Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:57 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »

A few people in the Introductions thread have mentioned wanting to ride this whole trail sometime, so I thought I would start a thread here where we could try to get something put together. 

My thoughts/questions so far:
It's a long ride, and the last third is a bushwhacking, fence crossing, hay bale climbing adventure.
How long will it take? 
Out and back, or one way with shuttle vehicles?
I like to go low-budget, so I'd rather camp than stay in a hotel of some sort.
Summer = hotter = less gear but still = hotter.

I'm checking with my social coordinator to see what weekends I am not available over the summer.

Since I am new around here, here's a little about me.
I'm relatively new to biking, but I rode a ton as a kid, so I'm comfortable on a bike. 
I can change a flat and adjust derailers and brakes and all that stuff.
I have not been on a bikepacking trip before, but I have backpacked quite a bit and can handle myself around camp.
I haven't ridden a century or anything like that, but I have done long distances before, like hiking 27 tough miles in a 14 hour day, and rollerblading 41 miles at once.  I might not be fast, but I am stubborn.
I have friends in Dallas that I can spend the night with.
I find myself pleasant and easy to get along with. Smiley

Who else is up for it?

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:05 PM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »

Hi Bill, having ridden this trail before I'm definitely in!  Here are my thoughts on your questions:

How long? The Farmersville trail head to Caddo Grasslands campground near Ladonia should take about 4-5 hours if the conditions aren't better (meaning the chili is still there). If they compacted it that might shave an hour off.

Out and back or shuttle?  I'd like to do an out and back personally as I'm trying to prepare for the Coconino loop in October.

Camp or hotel?  Camping for sure... cheap is good Wink

Availability for me would have to be over a weekend, throw up some potential times and I'll check with my social coordinator as well.  Let's do this!!! 

Kip Young

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:57 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:57 AM »

Just thinking out loud while we wait for others to show up and weigh in...

I'd like out and back too.  Have you been all the way through to Paris? 

Given how far from home it is for me, just out to Ladonia and back doesn't really pump up my tires, not with the epicness of going all the way to Paris (or at least trying) in reach.

If time is a restriction, I'd rather shuttle the full distance than do a Ladonia out and back.

My times would also be over a weekend/three day weekend.  And I'm glad that you are up for cheap.  Smiley

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:03 AM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »

I haven't made it all the way to Paris. Only went to Ladonia area which was a total of 27ish or so miles. I'd be open for going all the way if we left early on a Saturday AM.  Since it is 56 miles I would think shuttling might be in the cards rather than out/back the 56 miles two days in a row.  At some point I want to do that but don't think my body is ready just yet...  If you drive up we could drop a car in Paris, head back to Farmersville and go for it.  I've got enough room in my CR-V for 3 bikes and 3 people.  wisaunders?!?!?!?!

Kip Young

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:03 AM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »

That could be fun.  What weekends work for you guys?

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:30 AM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »

I'm available as folows:
June 29/30
July 6/7
July 13/14

Also, we need to find some camping options in Paris. Looks like the nearest place is just north at Lake Crook. Would likely turn trip into a 60+ mile adventure. Of course we could just do the 27 miles to caddo and make camp and then go to Paris on day two and drive home that afternoon/evening instead of camping in Paris.  That could be pretty cool...

Kip Young

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:56 AM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »

I can't do the weekend of June 29/30, but so far July 6/7 & July 13/14 look open.  Are you thinking ride Friday and Saturday?  I'll have to talk to the wife about it this weekend, but one of those hot ass weekends in July should work for me. 

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 11:24:05 AM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »

I was thinking more of a Sat/Sun trip so as to avoid taking off precious PTO days. Hot ass weekend is right...

Kip Young

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:26 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »

Another note from the guy that I thought had made it all the way through.
Just another tip you will have to do the last 9 miles on road because it gets so thick you cant get thru, you'll see and remember the hay bails and fences start once you pass pecan gap prolly about 15 fences so pack smart cause that $%^#$ bike gets heavy

I can do
June 30
July 15
I hope it's not hot in Farmersville in July.  Bwa ha ha haaaa!  Good news - no risk of hypothermia.  Bad news - you might burst into flames.

I would not mind stealth camping somewhere on the trail closer to Paris.

I can do 3 bikes and 3 ppl with my Element too, if we one way it.

OR, we could do the trail up to Paris, and then take easier backroads back most of the way to Farmersville and then jump on the trail somewhere.  I am not a fan of riding the road, but with some company, and way out in the boonies, I might not hate it too much.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:52:45 PM by Bill in Houston » Logged

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:21:40 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »

Suggestion on where to spend the night:
ya if i were to do it again i would definatley stop at the sulfur creek bridge and just camp there its a bit past pecan gap. Its about 60 ft off the ground great views and this is where we took a dip and cleaned up

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:13 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »

Okay, so are we good to go for the weekend of the 14th and 15th?  Shuttle the bikes first thing on Saturday morning, ride partway(~40 mi), and spend the night Saturday night.  Then finish Sunday (~20 mi), and shuttle more as needed?

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:17:42 AM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »

Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it.  It's just going to be too damn hot.  Would love to do this with you guys one weekend in September or October.

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:49 AM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

Think I'm in the same boat...  I did the greenbelt trail to ray roberts 2 weeks ago and could barely sleep for the heat.  That was before we hit 100+...  Late September would be a good time.

Kip Young

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:37 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »

You are probably right.  I'm not sure that I am smart enough to accept that answer, but I think you are right.  Now that it is over 100 here, it is certainly taking the wind out of my sails.

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:22 AM
mr clean

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »

Doesn't this run from farmersville to new Boston? Of what you have ridden of it, is it cx friendly? There is a small clan of us in the d/fw looking to explore this.

"Did you see the size of that chicken"

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:13 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »

most riders have said that fat tires and front sus are musts.  that said, i think wisaunders took a bunch of people out there on hybrids and they survived.  i am not sure what the definition of cx or hybrid includes or doesn't include.  on the upside, when its time to hop fences, the cx will be lighter to lift over.  plus if you race, you probably have a certain degree of studly-tude, which will help you get a cross bike thru the deep gravel.

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:12 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »

a guy planning a trip!
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/833290-Chaparral-Trail-NorthEast-Texas-Trail-RIDE-OPPORTUNITY!!!!-AUGUST-10TH!?p=14498259#post14498259

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 04:17:10 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 04:17:10 PM »

Resurrecting this thread now that the weather is cooler.

I'm thinking about coming up to ride the Chaparral Trail sometime in October.  Prolly drive up to Ladonia on Friday morning, and ride from Ladonia toward Celeste and then back on Friday, spending the night in Ladonia.  On Saturday, I'll ride toward Paris, and see what happens.  Hoping to make it all the way to Paris and back.

Anyway, if that sounds like anything you guys would be up for, let me know.  I have not asked the wife which weekends are okay yet.  Just wanted to see if you'd have any interest.

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:08 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

I rode with the guy from the bikeforums post.  I made from Farmersville to Celeste, realized I had lost my bag with all my water, went back to get it, and exploded my rear derailer in a freak encounter with a rock smaller than your fist.  22 miles was my total.  Got a SAG up to the meeting, with was pretty cool.  I spent the night in the hunter camp near Ladonia.  Lots of coyotes and cows.

Topic Name: Chaparral Trail - TX - Farmersville to Paris or bust! Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:47:24 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »

Planning to do this on the 5th-6th-7th of Oct.  Let me know if you are interested.
Resurrecting this thread now that the weather is cooler.

I'm thinking about coming up to ride the Chaparral Trail sometime in October.  Prolly drive up to Ladonia on Friday morning, and ride from Ladonia toward Celeste and then back on Friday, spending the night in Ladonia.  On Saturday, I'll ride toward Paris, and see what happens.  Hoping to make it all the way to Paris and back.

Anyway, if that sounds like anything you guys would be up for, let me know.  I have not asked the wife which weekends are okay yet.  Just wanted to see if you'd have any interest.
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: