Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:58 PM
cackalak

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

Getting a custom frame built.  I am wondering if I should go with a tradition 2 cages in the frame and one under the DT.  Thought about getting an extra long cage, like the Topeak Modula XL, but not a fan of the plastic part that seems fairly fragile.  Maybe try to get the mounts as low as possible to have good clearance for a Revalate Tangle bag?  Any good set ups you guys can suggest?

On most long rides, I'll have a 100oz Camelbak as well, but for the real long rides with no water stops, extra water carrying capacity would be great. Actually, as I am typing this out, I think the 3 regular cages + Tangle bag makes the most sense and gives it the most flexibility.  I may also put a cage couple mounts on the fork as well.

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:41:49 AM
RspinnaKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:41:49 AM »

Cackalack,

I'd have your builder install the standard bottle bosses wether you wind up using a full frame bag or not.  I think your inclination toward the three bottles and half-frame bag is a good one.  With three bottles plus a dromedary or water bladder of appropriate size you'll be pretty much set for long stretches without water. 

On the technical side, I would be sure your builder knows what chainrings and derailleur you'll be using so they can position the cages as low as possible and free up triangle space for a frame bag.  Also, consider a custom frame bag to maximize the carrying capacity while leaving space for bottles.  As for mounts on the fork, they would certainly add flexibility and another option but may just clutter up your pretty fork if you never use them...  I considered this as well when I built my frame and fork and ended up leaving the bosses off the fork.  I don't think I'll regret it.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan King

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:33:19 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »

I use my fork bosses all the time. I usually keep water or food on them. It's found storage down low. Highly recommended. Ask any Salsa Fargo owner.

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:45:12 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »

If you have the space on a low top tube, seriously get some lugs put in for a bidon cage as pictured.

This setup has worked exceptionally well, it is easier to access than a regularly positioned cage and does not hit my legs. If you were a knock knee you could always go for an aero cage and bottle that are a lot narrower but the same capacity.

This is on my ti Fargo 56cm, but as many know the frame is super compact with a low top tube, so my standover is not affected.

This images shows heavy zip ties - which still worked well during testing - but for regular use I have hose clamps.

In my framebag top pocket is a 4L dromedary bag, also run a drinking hose from it to the bars. The bidon is great for quick water stops, electrolytes, filter and treatment (via mesh filter and Steripen Freedom) etc.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:50:20 PM by Area54 » Logged

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:49 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »

On my custom frame/fork I went with 3 bottle cages on the frame; 2 standard placement and 1 under the downtube and bottle bosses on the fork leg. I've used them 'road' touring, I don't think I would use them single track touring. I'm glad they're there though for when I do use them. Anything cages or carrying gear on the fork is not something I am interested in so I just went with regular 2 bolt bosses all around.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:22 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »

I wonder if there is a way to get secure cages on the rear triangle. I saw some pics of a pugsley that used the rear rack braze ons and hose clamps to mount them basically at the rear Axel. Not accessible while riding, but useful if you are going through a dry area.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:40 PM
dadana

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »

Check out Joe Cruz's Pugsley. He has the rear triangle water bottle mounts. I strap 3 Lezyne water bottle cages and a Salsa Anything cage onto my Fox Float fork with 1 - 1/2" hose clamps. I use Revelate Designs handlebar bag, full frame bag and a rear seat bag and the bike actually rides better with the weight on the fork. Kind of low tech but they have made thousands of miles of GDMBR bad road without breaking or screwing up the fork.

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:52 PM
cackalak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »

Thanks for all of the inputs.  This confirms that I will go for the two regular bottle cages in the main triangle, mounted low as possible, and one under the DT.  For now, I will leave out the fork bottle mounts.  If I find that I need them, I will get the builder to either build another fork, or have the mounts put on at that time.

The TT bottle mount is interesting.  My TT will be curved, so it might present some challenges.  I'll think about it, though.

As far as derailleurs, my bike will be SS-specific, so no concerns there.

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

I've also seen 2 mounts on the DT inside the triangle but you'd have to have a big wide open frame and only allows you to use small bottles. I have a curved DT on one om my bikes that I used small nylon spacers under the bottle cage to get it up off the tube a bit more.

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:45 AM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »

Maybe consider having the mounts under the down tube made for a Salsa Anything cage(basically 3 holes instead of 2). That would allow some flexibility down the line. You could mount a regular water bottle cage using 2 of the holes, or you could mount an Anything Cage to carry a larger water bottle, fuel bottle, etc.

Topic Name: Water bottle cage set up? (custom) Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:52:45 PM
iamrockandroll13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »

Maybe consider having the mounts under the down tube made for a Salsa Anything cage(basically 3 holes instead of 2). That would allow some flexibility down the line. You could mount a regular water bottle cage using 2 of the holes, or you could mount an Anything Cage to carry a larger water bottle, fuel bottle, etc.

an Anything Cage is a stretch in that location on a bike with a normal width BB shell. they are very wide and loading it up could compromise clearance down there with the crankset. Might work on a fat bike though with the wider BB shell. Great place for a bottle cage though. I recommend going for all three cage mounts, you lose nothing by having them really. When not in use they are a great place to store a spare set of cleat mounting bolts.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: