Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: DIY rain gear on: February 26, 2016, 08:07:08 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »

Rain gear. Anyone make their own rain gear? I'm looking to make some rain gear (chaps and shoe covers at least) with the latest waterproof fabric that I purchased. It is not breathable at all, but it is cheap enough that if I have a pattern that works and can last for a few months then I will consider them disposable.

The fabric is http://www.ebay.com/itm/262267898697
1.9 oz per square yard

One person that posted somewhere about cycling pants used a small pleat of fabric at the front of the knees. It helped keep the fabric from stretching on upstrokes of the legs.

Anyway. Just some thoughts before I make some gear out of test fabric. I keep old sheets around for test fabric. It works great for prototyping.

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:45 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »

I made these. Only tried them a few times. Sweaty but they're super light, pack up tiny, weigh less than half of the lightest full coverage commercial pants and I would have absolutely no problem bringing them on an extended bike tour where rain is more of a secondary concern, an incase piece.
Details in the post.
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/diy-make-your-own-gear-(myog)/2-0oz-cuben-fiber-rain-pants/

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:14:11 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »

I'm looking at something similar. The sweat buildup is my only concern.
I'll have something shaken out before too long.

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:19:29 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »

I'm looking at something similar. The sweat buildup is my only concern.
I'll have something shaken out before too long.

It all depends on the application. I have full breathable north face pants for my really wet day rides, knickers that I made out of some MEC rain pants and these things. Just like anything context and application vary. Good luck, let's see them when you're all done!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:31 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »

I've been finding some decent prices on Taslan material. $5.00 a yard 58" wide. For $10.00 that's enough material to at least make some pants. A bit heavier but the breathability factor comes into play. Ideally I'd like to have gear that wouldn't break my heart if I lost or ditched it.

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:02 PM
Whiskeyjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »

I've always hated any rain gear I've used while riding. A poncho for camp is nice, and those are easy to make.
 Thankfully, it's extremely dry here in the summer. I don't bother with rain gear after July 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:18:19 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:18:19 AM »

Why not.  The seams will not be sealed which will make anything you make "highly water resistant" but not waterproof. 
I made a pair of shoe covers some years ago out of waterproof breathable fabric and still use them.  A very difficult pattern to make but possible.  I made them so long ago that I don't remember how I made the pattern.
I made a pair of articulated knee wind pants that lasted a for a while (cat pee killed them).  The backpacking light forum is where I got advise for it.  I recently replaced the old pair and did not articulate the knees.  I didn't think it was necessary.  Scrub pants are a cheap easy pattern for pants, BTW.
As far as the need for rain pants... I am a former AT thru-hiker and long time cyclists.  I go with wind pants and a rain jacket for hiking and would probably go with a rain jacket for camp and a wind jacket for riding (assuming its warm outside).  Just too much sweat unless they are breathable.  You could go crazy and make a water proof front and butt and water resistant back and waist band.

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:22:03 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/knee_articulation.php
When I made my pants, I cut the front pattern in half at the knees and added X inches to the middle to take into account for the articulation.

Topic Name: DIY rain gear Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:05 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:05 AM »

Thanks for the link. Good articles on there.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: