Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? on: August 11, 2015, 04:17:31 PM
rocbeer

Embrace The Brutality!

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »

Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody out there has made a down tube mounted, smallish pack.  I was thinking of using the water bottle cage braze-ons to mount it, using some sort of plastic stiffener plate sewn inside the bag.  I'm not too keen on keeping a water bottle down there 'cus of mud, dust and poops.  So I was thinking this bag would be a good place for tools and replacement parts that are heavy (keep it down low), not frequently needed, but are still easily accessible on the trail.  Maybe with a big Velcro flap or fastex buckle instead of a zipper since it gets so much dirt up in there. Pics and patterns would be awesome.

Thanks,
Stevan

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:27:08 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »

I think Bedrock makes one. I saw one on Joey Durango's bike before the CTR this year.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:10:05 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »

Maybe the stash bottle?

http://store.somafab.com/stashbottle.html

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:50 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »

Dream4est made one. I believe he carried a water of fuel bottle and repair tools down there.

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:25 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »

I have made a few models
None attached to mounts
Water was harder to carry than clothes or drink mix or food.

* image.jpg (66.77 KB, 391x524 - viewed 1049 times.)

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:29 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »

Dream4est, is that just held on by velcro or webbing straps? I have thought of taking Jeremy's anything bag concept and applying it to a compartment on the underside of the downtube, probably with a webbing strap higher up so it can extend up as far as possible without interfering with the front wheel. The webbing strap could be like a dry bag top that either latches to the downtube or, just thinking now, connects to a buckle sewn onto the frame bag. The compartment would be for tools and water, since those are about as dense of objects as we carry.

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:58:42 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »

Anything cage and bag would work fine for those who don't / can't DIY MYOG

Topic Name: Anybody try to make a Down Tube Pack to go on cage mount? Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:43 PM
honkonbobo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »

Anything cage and bag would work fine for those who don't / can't DIY MYOG

i bought one of the new Salsa anything cage HDs and a Salsa anything bag to go with it thinking i would run it under the down tube. 

given its fairly large diameter the anything bag does not clear my chainrings/chain in either water bottle boss position on my size XXL santa cruz TallboyC.  it does clear on my borealis echo due to the wider bottom bracket shell but after mounting it and looking at the clearances i am not sure i want to go that route and will probably just send the cage and bag back.  YMMV
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: