Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:25 PM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

Has anyone tried making their own bladders? Or maybe know of the material that's used by the big companies that one could get to make their own? I want to make a bladder that fits perfectly in bottom angle of my framebag, but don't even know where to start.

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:39:41 PM
mtntraveler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »

I had the same idea a while back but never got anywhere with it.  Hope you get further along with it then I did.  Post your results when it comes to fruition.

Jacques

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:12 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »

MSR http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/basecamp-water-treatment-and-hydration/hydromedary-hydration-system/product

Web site says they are made from Cordura. Then they add an extra coating to the inside, at least that's what it looks like to me. Not sure how you could make one on your own. Cool idea just seems like it would be very hard to pull off.

All I can think of is that you would start with plain Cordura then look for some kind of non toxic coating to line it with. That seems like it would be the crux. How do you line the inside of something. And making sure that what you use is safe.

Best of luck in figuring it out. I can't see myself putting that much into something I can just buy for not that much cash. Seems like water will fill the space as long as it has room to move. Buying a slightly larger bladder should allow for it to flow into the space allowed.

Not trying to put down the idea just my .02.

Tim

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:41 PM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

I've seen heat seal-able fabrics that are supposedly water-tight...or maybe try the materials/techniques used for packrafts...dunno if any of them are food-grade though...

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#heat%20sealable%20packcloth
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Heat-Sealable-Nylon-Fabrics

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:43 PM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »

YES!!! That is exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for. And the reason for trying this versus a stock bladder is a) I'm a huge weight weenie and b) I'm a little dude, so don't have much space to give up in my frame bag. If I actually use the full volume of the bottom corner of the bag, I can fit nearly 3L in the same space that I currently fit only 1L using stock bladders, which also happens to be almost 2/3's of my bag. And, I've got a tricky little idea for water treatment that is going to make getting and treating water take less time than filling a bladder at a faucet. I know it seems silly, but every time I stop for water and treatment its usually a 5-10 minute ordeal and with a little bit of doing, I think I can cut that down to a minute or so. Add that up over a week or more... Cause we're racing...right?

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:51 AM
kbabin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »

What is the dimensions of the bladder you want to make?   I wonder if the vacuum food saver bags could be pieced together to make the size you need.  I would assume they would be water tight, but don’t know how durable.

Kev

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:45:41 PM
donnieboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »

YES!!! That is exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for. And the reason for trying this versus a stock bladder is a) I'm a huge weight weenie and b) I'm a little dude, so don't have much space to give up in my frame bag. If I actually use the full volume of the bottom corner of the bag, I can fit nearly 3L in the same space that I currently fit only 1L using stock bladders, which also happens to be almost 2/3's of my bag. And, I've got a tricky little idea for water treatment that is going to make getting and treating water take less time than filling a bladder at a faucet. I know it seems silly, but every time I stop for water and treatment its usually a 5-10 minute ordeal and with a little bit of doing, I think I can cut that down to a minute or so. Add that up over a week or more... Cause we're racing...right?

Yes, you would need measurements, heat-sealable food grade plastic and a hose, perhaps with a clip on it to go on your shirt, handlebar or frame etc.  Just buy plastic thick enough to limit punctures.  You may need silicone sealant at the joint from bag to hose.  I saw a post from one guy who ran a strong wire from one downtube waterbottle bolt hole to another on his seattube.  He did this to support the bladder from getting in the way of pedalling feet and footrub.  The water wants to spread the bag out and move around as you move your bike.

Topic Name: MYOG Bladder? Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:51 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »

Hey found this..... Might be helpful. Not DIY but flexible and easy storage for wherever. http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/HydraPak/Hydrapak-Shape-Shift-Reservoir.axd

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: