Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Frame bag - velcro straps question on: August 25, 2019, 03:33:38 PM
nametag

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »

Hi,

I'm looking to build my first frame bag, and was wondering what the best way to handle the velcro straps.

Are there any advantages to sewing material onto the back of the velcro before attaching to the bag? I see some bags with and some without and not sure what the advantage of added material is.

Also, what would be a good length length for the velcro straps on a steel road frame and 3" wide bag?

Thanks!

Topic Name: Frame bag - velcro straps question Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:27:41 PM
Mikepemulis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »

Hi,

I'm looking to build my first frame bag, and was wondering what the best way to handle the velcro straps.

Are there any advantages to sewing material onto the back of the velcro before attaching to the bag? I see some bags with and some without and not sure what the advantage of added material is.

Also, what would be a good length length for the velcro straps on a steel road frame and 3" wide bag?

Thanks!
I don't sew fabric onto my Velcro.  What I do is just to tack a piece of webbing along the bag so that it acts like a daisy chain.  That way you can move the Velcro around to see how it fits best.  This is also good if you are competing for frame space with a top tube bag or something.   

As far as the length of the Velcro, it depends on the bike and tubing.  I use double sided Velcro tape, and I just measure and cut it when I'm first putting the bag on. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Frame bag - velcro straps question Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 04:52:00 PM
drbobj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »

I am still learning about making bikepacking gear, I have made two frame bags so far and some feedbags. I have done a combination of methods for straps, mostly I use webbing first figure out the length I need, add seam allowance, sewn into the seam. I use a slide so I can loop the webing through it and then fasten it to the velcro. Once the sizes are cut, velcro sewn on and slide, then sew it into the seam. I have used the daisy chain option as Mikepemulis suggests, but only on the attachment points for the seat tube and down tube. When using webbing straps in a daisy chain I don't think I get as snug of an attachment. So for the top tube straps I  used 1 inch webbing toward the front and rear and in the middle section I did use the same material as the frame bag to make about a 4 inch section of material on each side of the bag to cinch over the top tube with velcro on each piece. This gives a good firm attachment to the top tube. I do have this photo, can take some better ones if you are interested. It doesn't really show close up on the straps, but you can a least get an idea of the white material top anchor strap

* 2019_11_Gould Mesa Trek Bike.jpg (136.04 KB, 789x679 - viewed 888 times.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:13:27 PM by drbobj » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: