Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Why Convert a MTB to Gravel? on: September 06, 2023, 04:11:31 PM
LarryJ

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2023, 04:11:31 PM »

Hello All.  After a few decades away from cycling, I'm becoming interested again.  There's lots of changes in bikes since the late 1990s.  I was a road cyclist and did three week long tours with large groups (1500 riders).  No longer have the road bike, but some time ago I bought a low-end MTB, a Diamondback Response Sport, hardtail w/disc brakes and 3x8 gearing. I don't use it much and now live far from mountains.  I see lots of videos showing old MTBs being "converted" to gravel bikes.  Such a bike would certainly be more appealing to me, but it seems to me that a MTB would be rather small for Gravel bike.  It also seems like I could do better by selling (or keeping) the MTB and buying a new "Gravel" bike to suit my needs. 

Topic Name: Why Convert a MTB to Gravel? Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 07:21:49 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »

The bike industrial complex says you need a brand new gravel bike. It will be inspired by 90's mtb geo but will of course be brand new.
on the ohter hand....
Mountain bikes have been used to ride gravel well since forever and any old mtb will handle gravel so there's really no need to buy a new bike.
on the other hand...
New bike day is awesome and you should just buy a new bike.
on the other hand.........
Your old bike likely needs new tires and 2 skinnier tires is cheaper then a whole new bike.
New bike day....I mean if you have the cash just sitting there. 

Topic Name: Why Convert a MTB to Gravel? Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 03:00:45 AM
Billiebob56

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 03:00:45 AM »

I did this with a 1995 Marin Hawk Hill, and I love it!

I used an adapter for the conversion from quill to ahead stem.
I managed to get shimano shifters that were compatible with the original shimano gears (light usage meant they still have years left in them!)
The satisfaction of the carrying out the build makes it worthwhile alone!

The only thing I would say is that its a bit heavy, but this is compared with a road bike so you can probably discount this!

The whole thing was built for less than 150(Pounds Sterling), including Shifters, brake pads, new tyres, stem, stem adapter, handlebars & tape.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: