Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 on: May 02, 2009, 06:14:03 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »

Let me give some back-ground....

So Scottie decided despite my warnings to go try the AZT 300 in reverse this weekend.  BangHead Just prior to the AZT 300 Scott was sick for a few weeks.  While still under the weather and poorly trained he decided to race.  Sadly, he ended up dropping out of a very competitive race that he had been looking forward to for months.  Recently he has been getting out for more rides and feeling better.  Last week, on what he called the last cool day before Summer, he decided to take back the TMP Rock 'n Road Challenge record.  He had very bad leg cramps during the TMP and was only feeling good again about mid-week.  Imagine my surprise when he backed out of our weekly Sweetwater ride yesterday because he was leaving at 4 a.m. the next day to do the to do the AZT in reverse.

Here is what he said in his diary just before leaving:       

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/

Here is a url link to his spot: 

http://topofusion.com/tracker-sm.php

I just talked to Scott.  He was taking a break on the gas line.  He said that he has had a bit of cramping and legs feel like the 2nd day of riding.  He said that blood-sucker wash really sucked and that he had to walk most of the way.  He said he might call again when he gets to Oracle ridge.  I can not wait to see how this plays out.       

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:27:51 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »

At least he's riding fun stuff right now....

Scottie he shall forever be, to me.  Wink

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:54:53 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »

I just talked to Scottie he is in Oracle at a hotel.  He was thinking about going up Oracle Ridge, but because he was feeling like going to sleep he decided to get a hotel.  He also thought since he has never gone up Oracle Ridge that it might not be a good idea in the dark.  He plans on leaving early tomorrow morning.  He spent a lot of the conversation raving about some concoction that Mike C gave him.  Although he is tired he seemed to be in very good spirits.   

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:17 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

Scottie he shall forever be, to me.  Wink

Feel free to call me "hottie" Wink

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:46:23 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »

Quote from: hottie
He also thought since he has never gone up Oracle Ridge that it might not be a good idea in the dark.

What part of Oracle Ridge, regardless of direction, is a good idea *anytime* that you're traveling by bike?!

Quote from: hottie
He spent a lot of the conversation raving about some concoction that Mike C gave him.

Shhhh--they do drug tests after these things now....! icon_biggrin

I'm enjoying watching his creepy-slow progress up Oracle Ridge this AM, probably almost as much as he enjoyed watching the 3 of us get tortured along the ridge last year...

MC

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:19:10 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »

What part of Oracle Ridge, regardless of direction, is a good idea *anytime* that you're traveling by bike?!

Shhhh--they do drug tests after these things now....! icon_biggrin

I'm enjoying watching his creepy-slow progress up Oracle Ridge this AM, probably almost as much as he enjoyed watching the 3 of us get tortured along the ridge last year...

MC

Hmmm, I had no idea that you put drugs in that...it just looked petrified.  If he makes it through this you can take the credit Wink

He is going very slowly up the ridge.  I can only imagine what is going through his head. 

Your funny Mike...very nice how you changed my name.

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 12:36:49 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »

Scott just called.

He stayed up most of the night sure he was going to lose his cookies.  When his alarm went off at 4 he decided to eat a giant sandwich  icon_scratch and go back to sleep.  He slept for another 2 hours and did not leave until pretty late in the morning.  As a result, his accent up the ridge was sunny, warm and windless.   Progress was slow as much of the ascent is not very rideable.  I had some good laughs at his expense about how ridiculous it all sounded.  He said that he would decide at Prison Camp if he would continue on or just head back home.  If he continues on, he is a crazy masochist, so I place my bets on him continuing.     

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:27:56 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »

Go Scottie go! It was a pleasure riding and hanging out with him at the "normal" azt 300. OR backwards sounds even worse...

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:11:15 PM
UtahRedRocks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »

Just found this thread.  Thanks for the updates, "hungry gnome".   thumbsup  Harley and I have been fascinated watching Scott's progress the past two days.
Incredible!  Great job, Scottie!

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:46 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »

Scottie's SPOT went wee wee wee, all the way home... again.  Smiley

Funny that I bailed last time for cold, and this time for hot.  Well, that and not starting with a full gas tank.  I went out intending to push hard, but only managed it for a short while.

It was a fantastic ride, though.  Seeing everything backwards meant there was always a twist or surprise around the next corner.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.  In the case of Oracle Ridge, it was almost always bad.   "Oh yeah, I forgot about this section..."

The 'traverse of death' was the 'traverse of life,' though. That thing was over so quickly, and had almost zero uphill hike-a-bike, meaning zero roast-a-bike as I was beginning to call it.  I still don't quite understand how, but I got torched up there on the ridge.  Even at 7000'+ feet it was toasty bike pushing, amazingly with no wind.  But I actually enjoyed the whole thing, in its own way.  I really wanted to see if I could do it, and how hard it would be.

Paula told me the forecast had been upped to 97 for tomorrow (looks like Accuweather is showing higher than other sites), which made it easy to rail down Mt. Lemmon, Prison Camp's singletrack and then into Tucson.  With how I was feeling last night, I don't think I could have pushed through all of the night anyway, which is what would have been required to finish tomorrow.

One thing is for sure: if you like hike-a-bike, go backwards! 

No regrets here, just plenty of good memories.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:43:06 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:43:06 AM »

Funny that I bailed last time for cold, and this time for hot. 

But this time we ain't talkin' weather!!!!

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:59:13 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »

I really wanted to see if I could do it, and how hard it would be.

Yessir, that's what we love about our Scottie.  Chad nailed it (is the twinkie bit true?  I don't doubt it...).  Sounds like a successful trip on all counts.

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:35:56 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »

But this time we ain't talkin' weather!!!!

Right... bailing home to hot-tie.   laughing5

I sure had some fun out there, but it's good to be home.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:29 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »

Oh yeah, thats why we do it, Right? Nice work Mr. Morris, you have some serious guts, my friend, nice try at the reverse. Frankly once I saw your plan to go backwards all I could think of was Oracle Ridge, Yikes. But going down Lemmon must be fun!!! Hope you recover well, GLR???   Peace Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: Scott's Reverse AZT-300 Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22:42 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »

For the record, and in case someone else is foolish enough to try the route backwards, my writeup can be found here:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2009/05/08/flipping-the-beast/

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: