Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Water bottles on fork on: September 05, 2011, 10:23:41 PM
intheways

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »

I'm looking to add hydration capacity to my rig and I am considering putting some Salsa Anything cages (http://salsacycles.com/components/anything_cage/) on my fork, but I'm a bit concerned as to how the weight might affect handling.  A lot of times I'm riding with my daughter on board and want to make sure that my bike is handling consistently.

Anyone have any experiences with these?

Thanks

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:49 PM
Thumby

Tell me, where is this mythical convenience store?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »

If you are carrying a bunch of weight already, I doubt you'll notice any difference.  I've ridden fully packed with one bottle on the fork, couldn't tell it was there.  I have no experience with the specific Salsa unit. 

Tour Divide 2011 GD

I live on a big round ball, I never do dream I may fall.
And even if one day I do, I'll jump off and smile back at you.  -Jesse Winchester

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:56 PM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »

Sweet!  That's what I was hoping for

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:33:52 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »

The anything cages are pretty big. More like nalgene size and up... A regular bottle cage might be better...

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:01:20 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »

I pack with a tent and thermarest on the fork using anything cages (Fargo Ti), keep it balanced is the best measure. I use a Revelate frame bag and place an MSR dromedary in it for water.

Bigger than a 1L nally, around 5" in diameter.

What seat for your daughter? We used a Weeride for years, now on a LOCT, but on a different bike.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:05:02 PM by Area54 » Logged

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:40:31 PM
VABikePacker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »

I just got my salsa anything cages a week or so ago...a 64oz Kleen Kanteen will fit....im eyeing the hydro flask insulated 64 oz. - i want to put one on each side of the fork and rig up a hydration hose out of em.....supposedly they'll keep water cool for 24 hrs....

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:18 AM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »

I've got a Fargo with one anything cage but never tried it with a water bottle, seems it would maybe jiggle around to much, I have 5 water bottle cages mounted on the bike but another option is a Jandd frame bag & a 50 oz. Camelback bladder in it, works wonderful for a very budget price, Revelate Design tangle bags would be the way to go for more capacity

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:44:54 PM
VABikePacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »

I currently have a tangle with a 100oz. bladder in it...I was thinking if I can get the water on the fork and get a hydration hose rigged up I'd gain that space in the tangle for other things....

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:51 AM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

I pack with a tent and thermarest on the fork using anything cages (Fargo Ti), keep it balanced is the best measure. I use a Revelate frame bag and place an MSR dromedary in it for water.

Bigger than a 1L nally, around 5" in diameter.

What seat for your daughter? We used a Weeride for years, now on a LOCT, but on a different bike.

Same deal...we've been using the Weeride

How do you like the LOCT?  Our daughter loves the Weeride, but she's only 14 mos. and will likely outgrow it in a year or so.  It looks like the LOCT will be a good option.

Looks like a bomber touring setup!  How does the trailer work?  My wife, daughter and I are planning on doing part of the GDR next summer, so I'm working on our setups now.

Thanks for all the replies

Topic Name: Water bottles on fork Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:26:00 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

Our pet monkey was in the weeride until she was 5, she's a petite thing. We had another on the tandem, and would go on week tours all three of us on the same bike, turned heads.

The LOCT is great, bit more freedom, I put a steerer extender in the fork, another long stem on top of mine and a set of cut down bars, so she can steer with me. She's been riding with me since 12 months, shes now 6. We've bombed a lot of single track on that bike, heavy wheels and tyres really help with stability, just point and shoot...

The BOB is great for hauling lots of kit, we also use it behind the tandem on family trips. It's the Ibex with tunable suspension. I'm thinking of an Extrawheel trailer for some future beach/island trips, larger wheel better on the sand.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: