Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: MYOG seatbag - Lengthwise or Crosswise?? on: February 27, 2016, 09:09:34 AM
veeayvee

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would like to have a go at a bit of bike packing and wanted to make my own seat bag.

Is there any particular reason that most seat bags are designed so that they run lengthwise, parallel to the rear wheel?

The fastest and simplest construction will be a straightforward holster, same as most peeps use on handlebars, to hold a dry bag 90 degrees to the rear wheel. I am guessing that this will remove the problems with tail wag etc.  Other than a possible aerodynamic disadvantage, which does not bother me as I am not racing, is there any other reason for running the seat bag parallel to the wheel?

All input from those with experience of different types of bags will be much appreciated.

Topic Name: MYOG seatbag - Lengthwise or Crosswise?? Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:22:51 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would like to have a go at a bit of bike packing and wanted to make my own seat bag.

Is there any particular reason that most seat bags are designed so that they run lengthwise, parallel to the rear wheel?

The fastest and simplest construction will be a straightforward holster, same as most peeps use on handlebars, to hold a dry bag 90 degrees to the rear wheel. I am guessing that this will remove the problems with tail wag etc.  Other than a possible aerodynamic disadvantage, which does not bother me as I am not racing, is there any other reason for running the seat bag parallel to the wheel?

All input from those with experience of different types of bags will be much appreciated.

Depends on your application..

The touring style caradice bags are wide, but they're better (not exclusively) suited to non technical terrain; road, gravel, double track, easy non steep single track. I've got an old Rivendell one that I use for my commuter and have toured with it's great for it's intended purpose.

Wide bags are harder to get behind on technical terrain and have the potential to hit your legs. Even the 'standard' sized seat bags from most of the main makers are quite large and can be a challenge to negotiate on technical terrain. All it takes is one 'oh shit I'm going over the bars' feeling on some steep stuff when you're trying to get behind the seat and you end up sitting on your seat bag not able to get your weight further back to let you know.

Your idea would in theory totally work, provided it doesn't hit your legs (can be annoying) or you don't really need to get behind the seat too much. Mock one up and let us know how it goes!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: MYOG seatbag - Lengthwise or Crosswise?? Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:28 AM
veeayvee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

You can tell that I am not an experienced MTBer as I had not thought about the getting behind the seat problem. I am a roadie with avulsed hamstrings so cannot ride my road bike for a while so thought a bit of pottering around on an MTB would be just the thing. Not planning on  doing anything steep and technical. Cannot afford any more injuries just now as also recovering from rotator cuff surgery.  Was just planning on getting off road and seeing the countryside rather than thrills and spills! 

Topic Name: MYOG seatbag - Lengthwise or Crosswise?? Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:32:29 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

You can do this but beware that your lower butt/upper rear thigh may well make contact with a cross-wise bag. That has been my experience. Also there may be some concern with air resistance. In my experience copying the great masters has brought me success / don't reinvent the wheel.

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: MYOG seatbag - Lengthwise or Crosswise?? Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:58:29 AM
bikelite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:58:29 AM »

If you have a crossways handlebar bag, the same on the seatpost is no more air resistance. You've already ruined it up front.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: