Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:35 AM
the_river

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »

I know this may be just a -little- in advance, but is there any one else planning on riding the divide in 2013? Thought it might be good to have a place to discuss planning/training/crap! I've just started writing a blog of my exploits (which are pretty benign, so far....) if anyone was interested: http://folgesvenn.blogspot.com/

See you down the road...

(mods, feel free to delete this if it's inappropriate)

Tour Divide 2013. Lets do this. http://folgesvenn.blogspot.com/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:09:47 PM
FullFat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »

Hey there its not too early im planning a2013 divide ride. I live in NM so the home stretch and finish line are in my back yard (kinda)

One gear, one country, one GOD.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:40:43 PM
the_river

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »

Hey there its not too early im planning a2013 divide ride. I live in NM so the home stretch and finish line are in my back yard (kinda)

How's your preparation going? Good to know I'm not the only person preparing this far ahead!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:52 PM
FullFat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

Prep is good thoughts now are focused on finding the right gear to take and reading a good deal about the ride. Im fliting with the idea of going light and riding my single speed. Not sure yet but the simplicity seems a good thing. Planning plenty of in saddle training and maybe even riding the NM section this summer from chama to the border (single speed for   sure!)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:51 AM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:51 AM »

Think it's never too early starting preparations for TD,
I started thinking about TD in 2009, decided in 2010 to start 2012,
and began the preparation in October 2010.
... time is fleeting :-)

Private Homepage

pain is temporary - glory is forever

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:59:08 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

Bought my frame in 2008 for a 2011 start.  Think you are a bit behind where you should be;-)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:43 AM
the_river

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »

Think it's never too early starting preparations for TD,
I started thinking about TD in 2009, decided in 2010 to start 2012,
and began the preparation in October 2010.
... time is fleeting :-)

I've been thinking about it for a few years, but have only really just decided properly to go for it. What stage are you at in your prep?

Bought my frame in 2008 for a 2011 start.  Think you are a bit behind where you should be;-)

Really? On reflection, I might delay mine for 20 or so years. I might have enough sense by then to know better....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:23 AM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »

I've been thinking about it for a few years, but have only really just decided properly to go for it. What stage are you at in your prep?
physically, I am in good shape, as far as I can judge ... this year nearly 15.000km on bike, 2.500km running and 500km swimming (I used to do triathlon the last years), but that is only a part of a good preparation.
Next goals are fewer but longer rides than overnighters ... and even longer ones. Some years ago, I did a lot of mountaineering in the alps (and a lot of cold bivouacs), but I have to get used to that kind of "living and sleeping" again. I will start with some overnighters in our backyard next days ...

Private Homepage

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:11:29 PM
FullFat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »

Im in for sure. I have made my self make the call. Either I can plan re plan pack and repack train and think for a lifetime OR man up and make myself be what I want to be. 2013 gives me enough time to educate myself on the ins and outs of such a race, and for the kids to be a little older. I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, in fact I am a Baptist preacher, but I will ride the divide, I will race the divide. This is for me to do and for me to finish.

(If you just read my rant thanks I had to put it in writting to help me make it happen I hope you understand.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:50:11 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »

I'm in for '13 as well.  Doing lots of rides to prep for the Dirty Kanza this summer, then doing the TDR in 13.  Actually just picked out my frame and components on Friday (Karate Monkey frame and SRAM everything with Nano-Raptors), and can't wait to pick it up from the bike shop.  What's everyone else riding? 

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:54 PM
FullFat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »

Probably going to be my 2012 kona unit geared or single speed I have not made up my mind fully will also be going nanos tcs have about 300 miles on bike so far and planning a few upgrades for the divide. If my money tree blooms anytime some soon I would love a salsa fargo.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:09 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

Yeah I was debating between the Fargo, Vaya, and Karate Monkey, but I found the KM frame on Craigslist for super cheap, so that sealed the deal, especially bc it gave me that much more to spend on quality components.  Also you said you live near(ish) Antelope Wells.  Think you could help me square away a ride out?  Haha, it's never too early to start planning!

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:24:27 AM
FullFat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »

I live in Los Lunas NM about 20 miles south of albuquerque. I will more than likely have a family or church member retreve me probably room for a few others if you dont mind heading to abq.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:28:56 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »

No, not at all.  Will either fly or Greyhound back home, just need a lift out of AW.  Plus I tip well too, haha, but that would be a huge help, and thanks in advance!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:47:53 PM
the_river

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

physically, I am in good shape, as far as I can judge ... this year nearly 15.000km on bike, 2.500km running and 500km swimming (I used to do triathlon the last years), but that is only a part of a good preparation.
Next goals are fewer but longer rides than overnighters ... and even longer ones. Some years ago, I did a lot of mountaineering in the alps (and a lot of cold bivouacs), but I have to get used to that kind of "living and sleeping" again. I will start with some overnighters in our backyard next days ...

Glad it's all going well, keep us updated with how your overnighters go! Also, that's a very impressive tally, especially the swimming! As someone who can't even swim one length of a pool without getting out of breath (my technique is THAT inefficient!) you definitely have my respect for that!
(If you just read my rant thanks I had to put it in writting to help me make it happen I hope you understand.)

Of course I understand, that is pretty much the reason I made my blog (new post with photos just posted!! Shameless advertising.... http://folgesvenn.blogspot.com/ ) and this thread. It's almost like it's that bit more real now that it's in writing and other people know. It really is comforting to know there are other people, even if they are halfway round the world, that are in the same position working towards the same goal.
I'm in for '13 as well.  Doing lots of rides to prep for the Dirty Kanza this summer, then doing the TDR in 13.  Actually just picked out my frame and components on Friday (Karate Monkey frame and SRAM everything with Nano-Raptors), and can't wait to pick it up from the bike shop.  What's everyone else riding? 

Dammit!! That's another event I now have to add to my to-do list!! No idea about bike yet. I'm currently riding a Mongoose Tyax Elite, but there is no way this would be up to the TD. Looking at somehow scrabbling the money together for a Genesis Fortitude when they're released.
I live in Los Lunas NM about 20 miles south of albuquerque. I will more than likely have a family or church member retreve me probably room for a few others if you dont mind heading to abq.

This could come in incredibly useful, I hadn't even begun to think about the logistics at the end of the race. We are currently planning to head to the west coast once we're done; might as well see some more of the country seeing as we'll have traveled so far, but even if it was just the suggestion of a way to get out of AW I would be forever indebted!

Apologies for the length of this; I need to come online more often...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 05:01:34 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »

Just to make sure of the date, I'm tracking June 14th as the grand depart.  Is that what everyone else is, or no?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 04:31:56 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 04:31:56 AM »

Hello from Germany,

normally I planed to start in 2012 (thinking about since 2008) but I've got my new bike very late this year. I decided for myself - too less time for preparation, testing and too much headwind from my wife. Maybe someone can argue one year is quite enough time for preparation but you have got to know this special kind of backpacking and self supported status of the TD is not very common in Europe up to now. If you go on a multiday trip in the alps or somewhere else you normally carry a bigger backpack. That's it! In the most areas you find a high density of alpine huts or other service facilities. There is no need to carry all the stuff like on the TD. So this is beyond the physical fitness a walk on virgin soil for me. One year more give me the time for adequate training, collecting and testing the gear and finally to cook my wife weak.
Up to now I've got the most of my gear and stuff together and my bike got the final set up (What an expensive business). In June 2012 I'm going to line up at the "Grenzstein-Tropy". An inoffical race very similar to the TD along the former border to East Germany. A small pre test for the more bigger event in 2013 so to say.

Kind regards and have fun in the waiting room

Michael

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 04:48:21 AM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 04:48:21 AM »

For what it is worth, you can't really "train" for this. Just do it.  Even if you can get a few days or a week to ride part of the route, it is worth it.  I strongly recommend at least attempting a portion of the route this year, rather than waiting until 2013.  Without this experience everything you are doing is based on assumptions. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:11 PM
sigma7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »

In June 2012 I'm going to line up at the "Grenzstein-Tropy".

Same for me. See you there.

-- sigma7

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 01:33:39 PM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »

For what it is worth, you can't really "train" for this. Just do it.  Even if you can get a few days or a week to ride part of the route, it is worth it.  I strongly recommend at least attempting a portion of the route this year, rather than waiting until 2013.  Without this experience everything you are doing is based on assumptions. 

Sure, best preparation is to take a large portion of the original route. But for us, living in Europe that is not that easy. So the best in this case is to prepare oneself physically and mentally, do things which are similar to portions of the TD ... prepare for unexpected situations. A good preparation can never give a guarantee to manage it, but it is better than just go with a "I just do it".

Private Homepage

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: