Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: grand loop Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:11 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »

yeah-at 10:00pm he is a long way from Dewey but is almost up the last big one to the pave/drop into GJ and hot food and cold drink soon after--that will lift his spirits!!

Go Jim

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:01 AM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »

:thumbsup:Congratulations Jim! I bet it was a beautiful night up on Yellowjacket in the moonlight.

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 06:55:26 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »

Woohoo!!!

Congrats Jim.  Can't wait to hear about your experiences out there.

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 01:12:56 PM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »

Wow!  That was an awesomely brutal ride.   headbang  I'm soooo totally smoked.  Thanks for all the encouragement!  I need a bit of time to decompress and I'll toss up a blog once I get back home but here are some highlights:

/* the dirty business */

I started from Dewey at 7:05 pm on Thurs, June 9th and finished 1:19 am on Thurs, June 16th - that puts my time at 6 days 6 hrs and 14 mins.  Feel free to double check my math.  I'll asterisk this with the fact that I did ride towards Nucla on the Paradox proper, but when I got to Spradlin Park where the pp issue is, there was a truck parked out by that white tank and quite a few ntp (no trespass) signs about.  I was unable to make contact with Paul K in Nucla about the issue and felt it proper to just ride back up the road from Nucla (the advised detour) to connect back up to trail on Pinto Mesa, since if it were that someone mentioned that there were 'footy prints all over my desert' (sic.) he - Paul - (and we as mtb'rs) could possibly feel the brunt of any repercussions.  I'm all for being loose and free around the edges and such, but...

398 miles

50,193' of ascent

/* end */

- Being totally stoked to get started only to be thwarted by the road to Westwater being flooded out, necessitating a last minute change to a Dewey start.  (A week later, the water was gone.)

- Thinking to myself as I descended Carpenter Ridge - 'Man, I can believe Scott and Chad rode/walked up this thing...'  Only to realize my Spot had fallen off somewhere since the top.  So I ended up blowing at least an hour walking back up and down to retrieve it.

- Almost baking to death on both the Coal Canyon and No Mas Hill sections.  I think they lied on the brochure- No Mas Hill ends at Little Park Road.   angry4  6hrs to do 22 miles?  Insane.

- Walking and dragging my bike through all that snow on the Pool Creek section.  If I would have not scouted that last fall, I would have been screwed with an unavoidable dnf since there was no way to navigate over/through the snow w/o my track.

- Saw five black bears in four encounters, luckily they scurried off quickly.  Lots of elk and deer.  One cat, but it was too quick for me to make out what it was.  Strangely enough, the first bear I saw was just after leaving Hideout.

- Making (and then realizing) the same error as my scouting run after riding up Long Creek instead of the 544.

- Having lightning crash all around me under a full moon as I did the Fish Ford / McGraw Bottom / Yellowjacket sections.  It was eerie, the moon was out in the east and the clouds were pretty stationary in the west.

- Being totally DONE when I wheeled into GJ but feeling like a million bucks after a shower/nap in a motel and a trip to the grocer for some sushi, fried chicken and fresh fruit.

- Super awesome winds helping to cool me down on the hot cloudless Salty Bitter pill sections of the Kokopelli.  The lack of sun really plucked the stinger out of the Yellowjacket as well.

- Realizing that the notion of a 'good idea' and 'grand loop' is quite the dichotomy, a Paradox (pun intended), if you will.  This course will certainly mess and mangle with your mettle.  That said, never say never (again).  Maybe once they get that pp issue figured out and there's no snow up high.

Here's a quick pic sampling (took 268 of 'em out there).

Overlooking Paradox Valley:

Bedrock Store - Closed:

Full Services in Nucla:

Snow on the Pool Creek section:

DH's River:

Good grub courtesy of the Naturita grocer:

Last bits of chicken somewhere on the Kokopelli:

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 01:22:49 PM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »

Dang Jim, no wonder you saw so many bears what with the smoked salmon! Great job!
Dave

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 01:35:42 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »

Look at all that snow still up there!  Bears and Hideout?  Looks like a fantastic adventure.

Good thing for Nucla eh?  What about Naturita?  Your SPOT track went there Wink

Nobody will question your decision re: the private land issue.  You've earned this GL finish solid! 

Super job Jim.

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07:47 PM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »

Thanks Dave and Dave.

Yep, I sure did ride into Naturita and got a few winks and a shower at the motel there.  Along with a rotisserie chicken, a double cheese burger, two breakfast sandwiches, smoked salmon and all sorts of other yummy vittles.  I did resist the urge to wheel over to the liquor store for some Nor-Cal mixin's though.   icon_biggrin

http://nick.zadrozny.com/post/318559399/the-norcal-margarita

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 11:34:16 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »

Here's my ride report: http://zipspot.blogspot.com/2011/06/grand-loop.html

Thanks again for all the support and well wishes everyone, happy trails!

Jim

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 10:08:22 AM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »

Great effort and write-up Jim!  I am glad you and others are still ITT/touring it and telling everybody your experience.  The GL is something I have been very interested in for years, but it always seems too intimidating, especially seeing so many people have to abandon throughout its history.  Someday I will see what it has to offer and what I can give it in return. 

All said, are you happy with the date you picked to do this?  Anything you would do differently?

Topic Name: grand loop Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »

Well done Jim.  I am very happy to see you finished this beast!!  Much respect.  Thanks for the words, pics and grit that it took to finish it up.

LOL on the "Scott/Chad" riding up, then dropping the SPOT.  Probably wasn't that funny at the time...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: