Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: DIY seatbag - 3rd of 3 (Need some advice) on: August 08, 2013, 01:43:19 AM
MTBiker from Berendrecht

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:43:19 AM »

Hello all,
Need some advice about making my seatbag.
Can't make up my mind to go for a complete top roll seat bag or a harness with separate dry bag.
I'd like to hear some advantages -  disadvantages of both, since I have no experience in making or using them.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Berten

Topic Name: DIY seatbag - 3rd of 3 (Need some advice) Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:26 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:26 AM »

While I haven't made a harness type seat bag I would think it would be a lot easier and you can then use an existing dry bag.

I have made a few seatbags and out of any bikepacking bag project seatbags definitely require the most work in both design and complexity of construction. Whichever path you choose in both you are essentially making a harness and then either sewing the bag to the harness or having the bag be removable. Not that cut and dry but in essence yes.

In terms of usage I see why some people would like a harness type seat bag and in certain applications could be beneficial but for my use I don't see the point and prefer to use complete seatbags.

Good Luck!
Adam.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: DIY seatbag - 3rd of 3 (Need some advice) Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:14:15 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »

I haven't made a complete bag, but I have made a harness.  In my estimation, a harness is harder to make sway-proof, but is more versatile and easily modified.  For instance, I added a second strap to attach to the seat rails after dealing with major sway.  That would have required hand-stitching on a full bag.  I also have squeezed a few oddly-shaped items (when being used around town) into the harness that a bag would have issues with.  Good luck on whichever you decide.

Topic Name: DIY seatbag - 3rd of 3 (Need some advice) Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:49:25 PM
donnieboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »

If you think you'd want to take the bag off regularly or put different items in the harness, I'd look more into a harness.  If not, no need.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: