to do.
I've been lucky enough to catch them in rut, with spring babies, just the big boys, just the ladies,
it just depends on the time of year.

Here's one I call boys night out, haha Probably won't make the Nat Geo cover...

What hammock kit are you using? Pad or UQ?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:13:07 AM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 07:05:32 AM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »

I have a Grand Trunk UL Skeeter Beeter...also a GT UL, but for camping I basically always take the one with the bug net. For under insulation I'm still just using a CCF pad, but an underquilt is high on my list of gear to buy. The pad always slides out from under me on cold nights...not a great way to be woken up.

I did upgrade the suspension to whoopie slings, which is the way to go IMO, and I have a 9-oz Wilderness Logics tarp which I didn't bring on this trip.

What's your setup?

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:54 AM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »

I have a Grand Trunk UL Skeeter Beeter...also a GT UL, but for camping I basically always take the one with the bug net. For under insulation I'm still just using a CCF pad, but an underquilt is high on my list of gear to buy. The pad always slides out from under me on cold nights...not a great way to be woken up.

I did upgrade the suspension to whoopie slings, which is the way to go IMO, and I have a 9-oz Wilderness Logics tarp which I didn't bring on this trip.

What's your setup?

Grand Trunk UL Skeeter Beeter...also a GT UL are excellent hammocks. I use whoopies as well.

My goto setup is:
Hammock Gear, 3/4 length under quilt summer weight overstuffed 2 oz
REI sitpad for feet
WildernessLogic, snipe hammock
WildernessLogic 20F degree top quilt
2QZQ UQProtector
OES, Delux syl-nylon tarp

Are you a member of hammockforums.net ? My handle is OutandBack over there.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:36:30 AM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:17 PM
syb

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »

All these pics are making me jealous!  I can't get my new bike soon enough!

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02:07 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »

Be sure to post a 'personal set-ups' about it when it does arrive!

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 10:01:44 PM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »

All these pics are making me jealous!  I can't get my new bike soon enough!

Hi Jeff,
Small world, I saw the pict you posted of the new bike in the HF forum.
That thing is going to be fast. Your going to have to find longer ways home
just so you can peddle a little longer.
aka OutandBack

Topic Name: Did you get out and bikepack lately? with weekly updates Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 04:52:20 AM
syb

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 04:52:20 AM »

Hi Jeff,
Small world, I saw the pict you posted of the new bike in the HF forum.
That thing is going to be fast. Your going to have to find longer ways home
just so you can peddle a little longer.
aka OutandBack
Hey Bob!  I would notice your outstanding pics anywhere. 
Yes, the bike might be fast but it's the engine that keeps slowing it down Cheesy
I've already got plans for a frame bag and seat pack for the new ride.  I plotted out two paths I can take on my way home to do some practice setups.  It might make my commute home a little longer but all the better.  I've got a good chunk of $$ paid toward it and my LBS is holding it on layaway for me.  Pics when I get the bike. I promise.
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: