Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tips on bug proofing my setup on: April 30, 2016, 01:49:44 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »

I own a North Face Tadpole 23, older model and a great tent. But somewhat heavy to lug the entire setup around if I don't need to. Using the rainfly and ground sheet I can cut weight substantially.

However, in the Iowa summers we are frequently camping in buggy fields and as you can see, this setup leaves lots of space for mosquitos, gnats, etc to eat me up at night.

I suppose I could grab a large section of netting and drape it between the poles and rainfly. Thought of nuking the ground with deet as an alternative.

Any other ideas or pics if what others have done?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tips on bug proofing my setup Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:06:26 PM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »

Do a search for bug bivy.  Mine is a Walrus, which means its really old.  Many have two small poles that go over your head and can be set up with out any tent overhead so you can use them under the stars.  Some have a string that attaches them to a high point (your tent, a tree, a shelter beam).  Same with floors, some have them, some don't.  If you are willing to sew, it would be an easy thing to do.
DEET... Have fun convincing the bugs to care about that.

Topic Name: Tips on bug proofing my setup Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 05:23:54 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 05:23:54 AM »

I'd be more prone to use the tent and ditch the fly if there is no chance of rain. I have a Eureka Midori solo that is on the heavy side. If I know that it is going to be dry, I can leave the fly at home or in the worst case take a very lightweight tarp along. A lot of that depends on where I'll be camping though.

A buggy night is a bad night. BTDT too many times through the years.

Topic Name: Tips on bug proofing my setup Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:55:39 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »

In general, I avoid the rainy nights, so you are correct that just using the tent body would work for the majority of my trips.  Or, a bug bivy style. 

I have been using a regular bivy, but between the condensation problems and having to get in/out in the middle of the night, it is a pain in the ass for this 50yr old body.

This setup is my attempt to get light weight for a longer, week long trip.  Eventually working up to multiple weeks (TDR).  It did occur to me last night that I could hang 6'x6' mesh from the pole above my head for sleeping.  Anything more than that is taking too much bulk (compared to tent body).

Topic Name: Tips on bug proofing my setup Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:07:55 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:07:55 AM »

I'm riding the TDR here next month. Not as part of the grand depart but a week later. One thing I looked at was some very lightweight netting to use as a head covering. By lightweight, I mean ultralight. Go to WalMart or a local fabric store and look at their sheer fabrics. Your tent might look like a bridal palace, but it will be bug resistant.

In one of the TD videos that I watched, a guy had ridden through some of the famous peanut butter mud. Along the route, he came across an irrigation ditch and took his wheels and frame and washed the mud off of them. As he did so, he was inundated by mosquitoes. In a similar situation, It'd be nice to have something to keep them out of the face and off the head.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: