Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Concept on: February 02, 2012, 05:38:56 PM
ollie.olsson

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

So, here's an idea for bag I have.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HNOQ_J1f85LC0fxvxoXgldMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

So, I'm thinking about using X-Pac VX21, with water repellant zippers, plastic rod/bar on the down tube so it gets screwed into the bottle holder screw holes. And if if possible, thinking of making a small bag inside of the bag, above the rear suspension for small important equipment, so it's easy to take out and place back (held there with either velcro tabs or clips). Also want to place some velcro loops on the inside of the bag on the top for tent poles. On the other side, I'm thinking of making a thin pocket for maps. The bag will also use 2 velcros which are hard to see in the photo, and there're located on the highest point of the down tube, and one on the seat tube (above the rear suspension).

I reckon the width would be a bit over 2".

And there is a chance of making a velcro divider, but not too sure. There might not be a whole lot of space.

However, I don't know what needle/thread to use. Nylon? Anything more specific?

Any other suggestions on this?

Never made a bag before, I've only browsed through the forum and stole...I mean, been inspired by some of the other designs I've seen.

Pretty sure I'm going to increase the space infront of the rear suspension.

And one thing I've been thinking about, what do you guys usually pack in the frame bag? Heavier items for a lower center of gravity or more easily accessible items?

That's a reason for the racks, lowering my center of gravity. I might ditch the front rack and replace it with a bar bag.

Any and all constructive critique is appreciated!

Thanks!

Topic Name: Concept Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:51:11 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »

If you're tackling this as your first bag, I'd look to simplify it a little bit.  Sewing some of the corners can be a pain, as well as just the mental "step-by-step" process prior to sewing or even cutting.  A velcro divider on the inside isn't hard, and with the use of sticky-back velcro, you could add the removable corner pack down the road, with no additional sewing on the actual frame bag.  The insert in the bag, so that you can bolt it to the water bottle boss is a great idea, and has been done by a few people on here.  It makes for a really clean looking setup, and actually makes the construction a little easier, by eliminating a bunch of velcro tabs.  Thread wise, Gutermann 100% poly thread is strong, and easy to work with...
Heavier items are always a standard go to for putting in the frame bag.  Tools, spare tubes, chain lube, tent poles, even water bladders...

Topic Name: Concept Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:40:46 PM
ollie.olsson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »

Cheers man!

Yeah, I have to admit that it's a big undertaking, but luckily a friend of mine is seamstress who i'll talk to for some help. Otherwise there's always the trusty mom Cheesy

Topic Name: Concept Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:12:03 AM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »

Like JReeves mentioned... keep it simple and be prepared to make this one as your first and if it's usable in the end, you'll probably end up wanting to make changes on v2.0. Spend some time either yourself or with your sewing friends/family thinking about the construction process. Unfortunately, doing one thing in the wrong order can cause a long "ripout" session or basic headaches making something work.

When done though, it's amazingly rewarding.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: Concept Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:58:12 PM
KenSmithMT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »

Check out JerryW 's "Full Bikepacking Kit" post.  He did a beautiful job.  It uses the bottle cage bolts as you mentioned.  For the tent poles, make sure you can get them through the zipper.   Distance from the front end of the zipper to the rear of the pack inside needs to be an inch longer than the poles...

I'm in the same boat, getting ready to build my first set of bags.  Take the time to look at as many of these posts a possible.  There is a LOT of good info scattered through them.

Good luck!

Recreational Endorphin Junkie
...searching for that fuzzy, oxygen deprived endorphin overloaded nirvana.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: