Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: VT Bikepacker on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »

thumbsup

You: moving at a good clip northbound on VT 100 near Stockbridge(?) definitely south of Brandon Gap) - eVent bag on the bars. Suspension fork. Frame bag and maybe a revelate or cDW rear bag.

Me: in car southbound rescuing a 400k brevet rider in Ludlow after he bailed on the ride and overnighted in a motel, but couldn't ride it in Sunday morning.

Where did you ride? Route? Pics?

Groundshine was that you?

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:47:45 PM
Groundshine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »

No!  It wasn't me... who else is there?  Wil?  George La.?

Time for a Vermont roll call!  Vermont Bikepackers speak up!

I got the 500 mile Massachusetts  to Quebec - Vermont Bikepacking route all mapped...

Looking at September 7-10 as the inchoate first ride.

Looking for riders, racers, constructive criticism, suggestions, ideas - all welcome.

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:24:14 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »

interested, keep us posted. I can help on the  Mass section. Harry

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:55:54 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

Wasn't me or Wil. Curious. They were moving along. By the time I rescued my 400k rider he was nowhere to be found.

Very interested in Ma to Quebec. Keep me posted.

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:26 AM
JTVT29

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »

That would've been me.  Sunday 7/1 I presume?  Rode from my place on Lake Dunmore - Silver Lake - over Bloodroot Mountain (Chittenden) - into Pittsfield for an overnight and a spin around the Green Mtn. Trails.  The hike a bike over the mountain was so miserable on Saturday with 4' high grass and mud that I opted to take the road home. 

Other than the hike a bike it was a great ride. Took some great pics; just haven't had a chance to download them yet.

Did a similar route (minus the road) with George L. and Marc S. a few weeks ago as a shakedown ride for our upcoming CTR attempts.

I'm also super interested in the MA - Quebec route/event and would love more details.  Please post up or feel free to email me - jaytvt29 at gmail dot com

Cheers,
Jay

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:46:19 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »

Yes, 7/1.
About noonish.

I came over Brandon Gap by car. Was hoping to see you later on, but didn't see the bike anywhere (gas station, food, etc.)

I've mapped out similar from home (Burlington) - ride down, camp @ silver lake, then either up and over near brandon gap, or down FS roads through goshen and further south.

Would love route options for that area. Looking at Late August / September for an overnighter.

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10:22 PM
JTVT29

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »

Hey bmike, sorry I missed you that day; would've been fun to chat.  I just plugged along on 100 to 107 to 73 (Brandon Gap) and home on 53 in Forestdale.

For route details, check in with George L.  He should have a gps track of the ride we did a few weeks ago, which is really the best way to go.  There's some crazy steep hike a bike over Bloodroot Mountain but it's manageable.  Unfortunately I don't have any tracks I can send you.  I had my gps in my jersey pocket for that ride and arrived at camp that night to find the screen cracked and the unit was toast.

Feel free to hit me up when you've got a date too.  Late August / September I may be able to give you a tour.

Happy trails.

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:57 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:57 PM »

Cool.
I'm at a total loss for fitness this year. Haven't even ridden some of the randonneuring events that I organize - so if I make it down it will definitely be in tour and explore mode.

How are things up high near Brandon Gap / Silver Lake post Irene?
There is some dirt road that I want to ride south of 73 up high. Looks like options for trail in there too.

Is George L on here? LapsNE?

Mike

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:53 PM
JTVT29

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »

Ha, I have a feeling that when/if I get through the CTR I'm not going to have much interest in many long, hard efforts this fall either so a tour pace would be fine.

All is well in this area and things are pretty much back to normal after Irene.  What road(s) are you looking at off of 73?  I could likely give you the 411 on most of them.  South Hill Rd. is the key component of the Chittenden/Pittsfield route and it links nicely with the trails around Silver Lake.

And yes, George is LapsNE.

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 03:47:02 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »

Good luck on CTR. Impressive.

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:56 AM
Laps

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »

Groundshine, is the Mass-Quebec ride on roads or does it include trails?  Sounds like fun, I hope I can fit it in with school!

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:24:31 AM
Groundshine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:24:31 AM »

THe design of this route is based on getting across the state on dirt - staying away from cars as much as possible and connecting as much single track as possible.  This is the intial phase, hoping that one day we can connect all the VMBA club single track by dirt roads and trails.  I used the TNGA as a model as well as a bit of the Great Divide Route.  Anyone who has done either will see the signature of Dave Muse or Mike McCoy I hope.

This route starts on the Mass border on Lone Pine Rd - rides up around Hariman Reservoir then next 30 miles is all GMNF roads.  Once at Bromley there are new legal trails to the northern end of the southern section of the GMNF.  I rode on half of them and it is a beautiful place.  The route then crosses to the northern section of the GMNF via class 4 dirt roads and legal trails through Hortonville, Plymouth 5 Corners, Notown and ends up above the green Mt Trail system in Pittsfield.  THis brings you to Aimee Farm where you cross VT100 and climb the historic first legal Fed Mtn Bike trail in Vermont - the Contest Trail.  in Rochester, climb Brandon Gap to Forestdale.  Your choice of Leicester Hollow or the new Mososalmoo trail ..but I am thinking go with the later.  More new trails in the Moosalamoo / Romance Mt / Widows Clearing come out on Middlebury Gap.  Pick up Natural Turnpike all the way to Lincoln Gap.  THis brings you to Mad River single track 180 miles - halfway point at Stark Mt Bike shop. - Cobb Hill - Perry hill single track (Cotton brook trail waiting to be built) Stowe single track  Mud City Cady's Falls.  rail trail to Hardwick.  Class 4 roads to Lyndonville - E Burke - Kingdom trails (need a trail pass) then some serious Northeast Kingdom logging rds - very remote.  cross into Quebec in Norton Vermont and then loop back to Newport on the Tomiphobia Trail.

Suggestions? Comments?  Who wants to go for a ride?

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:25 PM
JTVT29

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »

WOW Groundshine!  That sounds truly awesome!!!  What are your thoughts for it?  Are you planning to put some sort of "ride/race" together this fall?  Depending on timing, I'd likely be in.  Unfortunately my CTR plans went to sh!# last week after a year of planning.  I've transferred my plane tickets to do the Coconino 250 in early October but other than that???

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:27:47 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »

I am seriously considering going. How far per day do you think you'll ride? I know a lot of the area described. I just don't ride race pace. I am a bike tourist and like to smell the flowers. Keep us all posted. Thanks, Harry

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:36 PM
Laps

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »

Groundshine,

When do you want to ride??  I will be back in late August.  Is there a gpx file?  Sounds like a lot of fun. 

Topic Name: VT Bikepacker Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 06:02:36 AM
Groundshine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »

This route has yet to be biked in one shot so the first rides will be shakedown rides.  I invite all of you to give it a go.  THere are some issues that go with mountain biking in Vermont: ie, there are many trails that are ok to ride, but not ok to talk about.  I am hestitant to throw out a gpx of trails that local maintainers purposely do not make public (ie Stowe and MRV and even Perry Hill has no public map) Nor have I received permission to run this through the Kingdom Trail system. (but have a green light on using the Circumburke trail) There are also a couple of holes in this route that I am confident will be patched when VMBA adopts this idea.  I am not sure who has taken Patrick Kell's place but it seems people either "get" this sport or they don't.  So far I haven't found anyone at VMBA to glam onto the idea.  The other option is to come up with $200 and start a VMBA bikepacking chapter.  Ultimately that'll be the best move... might help us get through the pay-to-ride areas as well.  We need VMBA to patch a critical hole in the GMNF that follows a VAST trail (read- someone drives a bulldozer down it once a year for trail maintenance) but is closed to mt bikes unless posted otherwise.  The other section we need VMBAs help with is Cottton Brook - which I know has a design in place for a bike trail to Little River. Right now it is 100% rideable but also 100% illegal. Fortunately the road detour will work.  I have no idea what is taking the Lamoille Valley rail trail so long to open up - but I believe it will happen.  Some of that is now rideable - I am leaving it in for now - just have to pop out on rt 15 in a few places.  There are two sections in the NE Kingdom which fall under ok to ride but not ok to talk about.  Both are private land but used by the public.  One is absolutely EPIC - makes Richmond Peak on tour divide look like a walk in the park... NEk is so remote.  (this is the section that makes the whole route run south to north)  Tough to route around Conte Nat. Wildlife reserve and timber lands off limits to bikes but there really should be enough room for everyone up there.  Also not sure of what people think of going through Canada - requires one to lug their passport the entire ride!

I have the entire gpx route but I think I need to edit out the above mentioned sections.. probably no more than 5%.  I will post it up here and see what you think. The single track and private gpx I will have to come up with a plan until permission is in place. (but hard to get permission when the Route is just an idea.)  PM me and tell me who you are and I can probably send it to you.

There are a few sections I have not biked.  I have not done Harriman or the 30 miles of southern GMNF road.  There are a few options in this section anyone who knows them should chime in.  I have not done the LV rail trail - not sure if I want to.. and there is one road in Walden and another in Wheelock I have not ground truthed - but still confident.  I have done only a small portion of the NEK section north of Kingdom Trails - it is just too epic! 

I am looking at last week of August to do some one and two day rides then September 6 - 10 (depending on weather) to ride the who thing.  I am not sure if this is an 80 mile/day route or a 120/ mile a day route.  Maybe even 60/ day!  I rode from Mad River Valley to Morrisville and it took 8 hours!  May have a few more dates open in September ... but you know how trails get in Vermont when leaves are on the ground.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: