Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? on: April 12, 2017, 11:08:09 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:08:09 PM »

VX21 seems to be all the rage these days for frame bag side panels.  I made my own using 1000 cordura and whilst it is heavier g/m2 it has lasted over 3 years and is really tough.  Just wonder what others on here use and whether VX21 is worth using.  It is quite hard to find here in the UK and I am yet to find a supplier of red.

Thanks

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:34:26 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:34:26 AM »

In my experience, the biggest difference is stiffness and give. The cordura conforms more, while the vx21 is more rigid, presumably because it contains laminated layers rather than a coating

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:39 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »

In my experience, the biggest difference is stiffness and give. The cordura conforms more, while the vx21 is more rigid, presumably because it contains laminated layers rather than a coating
I have done a bit more research on VX21 and it appears as though it is actually a material for making sails.  Maybe I am mistaken, but I have not seen VX21 used in any other bag industry so find it surprising why it is being used for bike packing gear.  Yes, it looks great, but is it not just "fashion over function"

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:00:00 AM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »

So VX21 is made by Dimension-Polyant, and they started out making laminates for sails. But the Xpac line of fabrics is part of their "recreational" series, specifically marketed towards pack applications.

If you look around there are quite a lot of companies making packs out of Xpac, not just bikepacking companies. But mostly small companies. I think one of the reasons for that is that the laminating process is still under patent*, and all the fabric comes out of Connecticut and is pricier than what the big backpack companies use that's made overseas.

It's also new, sometimes it takes a while for things to catch on.

*I'm not 100% sure it's under patent but I think it is, at least there are no knockoffs out there that I'm aware of.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:18:56 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:18:56 AM »

Here in the UK suppliers of vx21 are in short supply.  In fact, I can only find one and they only have limited colours.   No red or blue.

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:35 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »

I've made bags with different weight x-pacs, cordura's and dyneema composites (cuben fiber). Honestly x-pac is my least favourite to work with especially if you've got it on a roll, it just doesn't flatten out nice and makes it fussy to work with. The availability of colours you can get cordura's in and the ease of getting it make it a great choice. I find 500d sufficient for bikepacking bags. While most expensive, personally making kit out of dyneema composite is my favourite. Super light, sews easy, looks cool and again is super light!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:09 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »

where did you buy your

dyneema composite

fabric? 

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:42 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »

where did you buy your

dyneema composite

fabric? 

Zpacks... http://www.zpacks.com/materials/waterproof-fabric.shtml

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:54:15 AM
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »

One thing to consider when comparing VX fabrics to Cordura fabrics is the method of waterproofing. 500d or 1000d Cordura has a coating on the inside to make the fabric waterproof. There is also a DWR on the face to prevent "wet out." The coating on the inside (and outside) is vulnerable to abrasion, mildew etc. as it is in direct contact to your gear. (think pokey bits like stoves) The VX fabrics from Dimension Polyant not only have a DWR on the face but also a waterproof layer laminated in between the face and a separate lighter inner fabric. This protects the waterproof barrier thus increasing it's lifespan. They are really very different fabrics and a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Bottom line, if it will be dragged through the dirt- use Cordura. If you want it light with some structure - go VX.

Bedrock Bags - Andrew Wracher

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 07:29:30 PM
Meadowbolic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »

The X-Pac also absorbs less from the elements (mud and water) which gives it an even lighter weight out in the wild compared to Cordura (especially the worn cordura Bedrock mentions). 

ROCKGEIST - Bikepack USA
www.rockgeist.com

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 04:23:15 PM
dreilly

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

I make bags too and I like X-Pac...waterproof, the inside won't get that peely, flaky rot that the urethane coating on cordura will, and the extra rigidity is nice. I've used dyneema from Zpacks. I really like it, but it is very expensive. There is actually an even stronger version of that fabric, Hyperlite Mountain Gear uses it, for example, but I've never seen it for sale as a fabric. One reason I use X-PAC: DP is a great company and is very happy to work with small makers like me. Trying to get the Dyneema people to give me the time of day was difficult. I had to "apply" to be part of their program. Meanwhile DP sent me extensive samples and always responded to emails in a day.

The ultralight hiking companies seem to favor dyneema, silnylon, etc. Xpac does seem to be heavily used by the bike bag industry, but not just bikepacking. Messengers, etc.

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:08 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »

Even in ultralight backpacking, I think DCF and silnylon are less popular than other choices when it comes to backpacks - they are more used in tents.

I'm not a huge fan of DCF when it comes to packs (either backpacks or bike bags). It is really at it's best in shelters, where the weight advantage is huge and it's not subject to much abrasion.

It also doesn't take stitches very well and tends to pull apart along straight seams. The hydrid version with polyester layer is better, but at that point it's nearly as heavy as Xpac and less durable. VX21RC seems to me to be a better choice all around at only 1 oz/yd heavier than the hybrid DCF.

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
dreilly

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:40 PM »

Nick,
Yeah, even the hybrid stuff can pull away at the seams. I am redoing my frame bag now because of this. It also has a very unique "patina" to it as it gets used, all wrinkly like a confused seersucker. Not everyone likes that. I am excited to try the vx fabrics....they have one that is a cotton canvas with their laminates on the back. Not light, though.

How do you help protect the seams so they don't pull out as easily?

Topic Name: XPAC VX21 vs 1000 Cordura? Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:51 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »

The best way to avoid DCF tearing along seams is to use lap seams, ideally with a triple step zigzag stitch, then backed up with tape for extra strength. But that's pretty hard to do on a pack - it's much easier to use on a shelter (for instance along a ridgeline).

Also use the smallest needle you can get away with. That helps too.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: