Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:27 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »

Price aside. Professionally packed in a cardboard bike box from LBS. Non-stop flight to/from large int'l airports. Which one would you ship your $2000-3000 bikepacking quiver with? UPS or the airline?

Cycling is not rocket science.

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:18:21 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »

neither

price aside, get a hard case.

other ideas
http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/shippingbikecases.cfm

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:07:48 AM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »

Thanks. Fitting a large FS 29er into a hardcase is a pain in the ass.  Everything has to be more disassembled and  packaged so tight I feel like I am more likely to damage the bike packing it or if it gets dropped.

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:28 AM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:28 AM »

from ACA website: "Take note: Shipping companies eat bikes in flimsy cardboard boxes for breakfast, lunch, and late-night snacks."

Send it either UPS or FedEx to a bike shop in Denver.

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:37 AM
MidSouth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »

My medium Niner MCR fits in a hardcase just fine.  Only extra disassembly is letting the air out of the front shocks so that they can compress.  Decision would also depend on your logistics at your destination, are you able to assemble and ride out of the airport or will you have to lug the box around town?

I just shipped my bike from MO to Whitefish, MT with UPS from LBS to bike shop.  Cost $92 insured to $4000 one way.  The bike shop in Whitefish will store my case while on a week long ride and then ship it back to my LBS.

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:19:13 AM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »

I shipped my Marin 29er to Bend last year and everything went perfectly. I have no problems with UPS - I'm asking this because of some special circumstances that require me to wait until the last minute to decide what bike to take with me. So that's where the "convenience" of taking it on the airline (which is $50 each way on Airtran) comes into play. Whatever happens will dictate CX bike for road touring or mountain bike for off-road.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:45:22 PM by dgjessee » Logged

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:25:55 AM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »

How are you transporting yourself to and from the airport?
If you have a rental car a bike box might be a challenge, both lugging it on shuttles and fitting it in a rental car.

Airlines usually limit damages to $1000 or so. UPS/Fedex will go as high as you pay, however they probably won't pay damage, only loss, because even a hard case does not constitute 'adequate' packing in their rules and regs.

One alternative is the aircaddy (shipbikes.com) it will go on planes or you can ship it. It is a huge box, will need a SUV or mini van with the rear seats folded down to transport it with the bike inside. Or take the bike out and collapse the box.

My XL Full suspension 29er fit  in it, but with a fair bit of wrangling, not just the way they show it in their video! Bar off, front brake off, tire deflated, fork deflated, stem upside down, pedals off. Also, you will need a fork mount adapter if your fork is not QR.

However, my bike is huge! I am 6'5" and it is a Full supsension 29er with a 140mm travel fork, it doesn't fit in most bike boxes either.

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:30 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

Just took my bike on the plane to England and back. Packed in a cardboard box (double box, tons of padding), no problems, thought the box looked a little banged up and sad at the end, the bike was fine. Was glad I'd brought the airline bike luggage policy printout as both times checking in they tried to stick me with double the price.

As far as price goes, internationally, flying with your bike will likely always be cheaper. Domestically in the US, shipping could be a better deal.

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:34:42 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

Im still debating on how to get my bike from the east coast to CO. Has anyone successfully fit full suspension mountain bikes with wheels in a serfas hard case?

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:12 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »

Amtrak
I have seen bent frames from airlines
I have seen smashed derailleurs from Greyhound, and read about Greyhound not delivering a bike to Antelope Wells. (Did he ever get it back).

So far the train has worked. 

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:23:14 AM
docsurf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:23:14 AM »

I second the thought of using shipbikes.com for shipping anywhere domestic.  Their boxes are great.  I shipped a tandem from Vegas to Philly for $79.

Doc

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:07:37 PM
Noah_Deuce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »

I really like my Pika Packworks soft case - it works awesome on the plane.  And the Stretch model will fit even a big frame.  http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=EEP+Stretch+Travel+Case&vendorCode=PIKA&major=9&minor=1

Topic Name: UPS or Airlines?? Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:13:42 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

My brother recently rode the Death Ride (road riding, I know...) and took his very expensive bike in a soft case on the plane. I was surprised he didn't use a hard case as his bike is mostly carbon and a bit delicate, but he went this route because folks at his LBS who travel and race often, said they prefer it and have never had any problems. Another friend had a derailleur hanger bent with the soft case, but that's the worst I have heard of.

I would be much more nervous about shipping than flying with the bike. I recently shipped some boxes with UPS from CA to NM (non bike related). Not that far, right? How damaged could they be? When they arrived, it looked like giants had played soccer with them. Or maybe rugby. I mean, some serious effort went into damaging these things. I was impressed - in a disturbing and annoyed kind of way. After that experience, I would not ship my bike via UPS.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: