Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: bike coop list on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:02 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »

http://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Bicycle_Organizations&Itemid=100015

A bike coop or community bike shop is a place where you can go to fix you own bike.  A place where they have bike stands and a lot of tools. Many have bins full of used bike parts.  Many have volunteers to help explain how to fix your bike.   The few I have been to will not repair your bike for you.  They will patiently explain to you how to fix it yourself.

I stumbled on this list while following another link on bikepacking.net      

Not all the links are for non profit coops. In a real coop there is no owner and no paid employees.  Just volunteers keeping people on the road.

If you were to volunteer at a coop for a while you would end up with the skills to fix your own bike, and never need to pay a mechanic again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:16:21 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: bike coop list Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:05:31 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »

The localbike shop was called a&b(for al&betty).me being a mechanic by trade,days i had off i'd go see al.

Topic Name: bike coop list Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:13:49 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:13:49 AM »

His daughter worked on bikesto pay hercollege tuition(she wore a bikini wrench'in on bikes, that shop stayed busy.)

Topic Name: bike coop list Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:23 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:23 AM »

Guys from the navy base brought bikes in,just to watch her (i learned alot,and would help out )

Topic Name: bike coop list Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:42:01 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:42:01 AM »

By the end of summer,(at$5.00a rim)she paid her tuition to florida state.

Topic Name: bike coop list Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:32 AM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »

After a few years of casual cycling, I had met a pretty big network of cyclists, but when it came time to have anything worked on, or a new part, I absolutely dreaded heading to the local bike shops.  There is always an ego, as well as a frequent lack of knowledge, and a huge price mark up...  For the last year I've gotten in pretty well with the guys at my local co-op, Reno Bike Project.  It's an incredible place!  They have a ton of volunteers, and a bunch of public work stations and tools.  What they also have going for them, is that they are a full service bike shop as well.  They have 4 full time employees, several of which are excellent mechanics(one in particular has built my last three bikes from the frame up).  These guys have their own stations, with all the fancy Park Tools you'd hope to find.  Every bike I've built in the last few months has been with their help.  They have a QBP account, so they have access to all the same stuff as every other shop, their markup is much more reasonable, and they'll tell you the markup upfront.  Their shop labor per hour is lower than anywhere else(I often get out of this one, but always make a donation in the jar on my way out).  I know a lot of people that have complained about the horrible service they've had at other shops in town, and when I tell them to visit RBP, they seem surprised at what they have to offer...  So, before you decide that one of these co-ops can't help you, give it a go and you might be surprised at what all they can do, and often better and cheaper than others!

They're also very involved in the political realm, frequently advocating bicycle rights, pushing for bike lanes, and even artsy stuff...
http://www.renobikeproject.com/
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: