Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: DIY water bladder on: March 26, 2018, 11:24:45 PM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:24:45 PM »

Has anyone ever made their own water bladder to custom fit their frame bag?  I can’t help but think this would be a good idea. For me in particular my frame bag is not all that large and being on a full suspension frame the shape is odd enough to make it hard to get a stock bladder to fit. It got me thinking that since the bag itself was custom made to fit why not a bladder to match?

If anyone has, what material and parts did you use? I’ve got plenty of old bladders laying around. I could probably use pats from them if I could track down the same material to make the bladder. I’m sure there would be some trial and error. I’ve started looking at a seamer / welder to join the materials together.

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver

Topic Name: DIY water bladder Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:27:16 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »

I have thought about doing this a couple of times, but I found a workaround that has kept me pretty happy. The Platypus bladder is longer, thinner, and doesn't have that huge port you need to cram into your bag. If you leave it a little under filled, it is surprisingly flexible and can fit into just about any space.

Topic Name: DIY water bladder Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:41:10 PM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »

I do need to just pick one of those up or even the Camelbak longneck bladders and see how it fits.

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver

Topic Name: DIY water bladder Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:43 PM
mtntraveler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:43 PM »

Enjoying the view
 if you get around to making a custom bladder, let the forum know as I've seen the topic here a few times.  I would also like a custom fitted bladder to my frame bag, that would be super. 

Topic Name: DIY water bladder Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 04:38:13 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 04:38:13 AM »

I think the hardest thing would be sourcing food grade materials. Otherwise, you could use pack raft supplies and construction.

Topic Name: DIY water bladder Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:34:44 PM
ForestyForest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:34:44 PM »

I designed an insulated pouch to hold a 3L reservoir on the handlebars.  It has a front pocket for snacks, and a rear pocket that fits a smartphone.  The current design requires an Ortlieb Handlebar Pack to fit correctly, but it would be nice to make it universal eventually.  I offer these for sale on Etsy if anyone is interested.

* pouch2.jpg (375.38 KB, 1400x1062 - viewed 2487 times.)

Topic Name: DIY water bladder Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:42:06 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »

I once tapped a 2 gal bag into a triangular shape, it lasted a couple of years before springing a leak. now I just add a second caped 3l platypus bag, partially filled & get the same amount of storage (smallish ft triangle). platypus bags are also good for springing leaks, but gorilla tape will usually get you through the trip.

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: