Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:50 PM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »

This is my 8.5 oz COMPLETE camp kitchen.  Many super light camp cook sets you see posted leave quite a bit out to achieve their advertised weights.  I mean, I could pare this down to just the stove burner, a hardware cloth pot stand and a oven liner tray windscreen, but that's by itself isn't' very useful.  I mean, you need a spoon to eat with- something cook in (pot cozy or something) and something to clean up with after dinner, right?  I don't think I've made too many sacrifices here while still achieving a satisfactory weight and compactness.  This setup fits perfectly in my frame bag.  The whole kit is as diy as I could make it, from re-purposing things around the house.

So here is the complete kit along with the meal I'm about to cook-

The fuel bottle and measuring cup are your standard Robitussin variety.  4oz bottle, with a safety conscious child proof lid.  I also have an 8oz bottle (Vicks something or other, but NyQuil would do).

In the stuff sack is my pot-

The blaze orange stuff sack is left over from my frame bag project, uses a zpacks 1.25mm zline draw string with a zpacks tiny cord lock.  The pot is your standard issue Heineken cam, wrapped in fiberglass cord to insulate it so I don't burn my fingers.  It also serves a double purpose as 10' of spare cord should the need arise.  Now that Heineken quit making keg cans, I guess the Fosters is the last option for super light cans.  the lid is a top of a bumblebee tuna can, cut around the sides.  It's a perfect fit.  The lid handle is made form 1/16" titanium wire, from McMaster Carr.

Inside the pot is my insulated hot drink cup (Campbell's cup of soup), windscreen, pot stand rods (3/32 ss welding filler rod), pot bale handle thing, piece of foil to insulate the stove from the ground, and a spare 1qt ziploc baggie, just in case.

Here's the windscreen and it's closure setup.  The two halve interlock with those tabs take from Captain Paranoia's Caldera Clone templates. (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/22357/URN/5/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/1/sp/)

This is the slot and tab detail-

and on the inside-

The pot and assembled windscreen / pot stand-

The hot drink cup holds my alky burner-

A light load towel and my lighter

The setup ready to go-

I usually use 4tsp of fuel per boil (2/3oz or 20ml)

boiling away-

By far the best tasting almost instant oatmeal ever-

I say almost instant because the instructions require you to add the water before microwaving, and then you cook it by nuking it for a couple of minutes.  But if you reduce your water by a tiny bit (about by as much as would boil off in the cookign process) it turns out great in a freezer bag cozy.  It kicks butt all over your standard Quaker packets in both flavor and texture.  I haven't compared, but it's probably more nutritious as well.

The only thing missing would be some lipton tea bags or some starbucks via.  2c of hot water can rehydrate two packs of oatmeal and have just enough for a cup of tea or coffee left over.

What's not shown is my spoon.  The one that I was using broke, but any plastic spoon will do the job.  In honesty, I would probably opt to take my Sea to Summit aluminum spoon.  It's got a nice long handle a large "bowl", if you will, for fast efficient eating.

What I'm goign to upgrade in the near future is the stainless rods for the pot stand are going to go bye bye in favor of an 1/8" ti version, also from McMaster.  I think I'm going to by at least 6' of material and chop it up into tent stakes, or you could use any shepherds hook stake, I guess....  I'm just not a big fan of the available Ti hook stakes.

BM

Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:15 PM
Curtis C

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »

Nice setup you have. Can you share more info on your stove?

C

Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:12:13 PM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »

Nice setup you have. Can you share more info on your stove?

C

I posted the details over on backpacking light, since I got the inspiration from one of the members on that message board.  Here is the thread-
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57486

BM

Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:16:04 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »

I'm glad you posted more pictures and details of your kit!  You replied with just the one picture on the thread I started on backpackinglight.com and I was eager to see more about it!  Gotta love these setups.  I shaved over a pound, not to mention a bunch of space, off of my cook kit compared to the setup that I used for my last trip.  Simple and effective! thumbsup

Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:39:54 PM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »

I'm glad you posted more pictures and details of your kit!  You replied with just the one picture on the thread I started on backpackinglight.com and I was eager to see more about it!  Gotta love these setups.  I shaved over a pound, not to mention a bunch of space, off of my cook kit compared to the setup that I used for my last trip.  Simple and effective! thumbsup

I kept putting off posting the whole kit because it's always a work in progress, and I want it to be "complete" before I went to the trouble of writing a long post detailing the whole thing.  I finally reached a point where I felt it was "good enough".  The freezer bag cozy is going to be changed.  It's just a prototype.  I may end up buying one from the freezer bag cooking people (don't know the website off the top of my head).  Might not be wroth the trouble of farting around revision after revision.  I would like something with a flat bottom and it'd be nice if it was wide and low enough to eat from, but I dunno.  Needs to fold flat for pack-ability though.

I love how light it is compared to commercial setups.  A friend of mine has an msr reactor.  It's sweet, but man, is it heavy.  I imagine if I were melting a lot of snow it'd be a good option, though.

I would consider replacing the cook pot with a comparably sized ti pot (I've seen a couple that look promising) for a slight weight penalty, but then I could go to a Caldera Clone setup and gain some durability and efficiency.  I'd like to keep the kit under 4" diameter to fit in my frame bag.  The beer can pot is about 3.6" diameter.

Thanks-
BM

Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:25:27 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

I know what you mean regarding the constant evolution of something...  That's a good thing though!
I haven't looked much into freezer bag cooking, although it's on my list of stuff to do.  I plan on getting a dehydrator in the next few weeks and putting it through it's paces. 
The Backcountry.com Titanium pots were(might still be) on sale for $21 shipped.  They're a great option for something small(exactly 4" in diameter) and simple at only 3.5oz they wouldn't add much weight.  I'm envious of your burn times, although your boil times are about twice as long, the length you're getting off of minimal fuel is awesome.   

Topic Name: 8.5oz Bikepacking Kitchen Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:26 PM
Funrover

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

Wow, that is impressive!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: