Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Gore TeX framebag? on: April 19, 2018, 01:01:52 AM
Lindsay

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »

Hey all I was in the opshop and spotted a pair of mountain design gore TeX pants real cheap. They were not my size but have plenty of material to make a frame bag. I havnt seen any frame bags made from gore TeX and was wondering the reason behind this. My 2 assumptions are that it is either too expensive, or that it isn't abrasion resistance enough for this purpose, in which case I could look at adding another material to the area that would be most affected. Let me know what you guys think.

Topic Name: Gore TeX framebag? Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:15:07 AM
Idahogre

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:15:07 AM »

I made a couple bags with gore tex this last year.  They haven't been used much so I'm also interested in others long term feedback, but so far they are holding up nice.
The first one had cordura on the lower quarter to be more durable against potential pedal/crank rub.  The left over gore tex was just enough to be the perimeter of the second bag.  I'm hoping frame rub will not be a problem.
I lined both bags to make sure the lamination didn't wear from the inside.

Topic Name: Gore TeX framebag? Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 06:02:18 PM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »

My thought is why?  GoreTex is a breathable fabric in a situation where breath ability is not needed (unless you are keeping a hamster in there).  As such you are paying for a material that is simply not useful for that purpose.  A Goretex coating is more fragile than a non breathable coating.  There are many coated non-breathable fabrics that would be lighter weight and more durable.
If the pants aren't your size, maybe you could experiment with modifying them to fit you better.  The seams you make would not be sealed or waterproof but the overall pant would do the purpose of keeping you mostly dry.  A pair of mittens, a hat, shoe covers, a pair of winter pants that are gore tex in the front and breathable in the rear are all ideas that would be a better use of the material in my personal opinion.

Topic Name: Gore TeX framebag? Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 05:44:26 AM
Two Tired

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 05:44:26 AM »

(unless you are keeping a hamster in there)

icon_biggrin
. . . only in Vermont.

Topic Name: Gore TeX framebag? Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:07:01 PM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »

Well done. thumbsup

Topic Name: Gore TeX framebag? Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:25:57 AM
Lindsay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »

Cheers for the advice, durability was my main concern on this.I have just ordered a custom bag with vx21 xpac and 1000d. Decided to leave this one to the pros as I have a big trip planned soon.
 I am looking forward to making my own one day and might do so for my commuter/ pub bike.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: