Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag on: December 21, 2015, 08:41:21 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »

I have a carbon cyclocross frame that I am making a full frame bag and toptube bag for, and I am  wondering about width of them both, and bulging in the middle of the frame bag.

How wide should the frame bag be?
How wide should the Toptube bag be?
Any one have any issues with frame bags bulging in the middle?

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:23:02 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »

Also does anyone know of anything I can build into the bag to stop bulging?

nothing I need to store is super wide, just the following:
Passport
1 Spare tube
Electric shaver
toothpaste/tooth brush
tent poles(along the down tube)
50ml chain lube & rag
100ml liquid soap
sun protection balaclava

and if possible to get ride of my top tube bag aswell, I also hope to fit
Multitool
Puncture repair kit
tyre levers
100ml sunscreen
bike lock
wallet
disposable shower cap
small power bank
small 2 port AC USB charger and 2 short cables

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:02:38 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »

To make it width adjustable you could add internal velcro horizontally like a Revelate gas tank has vertically. That would also separate the lower half of the bag from the upper essentially so you could make it a two-compartment bag with two zippers.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:46:38 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »

I cut the width part of fabric from 3.5" - 3.75" wide. This includes the seam allowance. Unless your frame is really huge or you're super picky, don't worry about stopping the bulge. It will happen, and unless it rubs on your legs, just let it happen.

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:53:36 AM
brassnipples

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:53:36 AM »

If you line the bag, an interface layer between the fabrics helps to cut down on some of the bulge.  I like using a thin (1/16 inch thick, the stuff used for for protecting dishes when moving) layer of closed cel foam and bind it to the fabric using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, it provides structure, an additional waterproof layer, and gives the bag a nice solid feel without adding too much weight.

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:57:27 AM
jcluddite

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:57:27 AM »

Hi allan,

width on the bags I build is 3" when finished, 4" cut with a 1/2" seam allowance on each side. same as a water bottle. there will always be some bulging in the frame bag, so this works out well. laminated fabrics like the Xpac fabrics are best for frame bags as the don't stretch like normal pack fabrics due to their laminated construction. If you need help find this fabric let me know. I have it in stock and can sell you some at my cost.

internal baffles really help control the bulge. As someone mentioned Velcro works. short nylon webbing with side release buckles work easier. I usually sew a 6" long panel 2/3's the way down the bag with equal amounts of open space on each end, same width as the frame panel. with the open space on the end i can fit tent poles, pumps ect along the down tube.

you can see my work here www.alpineluddites.com    let me know if you have more questions.

jc

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:25:54 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:25:54 AM »

I have decided I will go with the width of my down tube, 2in (5cm)

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:02:11 AM
ocary

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »

Go wider.   

My first framebag years ago was in that neighborhood for width.  It got shelved and a new wider one made very shortly there after.   I highly recommend 2.5 to 2.75 inches at a minimum.

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 04:17:38 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »

Go wider.   

My first framebag years ago was in that neighborhood for width.  It got shelved and a new wider one made very shortly there after.   I highly recommend 2.5 to 2.75 inches at a minimum.

In my frame bag I am having a large cut out for a 1L water bottle and cage on my seat tube, so the frame bags internal space will be pretty small regardless of and extra half an inch in width, in saying that though I will jump on the bike this evening and measure up the width to see if I can get away with having it wider without leg rub.

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:49:57 AM
werkinit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »

hey Alan333, wondering how this worked out. I am currently in the planning stage of making a commuter frame bag for my carbon road bike.
I noticed from my first mock up that at 2" width fully stuffed I have a bit of leg rub at a portion closer to the seat post. I suspect my 2 3/4" front end may
cause issues when standing up pedaling up a hill but is fine when sitting. Road bikes are very different than my mountain bikes.

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 03:12:32 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »

depending how finnicky you are you can always pinch and fold and stitch one or both of the side panels to take up slack If you overshoot it or the seams stretch. I've done this successfully in the past.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 02:12:11 AM
Gudan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 02:12:11 AM »

The most suitable width is 5cm for the whole triangle bag

Topic Name: Width of Frame Bag Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 03:19:45 AM
Johnson Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 03:19:45 AM »

I have a carbon cyclocross frame that I am making a full frame bag and toptube bag for, and I am  wondering about width of them both, and bulging in the middle of the frame bag.

How wide should the frame bag be?
How wide should the Toptube bag be?
Any one have any issues with frame bags bulging in the middle?

The size of the bags I make is three" when finished, 4" cut using the half" seam allowance both sides. Similar to the water bottle. there's always going to be bulges in your frame bags and it works well. Laminate fabrics such as that of Xpac fabrics are the best choice for frames since they do not stretch like regular pack fabrics because of their laminated structure. If you require help finding the fabric, let me know. I have it in my inventory and I am willing to offer it at my expense.
Internal baffles can really help in reducing the bulge. Like someone said, Velcro can be used to control bulges. Webbing made of nylon that has side-release buckles make it better. I normally stitch an 8" long panel about 2/3's of all the way down the bag, with equally space at both ends, the same size of the frame. With the space at the end, I can accommodate the tent's poles and pumps etc. on the tube that goes down. On the other side, I will recomend you something new like electric bikes, self balancing scooter and hoverboards which is really awsome for you so please visit this site. www.selfbalancingscooters.net
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: