Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? on: March 11, 2016, 05:28:40 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2016, 05:28:40 AM »

I'm in the process of finishing a couple of items to be part of a handlebar mounted system and the bar mount is the last item to think about.
My tent is about 18" in length which is the determining length factor.
My sleeping bag compression sack compresses down to a 7.5" x 8" roll which doesn't want to play well with the tent. So, I'm almost finished with a 6" x 18" dry bag for my sleeping bag. It will be waterproof and not compress the down as much as the compression sack.
I am also making another 18" dry bag for sleeping clothes. Perhaps 3 to 4 inches in diameter. These are clothes to wear to keep the bag clean on the inside as well as around camp.

Once finished, I will have 3 18" long bundles that I want to attach to my handlebars. I have some light waterproof ripstop (RS) fabric and some non waterproof ballistic nylon (BN).
I am thinking about using a layer of the BN on areas where the bag might rub and RS for the rest of the bag. I'm thinking about making the RS roll up to keep water out.
I'm wondering if others have gone this route as well.

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:20:30 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:20:30 AM »

Just a thought, but do you need three bags?  Can you put your clothes and sleeping bag in the same stuff sack.  Can you make a waterproof bag to to put your tent inside and then put that in your clothes/sleeping bag stuff sack?  It would seem that one bag would carry better than three.

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:29 AM
watercamper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »

First, I don't have much experience bikepacking (yet - still thinking up my design and my wife is on the thread injector making her seat bag) but I have tons with ultralight backpacking and river rafting.  I NEVER set up my tent/tarp to be packed with anything that needs to stay dry.  Remember, you may be packing that tent/tarp soaking wet.  I sometimes even have 2 separate bags, one for the tent (dryer) and one for the soaking wet fly.  On a typical soggy morning, I prefer to get everything packed while under the tent/tarp and then pack these last in their own bag.  I also try to have them easy to access so that if I get a chance during the day, I can quickly bring them out to dry.  I think you are on the right track with separate bags.

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:44 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:44 PM »

You will cuss yourself with three bags. I use a main bag, inside which I put my pad, sleeping bag and some clothes in a dry sack, and tent or bivy in another dry sack. The main handlebar bag is cradled in a sling type mount, so I can loosen the sling straps and slip the main bag out - heckofa lot easier than trying to stuff things into a bag permanently attached to the bars.

Can't imagine bouncing along trying to keep three slippery loads tied to the bars!

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 02:07:30 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »

slim down more if you can. I roll my quilt, bivvy, and pad all in one  bundle. see if you can't do without specific sleeping clothes and maybe swap to a smaller sleeping bag or quilt or none at all if it's summer and you can just go long johns a hat and a puffy.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:38:52 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »

Watercamper makes a fine point though: having a separate storage space for wet gear is a good idea; being able to get to it on the fly to take advantage of a dry spell is just bonus points.

Does it have to go on your handlebars? Can/have you used the space in your frame triangle?

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:22:49 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:22:49 AM »

The main gear rollout is for the Tour Divide in mid June. I'm not leaving with the grand depart but rather leaving a week later.
My main sleeping bag is a 20 degree bag; however, I might pick up a 40 degree one depending on the weather trends for the upper part of the route. Since I'm not going to be riding a race pace, I'm trying to find the line between to much weight/bulk and ensuring a bit of comfort if I have to bed down in a cold rainy or snowy environment.

Topic Name: Handlebar roll bag. Any input? Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 02:15:24 AM
Gudan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 02:15:24 AM »

Я делаю вот так:

* photo_2021-09-15_12-07-59.jpg (121.83 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 380 times.)
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: