Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:28 AM
evdog

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »

This past weekend Barcy (Scott Forty G) and I started out on an adventure.  I had done some shorter overnighters as prep/gear testing but this would be the first long bikepack for each of us.  We met at my place in Mission valley (San Diego) and drove out to Mt Laguna, parking at Penny Pines.  We would be riding back to San Diego, the ultimate destination being the beach, as well as beers at Pizza Port in Ocean Beach.  I would ride home from there.

Climbing wasn't as much a problem except on steep pitches.

Pic by Barcy

Descending was more an issue with bike handling due to the weight, and our inability to lower seats very far.  Line selection became critical, and speeds were much slower than normal.  I wouldn't say descending Noble was as much fun as normal but it was more about the stoke of being able to descend a technical trail with all our gear, sort of like cheating death if you will.

When you increase the weight you'll find that more things go wrong.  Barcy discovers his hub is loose and must re-tighten

Wildlife was out, but not as much as I would hope for an evening ride

We descend lower Noble without incident.  Barney Rubble was tough.  Barcy cleaned it, I had a dab.

We were starting to get the hang of riding with full load

Pic by Barcy

I cleaned this part of the tech climb but not the far side of the canyon, not that I normally clean that regularly anyways...

Yucca in bloom

Entrance to Stairway to Hell

Doing well on upper Stairway.  Neither of us would clean it.... but we did a lot better than I expected

Reaching Pine Valley we crossed I-8 and got onto the Bear Valley Rd. 

We missed a turnoff for the route I had planned.  I'm not sure it even exists as my topo map could be out of date - we saw no sign of any trail turning off.  The result was an extra 1.5mi with some extra climbing.

Extra climbing leads to extra descent, so not all was lost

Pic by Barcy

We eventually hook up with the intended route.  Either way, it was to be a lot of fire road over from Pine Valley to Corral Canyon.

Eventually Kernan Cycle Trail splits off from the road. 

It is ATV-width moto trail more like other trails at Corral, but still a thrill as dusk approaches

We did not quite reach our goal for the night as I was hoping to get in one more climb, but it would not be a big deal in the scheme of things.  We set up camp and enjoy a refreshment to end the day.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:29:26 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

We woke up at a reasonable time for day 2.  Plan was to be rolling by 730, but cool temps and condensation delayed our getting packed up dry and ready to go.  I think we were about 1/2 hr later than plan and soon headed over to conquer the obstacle that had kept us from moving on up the hill the night before. 

In the dark we weren't able to tell how deep or mushy this crossing would be, so with limited clothing we opted to leave this crossing for morning.  Maybe not a bad move, but I would have preferred to be at top of the saddle for morning sunrise and to start the day with a descent.  Instead, we started the day off with a water crossing and a steep climb.  Was deep enough to get feet wet, I changed into flip flops to be safe.

We rode a surprising amount of Espinosa Trail.  Some was HAB, but I have always HAB'd some of Espinosa.  It gets steep toward the end and is a relentless climb.

Flowy bit

Pic by Barcy

Crossing Los Pinos Road we had nice views.  Espinosa turns into fire road at that point and descends down to Corte Madera Rd

We turn south from there to Skye Valley Rd and then north on Lyons Valley Rd.  Plans to approach Lawson Peak from the north are thwarted by private property

So we approach via Carveacre Rd which is a mean HAB up to the saddle. 

Some offroaders at the Saddle tell us my intended route down (Wisecarver Rd) is gated and blocked by private property, not passable.  Glad to find that out without dropping all the way down and then having to climb back out.

Pic by Barcy

We bail on any thought to bushwack to Lawson peak which would be an additional 90min scramble in mid day heat

Pic by Barcy

Instead, we head back down Carveacre Rd to Lyons Valley Rd, to Honey Springs Rd, to the back side nasty climb up Honey Springs Truck Trail into Hollenbeck Canyon. 

Pic by Barcy

We had Hollenbeck to ourselves aside from one Gator and four friendly equestrians.

From the top of the fire road into Hollenbeck it was all downhill singletrack to Hwy 94.

Pic by Barcy

All downhill except for one or two little rises

Pic by Barcy

And another short climb

Hollenbeck was beautiful with a bit of green to contrast the grasses. 

Pic by Barcy

Hollenbeck trailhead

After a bit of pavement we connected onto a nearby dirt road for a few miles

A bit of bushwacking led us back to the road.

We stopped there at a store for re-fuelling and managed to poach a swimming pool at the adjacent campground.  In all fairness, Barcy asked permission from some lady riding a golf cart.  Its possible she was just a camper, but looked legit enough as far as we were concerned...

Pic by Barcy

Refreshed, it was on to Otay Reservoir.  There is the option next to Otay Lakes Rd of taking the California Hiking and Riding Trail, but it is in reportedly poor condition (rocky and overgrown) so we gave it a pass.  Somewhat of a bummer, I would think the South bay guys would be all over fixing this trail up as it would be a killer connection from Otay to Hollenbeck.

Pic by Barcy

On to Otay, we skirt the eastern side of Lower and then Upper Otay Reservoirs

Our destination for the night is the lower hill on the left

We stop in Eastlake at Albertsons to fill up on water and grab some provisions (beers) for the night ahead.  With an hour to spare before sunset we head up Rockhouse.

Pic by Barcy

The climb up Rockhouse wasn't as bad as I imagined.  I cleaned the first tough switchback at the bottom.  Walked some steeper parts but not that much...

A little late for final sunrise at the top but we still manage to catch some epic light on the way up

At the summit, priorities started with capturing the moment, then opening the beer, then setting up camp

View from the top was excellent

My soda can alcohol stove performed flawlessly

I was a little surprised there were no night riders up there, but I guess on a Saturday everyone gets there rides in during the day.  No matter, we enjoyed a perfect evening up on the mountain with awesome views and great beverages. 

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:59 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »

...Too many beverages, as it turned out...Wakeup seemed to come early.  I was up in time to get some shots of pre-sunrise.  While there was not the heavy marine layer that would have made it spectacular at sunrise, it was awesome all the same.

Sun rising

Views were incredible as the sun rose

Our friend Gil rode up in the morning to meet us.  Recounting the prior night's ride...

Pic by Barcy

He showed up far before we were ready to leave, so he rode down to meet billy without us

I think we rode out around 830 or so

Pic by Barcy

Descent off rockhouse was a blast

We descended to Sweetwater Reservoir, then crossed Bonita to the Performance shop.  From there we turned south and climbed up Cemetary

We crossed a couple inner canyons towards H Street

And picked up a New to me trail on the south side of H street that took us towards I-805

You never know what you'll get with canyon trails but this one was pretty good

Pic by Barcy

From there we had a 3 mi pavement ride south to Otay Valley Regional Park.  I continued due west across the Park to Silver Strand

It took me across to the bike path for Bayshore Bikeway, a path that is to run around the whole length of San Diego Bay.  I picked up the Bikeway and followed it up the Silver Strand to Coronado

Coronado is incredibly scenic.  While there was some dirt up the Strand next to the paved path it didn't bother me much that the rest of the way was paved

Ride into Coronado was awesome.

A short ride across took me to the ferry terminal where I was just in time to catch the 2:30 ferry.  First view across was the USS Carl Vinson at North Island Naval Stn.

Nice view of the bay was next, including Coronado Bridge

Welcome Home?  Thanks!  (USS Midway Museum)

Nice view of the bay

From downtown I followed bike paths around to Point Loma where I picked up some bonus singletrack next to Canon St, climbing over to Sunset Cliffs

Once at Sunset Cliffs I explored a bunch of short trails and enjoyed the view of the water

Some challenging trail led back to the Ocean Beach Pier where I got back on to pavement for a little over to Dog Beach

Always a favorite

The bike survives! (barely, the v-brakes had worn deeply into the back rim which seems to be cracked)

Proof of arrival

Lots of folks playing in the waves

After a couple beers and some pizza at Pizza Port I had a bit of a spin back home on the bike path

Of course I couldn't resist a slight detour to Tecolote Canyon where I was able to pick up an additional mile of singletrack.  I helped maintain this one, so it was extra cool being able to incorporate it into this ride

The most refreshing of beverages waiting for me at the end of the ride. 

This trip has got me more stoked on riding than any trip I've done lately. All I have been thinking about lately is how I can turn any ride or trip into a bike pack. Seems like the possibilities are endless... Gooseberry, Tahoe, anywhere in AZ, you name it you could put an epic loop together.

Stats were: 127mi total over 3 days with 10,400ft climbing and 15,600 descent. 1st day was 24mi, 2nd was 51mi, 3rd was 52mi.

I was interested to see totals by surface type since I wanted to maximise dirt:

40mi singletrack
23mi fire road
37mi pavement.  Aside from two long stretches most sections were short, didn't seem like 37mi.
8mi dirt path (6-8ft wide smooth DG paths the cities in SoCal like to call "trails")
17mi paved bike path
2mi ferry ride from Coronado to downtown

It should be possible to tweak the route to add more ST and fire road, and eliminate some pavement.  Regardless, it was a fun route that took us on some back roads we would never have seen otherwise.  Very cool to explore your back yard this way!

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:26:13 PM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

Great write up! Congrats on your success!

Kip Young

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:44:04 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »

Great ride and great report.  Thanks!

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 08:10:58 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »

Great report, and good on you for taking the time to take and post pics! Was kinda cool, sitting here in Aus, 1000's of miles away, seeing those pics of Noble and recognising the particular rock gardens of Barney, Stairway etc, got me reminiscing a ride there early last year.

One thing that amused me on the top road just before the lookout to Storm Canyon...

* P1000299 rz.jpg (182.42 KB, 648x486 - viewed 598 times.)

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 09:08:39 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »

Great work, evdog  thumbsup

Nothing better than devising your own route and executing. I dig seeing loaded bikes sending the tech terrain. Style points for the rim brakes  Wink I enjoyed the report, keep stoked and hammering...

Mike

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:01:20 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:01:20 AM »

Thanks for posting all of the pics looks like a fun route.

Next time your in AZ we'll have to put something together.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:27 AM
paulmissoula

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »

Nice report. Looks like a hell of a ride. You guys sure had some nice camp beverages!

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:51 AM
bigworm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »

Woohoo!

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:20 AM
thelocust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »

Niice looks like a great trip, I'd love to see a GPS file for the route, seeing what others have put together always helps when planning your own adventures.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:32:26 PM
Aslan

Simple, reliable, light

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »

What a great way to make a local ride epic.  It is always good to see pic heavy write ups of new routes.  Where are you going to go next and what will you be drinking along the way?

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:53:26 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »

Nice work!

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:27:22 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »

What a great way to make a local ride epic.  It is always good to see pic heavy write ups of new routes.  Where are you going to go next and what will you be drinking along the way?
Thanks all!  Have been doing some backpacking lately, and fishing.  And riding of course (tahoe, downieville, montana, etc).  Looking to put together some routes that will incorporate either of those into one bike pack trip.  Tim/Vern, we will definitely be back to AZ this fall and winter!

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 08:00:42 AM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 08:00:42 AM »

I don't use the word EPIC very often. This trip looks Epic. Thanks for putting this TR together.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:48 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »

Do you have a GPX file of the route I could see? If so, send her over to chadfbrown at yahoo dot com.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 11:31:01 AM
Chunt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »

Nice pics and write up, plus you have great taste in sprits as well.

Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:27 PM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »

Great report, I'd love to see the GPX as well - the trails look awesome.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:24 PM
stumpyfsr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »

Great trip and pictures are amazing. Now I know why people carry those bags - you gotta have em to carry all that glass  icon_biggrin thumbsup
I gotta make something local too. Hard to find decent trails in Twin Cities though  icon_scratch

Topic Name: Trip Report - Riding home from Noble Canyon (pic heavy) Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:06 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »

Great report! Two summers ago we rented a little place right near that dog beach in Ocean Beach. It was lovely and I ran that hike/bike trail several times (going out and back, its great to just throw your shoes off and jump right in the water). The morning we left, we went for one last beach visit and saw dolphins swimming off the coast. So cool! Thinking of going back this summer with my brother and our families. Would involve getting out for an overnighter, so this is great inspiration. Thanks!  thumbsup
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: