Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:04 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »

4 years ago, some posts on this forum convinced me to try making my first frame bag. It looked ok, but I made a ton of mistakes. The bag held up for 4 years, including 3 ITI's before it started failing on me. Nothing serious, just a couple of the straps pulling out, and I got tired of pulling the frayed strands out of the zipper. It served double duty on my Karate Monkey and my Fatback.

It can be seen here: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,605.msg7680.html#msg7680

Decided it was time for a new one. Got some fancy, new fabrics, salvaged the #8 YKK zipper and one of the interior mesh pockets out of the old bag and got to work. New bag is lighter, wider, fits the Fatback better and I avoided most of the mistakes of the first attempt while making a couple of minor new ones.

Lessons learned:

-I was smart enough to make the seams on tube panels end on straightaways instead of corners this time, which made sewing the corners less difficult, but I was not smart enough to notch or dog the fabric at the corners, which I now know would make sewing them easier.

-More forethought, planning and measuring would have been nice in the zipper sewing. It's fully functional, but not the cleanest job.

-I really need to practice making straight lines with my stitching...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:10:37 PM by sean salach » Logged

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:34:41 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:34:41 AM »

Curious, are you a lefty? It makes sense to put your zipper on the left if so, I just never thought of it. Looks nice!

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:00 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »

It was actually a mistake... But it works, since I usually push on the left side of the bike, and usually lay it down on the drive side, which is fine since it's a single speed. I'm right handed. I have no intention of operating the zipper while riding.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:16 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »

That works out. Though i never to rarely open the zipper while riding, it is nice to be able to straddle the bike and open it up to grab food, a small layer, etc. But since snow hiking...err...biking means more time on your feet than most mountain biking, I could see that working out well.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 01:13:42 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 01:13:42 PM »

Interesting, I made a mistake on my bag too and put it on the left side, but I push on the right side, and find it preferable to open the bag by leaning over my bike. And grabbing a sammich out while riding you know is easier when you have your right hand on the back brakes to slow your crash into a bush :-)

I like that color, too. Where'd you buy the fabric?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:27:28 PM by roadpacker » Logged

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:05 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »

I got the fabric from Rocky Woods a couple of years ago and just never got around to using it till now. Doesn't look like they have that color anymore.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:22:55 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »

Nice Work!
I purposely put my main zippers on the left side of my frame bags. When I dismount I get off on the left. When I lean my bike against trees, signs, barriers etc the drive side is always against said object leaving the left more accessible. I really don't like leaning over my bike to access things so this works better for me. I'm right handed if that matters.
The way I do it works well for me, each their own. Whatever works for you.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:02 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »

It's definitely personal preference, and it can even be bag specific. For my full frame bag, I'm in and out of it less and I tend to lean it against things on its right side so a left sided zipper works well. For my half frame bag that I use on longer day rides, I'm in and out of it more, and tend to grab things while I'm riding so I like a zipper on the right side, easier to do while riding.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:25 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »

What's the consensus out there about storm flaps vs waterproof zippers? I've always used waterproof zippers but it seems like I see alot of storm flaps lately.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:24:52 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »

I'm thinking that unless you're using a lot of seam sealer, a storm flap will keep out more rain and wet snow than a waterproof zipper will, via the stitching. Storm flap with a standard tooth zipper will also be easier to open and close I think. Next bag will probably have a waterproof zipper though. Because they look cleaner.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 07:35:50 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »

I've never made a frame bag with a storm flap for a number of reasons... extra work, extra weight, they don't look as good (imo) and realistically unless you're making a fully water proof frame bag, which I have yet to see, I don't see a storm flap keeping out that much more water in the long term vs. a water resistant zipper.
I see a storm flap protecting the zipper from dust/dirt/mud more importantly which may help prolong zipper life in the long term, to me though, not worth it.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:24:03 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:24:03 AM »

Hmmm, I've never seam sealed a bag, but that's a good point about trying to seal around the zipper... I think your storm flap looks pretty good, and I agree that it will keep grit out of the zipper. Zippers are my Achilles heel though, especially since I don't have a zipper foot. I'm always bending/breaking needles, missing the fabric, I hate sewing anywhere near the zipper.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:29:47 AM by Racingguy04 » Logged

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:05:41 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:05:41 AM »

Been thinking about making my own bag to get more space out of the frame area and possibly get my water bladder in there. Would you say the cost and time is worth not spending 100+ on a pre made bag? I know how to sew, just not with a machine! Mom and mother in law both have machines I could borrow. But like your bag!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:27 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:27 AM »

I was in the same boat before I made my frame bag. I'd say that I probably spent 8-10 hours and $50-60 on supplies to make my first frame bag. Though, I did have enough fabric, zipper, velcro to make a second frame bag, and a jerry can. I recently bought a seat bag and sling from revelate, and the quality is much better than anything I could make, and it was pretty awesome to take it out of a box and put it on the bike.

So I don't think that it's really worth it for just a frame bag, but I do think its worth it because you learn so much, and you can make so many more things once you make a frame bag. You'll probably have enough fabric to make a full frame bag and half frame bag, and who knows what else.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:34 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »

Making you own bag is only worth it if you have very little money to spend and/or really like making things. My first one I made because of both reasons. I've only really had a good look at the Epic/Revelate and Becker bags as far as professionally made ones go, but the increase in cost over homemade is definitely worth it for the quality of construction and additional features. If I didn't like making things so much, I would own a Revelate or Becker frame bag.

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 11:48:23 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »

If you're looking to save a couple bucks by making your own bag...you won't. $20 to $50 in materials plus 10 to 20 hours of work depending on details and your speed. Never mind the all the hours of fun (frustration) that is learning a new skill may not be worth it for most.

If you're looking to learn a new skill, enjoy design, want to pick up a new hobby, like working with your hands, enjoy the satisfaction that is your own custom made, one of a kind, no one else in the world has this, etc... then yes 100% worth it. If not call Scott from Porcelain Rocket, he's the man and you'll be happy.

Just don't brag too much that you've learned to sew because all your friends will come at you with pants that are too long and shirts that need taking in.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2nd frame bag, 4 years later. Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 08:42:11 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »

Its true, but the good news is you can repair your own stuff too.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: