Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:46 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

I am thinking of making a tiny triangular bag for the large area between my seat stays and my downtube to store two spare tubes. I have variously duct-taped and rubber-tied my tubes to various tubes but I don't like the way it looks. Wondering if anyone has done something about it.

headbang

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:12 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »

Do you mean seat stays and seat tube? I've kinda been thinking about making thin bags to go on the rear triangle. They wouldn't hold alot but you could fit a few things, I worry about interference with the rear tire/drive train though.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:26 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »

I've been curious about making a small bag for the little space between the seat stays and seat tube - above and forward of the rear tire - for something like tubes for a couple years now.  Just haven't done anything about it!  I'd love to see what you come up with.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:52 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »

Right RacingGuy, I mean the seat tube and the seat stays. I am lucky in that I use a bikepacking rig on a road bike, so that triangle area is quite large. I have hand-made my frame bag so making a similar item should not be difficult-- simply cut a cardboard to fit the triangle, measure the width, sew it in three-dimensions inside-out, decide ahead of time how to open and close the thing (I think a flap instead of a zipper)... I'll have to measure the width of two spare tubes. I _may_ even have room for my toolkit in there. Interested to hear what others have to say still. I will post more ideas. Streamline seems like the best option before doing anything that sticks out, though.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:47:07 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »

My bike from a bike tour in Chile and Argentina a few years ago. Funny for me to look at now considering;

a) that was the first full bag kit I made for any of my bikes (minus the CDW seatbag). The mini triangle frame bag was the first frame bag project I ever did after some stuff sacks and other practice stuff. The frame bag being the most complex I've ever made to date; Two compartment, removable middle 'floor' section, secret pocket accessed from the inside built into the liner for spare passport photos and airline tickets etc, it was delux.. ahh myog memory lane.

b) how much stuff I have loaded on that bike and how little I tour with now.

I think I put tubes and tools in the triangle section you guys are talking about. If you've got the frame space it's useful no doubt. Post yours when it's done.

* LHT Chile Tour 2011.jpg (133.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 845 times.)

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:12:02 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:12:02 AM »

Very nicely done! How did those tires work out for you? I'm running a 2011 LHT so we're in the same boat as far as that triangle. Good idea for the zipper placement. And also hooray for Canadian heritage. I think tonight I will have to take some cardboard and get to work. Very good idea for passport/spare cash being hidden on your bike. I can't quite see but it looks like you've got 4 webbing straps holding it to the frame-- 2 on each side?

This might be co-incidence but anyone looking to make their gear should keep in mind which side they dismount. I had planned to make my frame bag zip on the right side of the bike, but since I had everything turned inside out I accidentally sewed it into the left side! But it was a good thing-- I dismount on the right, and getting gear while reaching over your bike is way easier than trying to get it out of the side you're standing on!

OK, I will get to work tonight.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 04:24:17 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 04:24:17 AM »

For a 400k and 600k brevet I carried 2 tubes in a small bag with a Velcro strap wrapped around the front hub.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:50 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »

Wait, as in extra rotating mass?! I can't say that i would love that, though at least it isn't the pedal and brake routine of some mountain bike trails

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:46 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »

Thanks for the compliments. As mentioned this was the first ever bag I made after stuff sacks, I was pretty happy with it.
I've since sold the bike, but it fun was while I had it. I reduced my 'stable' to 2 bikes and am quite happy with that.

Tires were ok. Kind of middle of the road for everything but not great at anything. Great commuting/city tire. Slowish on paved roads compared to 32's, not nearly enough volume for my preference was the main thing though. I went back to Chile last November/December and rambled nearly 2000km's on 2.35" ikons run tubeless on 29er Arch EX's. Waay better for the dirt and gravel especially on the construction sections of the Carretera Austral.

Couple key points that worked well for my version of the rear triangle bag...
*I created the shape with poster board and tape in 3D first. Not half as complicated as it may seem and it gave me an idea of shape and volume.
*Bag opens when the zipper is pulled down, seems simple, but think about it opening the other way.
*I used a very thin piece of plastic for rigidity along the bottom side. If you go this route you may want to line it with thin CCF to prevent any possible annoying knocking around of tools and things. I didn't have this issue but some may depending on what they're carrying.
*I used 3/4" hook and loop around the seat stays to keep the bag in place. The seat tube section hook and loop was placed as such to mate properly with the frame bag.

My corners have gotten a lot tighter since that first bag Wink
Have fun on your project!

* LHT rear triangle bag.jpg (151.25 KB, 720x960 - viewed 818 times.)

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:22:47 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »

Just another couple days and I'll have my mini-triangle bag done. Just gotta sew down the corners, add straps, and she's done. The main bag itself is ready to go.

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 05:42:47 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »

Sorry for the crappy pic. I could take it off/upload nicer pics if anyone's interested. Hand-sewn with a needle, goretex military bivvy material, and dental floss. Took the zipper out of there too. It's about 3" wide and not tapered to the seat stays-- I didn't feel like going through the trouble and it helps fit my tubes better anyway. 2 tubes in there, and a little extra room for maybe a cliff bar or something but not my tool bag. Thanks all for the help in creating it, it does exactly what I want. Held on by 3/4" lightweight webbing and velcro.

glasses2

* downsized_0228041613.jpg (25.62 KB, 512x384 - viewed 658 times.)

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:44 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »

Nice Work! Looks good in there. You gotta get on a machine, it's really not that hard to learn and you're myog'n stoke and productivity will go through the roof.

Well done!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 05:55:19 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »

Thanks man! You were a big help to me.

The stitching quality is higher than it looks, I promise. The frame bag to the right of it was my first project and I was in a *bit* of a rush to get it done in time for a tour, but it has held up for almost a year now just fine. A sewing machine would definitely help keep out water, though. And I figure if I can hand sew I must be able to use a machine. And yeah, productivity levels... unrelated to bikepacking, I want to make all my own clothes to get rid of that nagging 'I'm wearing slave-made stuff' feeling I get.

I think my frame bags take on water at this point. (Maybe I should install one of those drip-hole rivets like they have for jungle army uniforms.) Right now I'm working on a combined bedroll bag and handlebar attachment system. Basically a roll-top closure bag with two male buckles sewn on which will attach to two female buckles sewn onto my handlebars. I'll take pictures of the full set when I'm through!! Hopefully by the end of this weekend.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:05:43 AM by roadpacker » Logged

Topic Name: Does anyone have an elegant way to store spare tubes? Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:50 AM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »

Looks great!  You definitely should get a machine, man.  Smiley   Then the MYOG bug can truly bite.

One piece of advice for your next bag: sew your straps onto the outside face of your fabric panels first, before you put any of them together.  The straps should all be pointing inward.  Then you sew the bag together inside out, and the straps get "captured" by your seam.  When you flip the bag right side out, the straps come out of the seams looking really nice.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: