Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Rebuild on old Flash 29er questions on: April 27, 2019, 11:33:55 AM
gpramuk

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »

So... My suspension is toasted, my front wheel tacoed, need new brakes... It would be about $600 in work conservatively to get it back to it's former glory.

So i was thinking going full rigid for a dirt road bikepacking rig. Maybe go a little on the plus size for front wheel to make up for lack of suspension.

With a boost fork like the Tandell 29+ Carbon Rigid Fork, I could fit up to 3.0, but would probably run more like 2.6. My rear tire could probably only be a 2.3 or 2.4. That would cost 170 + the $40 headset reducer. Or I could get a cheapo rigid fork for like $70 and the headset reducer. Then I would need a new front wheel, which I could get fully laced, preferably. I wouldn't mind going tubeless while I'm at it, so two new wheels, need new tires anyway... And while I'm at it, could I change to a 1x drivetrain?

Would it be worth it to do these fixes on a 2010 Flash 29? I'm also shopping for a newer mountain bike that could handle something like AZT. But I think I could get my old ride dirt road ready for $400 ish?  WIth the tubeless and drivetrain, that would definitely drive the cost up.

Any input?

Topic Name: Rebuild on old Flash 29er questions Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:28:45 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »

I was in a similar situation last year, looking at dropping 600 into an older FS 29r. Finally gave up on it and picked up a Salsa Timberjack. It's not the lightest but the plus tire is a sweet setup. If I wanted to do longer rides I would go with the 29er wheel version. I think this is one of the least expensive bike's with enough quality parts to handle AZT style trail. I also have an older rigid 26r frame with a carbon fork that fits 700c rims only about 40c tires fit in the back but I have a 29x2.35 front. I have ridden some of the easiest AZT on this bike, and with a 26x2.3 in the back I have done Lemmon Drop trails. That was a while back and I won't be doing that again ever.

I spent my money on the Timberjack the rigid is just parts I had. If I had to choose I would put my money into a real mtb.

Topic Name: Rebuild on old Flash 29er questions Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 06:29:42 PM
gpramuk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »

Thanks! I'm looking at parts and it is a total can of worms...

Timberjack looks good. There as also a Santa Cruz Chameleon for sale locally...

Topic Name: Rebuild on old Flash 29er questions Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:12:35 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »

Yep can wiggly worms, luckily I had only bought the tire before giving up on the FS and the tire is on the rigid so no loss. For the AZT a FS would be better and if money's no issue the lightest possible. Just happy to have a frame that fits tapered forks so I can get a new one when needed.

Topic Name: Rebuild on old Flash 29er questions Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:36:02 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »

going 1x will cost you lots of money for no real advantage
a 1x set up with a cheap 11/10-50 cassette will be heavier than an old 3x8 XTR set up
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: