Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Request: Frame bag construction help on: December 29, 2015, 12:31:02 PM

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »

Edit: I have since made the bag. Scroll down to see.

Hi all,

I've been doing research on construction a framebag and then a saddlebag and front roll. I purchased 1000D Cordura, HyperD300 (http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/hyperd-300/products/hyperd-300-black), 1.5" adhesive velcro, and other hardwares such as zippers and thread.

I have seen the popular video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDRiexLA0I and I notice my fabric is a lot flimsier than the X-PAC fabric they are using (I purchased what seemed to be my best option).

My questions are:
  • Can I use my HyperD300 fabric for the majority of the construction of my framebag, or should I use partial Cordura to strengthen it in areas, such as the part which touches the frame?
  • Can I stick my adhesive velcro onto the ripstop fabric, sew it on, and then use it (the store didn't have any non-adhesive velcro available)

Thanks for any help!

[/font][/size]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:21:08 AM by 835 » Logged

Topic Name: Request: Frame bag construction help Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:04:41 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »

Don't feel obligated to use Xpac simply because it's the most commonly used material.  While I haven't used the Hyper 300D material you purchased, I've had great luck with some 300x400d Mini Diamond ripstop for many of the bags I've made.  This includes a frame bag that I've been using for 3 years now.
As for the adhesive velcro.  I can't see any portion of the construction that you'd want to first "stick" it to the fabric before sewing.  And with that said, sewing through adhesive velcro will quickly gum up your needle and make a mess of the machine.  So I'd go ahead and hold out until you get your hands on some standard velcro.  I typically head to Rockywoods.com...
Good luck!

Topic Name: Request: Frame bag construction help Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 06:43:40 AM
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 06:43:40 AM »

I would not recommend using the HyperD for your frame bag. While it is a very nice material I think it is a little too lightweight for your application. A "stiffer" fabric will be more durable and give your frame bag some structure. The 1000d Cordura would be fine on the "spine" of the bag which will rub on the frame/bosses/braze ons etc. For the rest of the bag you would be better off with a material such as 500d Cordura, Xpac, heavy pack cloth (420d), 600d polyester etc. Save that HyperD for stuff sacks, maybe a ground cloth or pack liner. Good luck!

Bedrock Bags - Andrew Wracher
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: