Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 on: June 11, 2009, 07:50:43 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:50:43 AM »

It's going to be a big year on the divide.  40+ entrants in Tour Divide, plus some ITTers and an unknown number of GDR folks.

The TD tracking system (aka Leaderboard) went online yesterday:

http://tourdivide.org/leaderboard

You can see the SPOTs start to gather up in Banff.

This year's field promises to be one of the strongest yet.  Strong enough that it brought Matt Lee out of 'retirement' for another year of suffering.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:13:04 PM
naked indian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »

Did the Tandem team start?

ChEcK OuT ThE NaKeD InDIaN ChrOniClEs: http://singletracksamurai.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:38 PM
tetontodd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »

Yea, Jay and Tracey Petervary are ready to rock! I saw the bike the other day before they left for Banff. Tight setup! I can't wait to follow this Tour! Strong line-up this year for sure...Who will be able to ride the most night miles?

I am going to gear up and try and meet some of the riders up at Flagg Ranch next week June 20th, camp and ride to Pinedale where I have a truck stashed...I will try and get a bunch of shots and upload them when I get back from my ride that Sunday June 21st the first day of summer. icon_biggrin I think my timing could be right???

My name is Todd Johnson from Jackson Hole, this is really my first time chiming in! Nice to meet everyone!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:01:43 AM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:01:43 AM »

SPOT dots are moving south.  Only a few thousand miles to go...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:15 PM
goldenboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »

That is an incredible tracking board and web page.  thumbsup If I had the time or inclination I could totally see geeking out on the details. 

enthusiasm>ability

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:18:32 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »

Nice job Scott,
Like Goldenboy said - That is pretty amazing.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:23:06 AM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:23:06 AM »

It's 2:30 AM and Matt is still pedaling through the Flathead Valley.  Unknown terrain + the most dense deadly animal country of the entire route?  #nuts
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:15:08 AM by Kevin Montgomery » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:54:45 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »

Looks like most of the pack is knocking out the new Flathead reroute.  This is a new 105 mile piece of the route that is being debuted during this year's Tour Divide.  It even includes a bit of singletrack, which is rare indeed for the divide route.

More info on the reroute go here: http://tourdivide.org/dividenews/td_course_change_09

I traced and added the Flathead reroute to the tracker map this morning.  Sorry about that -- it looked like people were going off course for a while there, but I figured I had a bit of time before the front runners would hit it.  So much for that!  They are flying!

No one has yet hit the supposed singletrack yet.  That comes very near the border.  It will be interesting to see if it slows them down any.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:17:08 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:17:08 AM »

Matt Lee is through the singletrack, and still has a lead on John Nobile, Kurt Refsnider and Chris Plesko.  Still pretty tight though.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:19:03 AM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »

Looks like Matt will be hitting the singletrack within an hour.

Scott--He isn't through it yet.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:06:33 PM
700see.

done.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:06:33 PM »

I hope Brunello figures out his navigational error quick as at 1:15p he's heading straight to the old Trail Creek/Flathead abandoned border crossing...essentially the same road you end up on to skirt West Glacier after Eureka. Doh!

builder :: mc ti fab. // zine :: 700see.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:51:25 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »

Alright, now Matt is done with the singletrack!  Sorry about that.

Brunello does appear to be off course.  His next point will tell all.

I put together a replay of the first ~24 hours of the race.  It has almost every racer in it, so it's a little chaotic!  Also note that it looks like people are cutting the course -- they aren't, it's just that they did not get many points and TopoFusion interpolates their position on a straight line.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:54:58 PM by ScottM » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 02:44:15 PM
700see.

done.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »

Brunello does appear to be off course.  His next point will tell all.

He didn't cross into the US (there are a few Border Patrol agents in the area of the old Flathead crossing, despite it being closed)...but he's going west on a road that is going to peter out before crossing a pretty major ridge and have him wondering what the hell is up. He's going to burn a ton of time, but hopefully he'll backtrack when he gets to a junction/switchback on that road. I haven't ridden on that side of the border, but it's common in that area to be on a road on someone's private land without knowing it when you're turned around.

Looks like Dave Nice went through similar navigation stuff in NM a day or two ago. It's a bummer when it happens.

But, wish I was out there!

builder :: mc ti fab. // zine :: 700see.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 04:02:16 PM
richNYC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »

ScottM,

Is there a way to get my hands on a cue sheet of the new re-route??? Would love to try it out this summer when up there;) Thanks, Rich

Looks like most of the pack is knocking out the new Flathead reroute.  This is a new 105 mile piece of the route that is being debuted during this year's Tour Divide.  It even includes a bit of singletrack, which is rare indeed for the divide route.

More info on the reroute go here: http://tourdivide.org/dividenews/td_course_change_09

I traced and added the Flathead reroute to the tracker map this morning.  Sorry about that -- it looked like people were going off course for a while there, but I figured I had a bit of time before the front runners would hit it.  So much for that!  They are flying!

No one has yet hit the supposed singletrack yet.  That comes very near the border.  It will be interesting to see if it slows them down any.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: “WOW!!! What a ride!” -- Dean Karnazes

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:51 PM
richNYC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »

Looks like Brunello retraced his steps back but passed the turn onto the Cabin FSR again and kept going backwards on the Flathead FSR. I hope he will bump into someone soon and find the right turn... Must be tough... BTW, according to SPOT tracker he approx. lost over 5 hours with the detour. I feel sorry for him but shit like that easily happens on the Great Divide:(

I hope Brunello figures out his navigational error quick as at 1:15p he's heading straight to the old Trail Creek/Flathead abandoned border crossing...essentially the same road you end up on to skirt West Glacier after Eureka. Doh!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: “WOW!!! What a ride!” -- Dean Karnazes

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 06:28:50 PM
walkre73

7/4/08 Tour Divide sunrise outside Salida , Colora

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

It looks like matt hit the afterburners on the border to the whitefish divide section . I guess we all will find out how much snow there will be on the route tomorrow .

Only those that attempt the absurd may achieve the impossible !

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 07:18:07 PM
GBUTLER

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »

Hi,

I just joined the site and can answer many of your questions as my wife, Cricket Butler, started the race and I have been in Montana and Alberta / BC over the last week.  I scouted out the proposed route and provided a more detailed cue sheet to Matt Lee.  Needless to say, it is VERY REMOTE country, and the Flathead Forest Service Road is rough going.  It took me an hour in a Land Rover to go the first 13 miles down that road!  I can see by spot Brunello is definetly of course, but the cue sheet that I provided was very clear that if he went up Couldrey Forest Service Road (which has a prominent sign and is the road that roughly parallels the border) that you have went to far and had missed Cabin Pass FSR!  Nevertheless, hopefully most of the racers will make it thru that section tonight, as it is definetly Grizzly territory.  I am following things and it looks like my wife may be out in Eureka tonight, as the last 10 miles down to Rt. 93 and the border are a fast downhill.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 07:36:21 PM
walkre73

7/4/08 Tour Divide sunrise outside Salida , Colora

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

Hello fellow blue dot follower , I have not been on this new route but it looks like there is quite a few racers bunched up in this area and more than likely they will ride together in this part of the route . If you are going to follow the route for a while I will be over by the Lima,MT crossing next Wednesday . Hope to meet you there .

Only those that attempt the absurd may achieve the impossible !

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 08:48:50 PM
MrsPivvay

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »

Nice job Scott,
Like Goldenboy said - That is pretty amazing.

Ditto the thanks on the awesome leaderboard!  Thanks to everyone who worked on it!

Talked to Chris a few hours ago when he called from Eureka.  Sounded like there was a good little group of them there (Joe, Kurt, JP/TP) and they sounded like they were having a great time.  Lots of laughs!

I got some pictures from the start area that I will post up when I get the camera unpacked from the car tomorrow. 

-Marni (Chris Plesko's wife)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2009 Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 10:40:10 PM
GBUTLER

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »

Hello fellow blue dot follower , I have not been on this new route but it looks like there is quite a few racers bunched up in this area and more than likely they will ride together in this part of the route . If you are going to follow the route for a while I will be over by the Lima,MT crossing next Wednesday . Hope to meet you there .

Unfortunately I will not be in Lima, I am flying back to North Carolina tomorrow.  I am currently in Whitefish, so maybe I will see some people coming into town before I head to the airport.  By the way, anyone interested in following my wife can find out more information about her previous experiences and why she is doing this ride at www.teamup4type1.com
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: